• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Where's the Live Reports?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I logged in today to read the live reports for the weekend's Dauphine and Tour de Suisse stage races, but they are nowhere to be found. Are they gone? Do I need to search the archives?

I would agree with others that, when going to cyclingnews.com, you could go straight to the "complete live report" and enjoy the race, even if the outcome had already been decided. Now, you have taken all of the suspense out of it.

Wow, my early mornings in July just got a lot more boring. If the live reports don't return, this may be my only post ever on these forums.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Live Posts & Results???

I too am left wondering where the 'Live Reports' and 'Results' have gone?? Instead, today I see straight away that Cavendish wins the 3rd Stage of the Tour de Suisse. I agree with the jimster - my mornings have suddenly become more boring. Seriously guys - I have enjoyed CN for some time now, but you were alone in that you kept the suspense intact! Please do bring the Live Reports & Results BACK!

A

Anonymous

oldsteel206 said:
I too am left wondering where the 'Live Reports' and 'Results' have gone?? Instead, today I see straight away that Cavendish wins the 3rd Stage of the Tour de Suisse. I agree with the jimster - my mornings have suddenly become more boring. Seriously guys - I have enjoyed CN for some time now, but you were alone in that you kept the suspense intact! Please do bring the Live Reports & Results BACK!

yup.. that completely ruined it for me..

THANKS A LOT CYCLING NEWS :(

please replace the names of winners with STAGE ?? RESULTS so that those who want to can go through the live reports line by line, or those that perhaps are about to watch it can visit cycling news without having it ruined..

MAJOR FAUX PAS

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Spoilers, Live Reports

- Please do not post results on the home page! Lots of people come after the fact to read through the complete live reports and experience a little of the race drama.

- Don't presume to know what we want to see. Cyclingnews was great because it offered everything in a fairly balanced design, letting the user go to their preference. I, for one, never read tech or "soft" editorial.

- What is the difference between "News" and "News Editions"?

- Where did "Live Report" go??

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
wdymtlrt said:
So the Dauphine-LR is there (http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/...phinelibere097). But how do I get there? [Road]>[Races&Results]>[Dauphine].... I would expect it somewhere there! Am I blind?
I also couldn't find any Tour de Suisse LR, just in case there are any.

The live reports from the Dauphine aren't on the new site as yet. Live reports done on races from now on (I'm not sure when the next one is scheduled) will be there - yes, where you expect - though.

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
Access to live reports

I concur with some of your other readers. It is important to me to be able to access the live reports without seeing a headline announcing the race results. That is why I avoid VeloNews after a race, if I did not watch the race live and have yet to read the live report. I do not want the headlines to spoil my pleasure in reading how the race unfolded. You should do live reports for the Tour of Switzerland. Live reports are great. They complement live video. I often find myself switching back and forth between the two. Live reports are also a great historical record. It is nice to be able to go back in time and read what really happened instead of the post race spin.

We're going to do a live report tomorrow for Suisse, so give it a look tomorrow afternoon.

As to the "spoiler" issue: I am on the other side of this. It was always more important to me to know as soon as possible who won. And as a news site, I think we are obligated to put the news up and announce the winner, not hide it.

Susan

(When I say "we" are doing a live report tomorrow, I mean me. I am, shall we say, not particularly technically-talented, so I hope the new system isn't too hard!)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
It was always more important to me to know as soon as possible who won. And as a news site, I think we are obligated to put the news up and announce the winner, not hide it.

I strongly disagree, at least in execution. I think a much better solution is the way you folks always did it: a simple link to the results. One extra click doesn't hurt anything, and it gives people the option of not having the entire race spoiled for them. I for one like to read the complete live report to follow the race; this is rendered moot if the winner's name is plastered right above the live report link. The comments on the forum thus far indicate that I am very far from alone on this point. Please remove the spoilers, we don't want them.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Susan,

Your reply says it all about the site re-design. Lots of people saying they want to read a live race report without knowing the winner in advance. Your response is that it's not going to happen as you're a news site - I think sometimes the customer knows best. After a (hard) day at work I too want to catch up on the race without knowing the result. It was one of the best features of the site (by accident or design I don't know). If I'll get the result regardless then I may as well go to Velonews/L'equipe etc. (Even the BBC website now gives cycling results if Cavendish wins!) - maybe offering an alternative view/service is a good thing.

Spoilers are such a non-issue for me, that I only today realized that they never before appeared on the CN front page.

Frankly, I don't know whehter there was an editorial decision to change that, or whether it is simply that the headlines of the stories are used on the front page now.

I will puruse this for you.

Susan

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Spoiler poll

Susan

put a poll or survey on the homepage about spoilers and I would bet it would be 95/5 against. In fact, this is a subject that raged for years on the newsgroups. Here's a post of spoilers from 1997 http://groups.google.com/group/rec....ec4a1b8b5?lnk=gst&q=spoilers#bfb63d6ec4a1b8b5

One of your readers says he consciously avoids other outlets so that he can enjoy "reading" the race unfold in the live reports. I think that the majority of your audience does the same thing, and that CN would lose a lot of eyeballs if that feature goes away. There is always a bit of excitement when you come to the homepage and you see the "Live coverage on now!" link in bold. It's like a little gift.

Thanks for listening.
Scott

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Why limit yourself to only being a "news site"? If you reveal the results in a header, I am much more apt to simply skip reading about it, thereby simply skipping the ads that pay for all of this. That "immediate reporting because we're a news site" is really old fashioned thinking...the web has grown beyond that. Please reconsider not putting spoilers on the home page, it is a bad decision to do so and obviously is meeting with a lot of resistance. I've already spent far less time on cyclingnews than I usually do just because of the redesign.

Also, as less critical criticism, in the news section, I preferred access to the daily "editions" to be the leading items in the news column. I liked having that digest to look forward to. The links to the individual stories are more daunting. The edition allowed me to pick and choose and skim thru, having the individual stories doesn't allow for that.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
Spoilers are such a non-issue for me, that I only today realized that they never before appeared on the CN front page.

Frankly, I don't know whehter there was an editorial decision to change that, or whether it is simply that the headlines of the stories are used on the front page now.

I will puruse this for you.

Susan

Please also we don't need spoilers in the headlines of the race report or have a photo spoiler of the winner. That is why we read the report. If I already know who won from the headline or the photo why would I read the article? The drama has been ruined for me.

Cyclingnews.com was different than all of the other cycling news sites it was created by a fan for the fans and the design showed that. To me what made it great was these small details like no spoilers. So you could read how the race unfolded and you could feel the drama. This just shows that the staff now just doesn't get what made the site great and draw such loyal fans.

I do believe if you guys and gals listen to what the fans are saying in the forums and implement that then we can together make the redesign work. If you don't listen to us then cyclingnews will just be a shell of what it was.

A

Anonymous

its ok folks.. ive found a solution

ignore the website.. go to the official thread on the forum.... :D

and if we all make an effort when watching races to maintain the official thread ourselves there is no need for live reports at all and we dont have to visit the site..

May 14, 2009
Visit site
New CN Site

Absolute rubbish!!! No live reports, no start lists and no result lists which can easily be printed. Get rid of it NOW and bring back the old site.

A very unhappy cycling fan

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hate it...

My wake up routine is the same every day. I crack my eyes open, check my e-mail and then go to the live feed if there's a race, even if the stage is over. I want to live the stage/race, not just read who won. I don't peruse ANY other cycling web pages, because cyclingnews did what I needed so well. With the spoiler right on the front and no live feed, I hate it. Where else can we complain?

M

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Routes and stage profiles gone??

Agreed re keeping results off the front page!
Also along with the live reports where are the stage details & maps & PROFILES??
Previously was all set out well, easy to access info and could go straight to complete live reports to relive the excitement of the stage. hope this is fixed before the TdF. (I know anything new takes getting used to & also there are often bugs but.....) :(

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Yes! Live report stage 6

Great! I actually ate my breakfast while reading the live report on stage 6 TDSwiss! Managed to avoid the spoilers too! :)
Thanks guys!

TRENDING THREADS