• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which clinchers are you riding?

I happily rode the Pro2Race for several years. And then the Pro3Race showed up. Now I get flats all the time. I currently have five Pro3race carcasses hanging in the garage.

It got so bad that I bought a pair of gatorskins, which apparently solved the problem!

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
I ride on Michelin Krylion Carbons (23 front, 25 back, and with Michelin latex tubes), worn out several sets over the last couple of years, no flats, fast rolling, even good enough to race on. I live near the uni-student area of town too, heaps of glass on the road that I have to ride over, so the Krylion's puncture resistance must be damn good.

ihavenolimbs said:
I ride on Michelin Krylion Carbons (23 front, 25 back, and with Michelin latex tubes), worn out several sets over the last couple of years, no flats, fast rolling, even good enough to race on. I live near the uni-student area of town too, heaps of glass on the road that I have to ride over, so the Krylion's puncture resistance must be damn good.

The Krylions are great as are the GP 4000s. I ride the Krylions on the rear with a latex tube and the GP 4000s on the front, again with a latex tube. Best of both worlds I suppose. Never get flats (at least until my next ride after having said that) and I get at least 4000 km out of the rear (krylion).

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I just tossed some ProRace 2's and 3's today, no complaints with either set, they just wore out eventually. Both were on road bikes. I bought some GP4000s and Krylions to replace them, from these comments it looks like I picked some winners.

Specialized All-Condition S-Works. Rarely have flats. Currently at 3500+ km and they're still looking pretty good. Unfortunately I think these are being discontinued.

Years ago I rode Conti GP 3000, but always had problems with sidewall cuts. I would get less than 1000 miles on them. Have they fixed this with the 4000s?

mr. tibbs said:
I happily rode the Pro2Race for several years. And then the Pro3Race showed up. Now I get flats all the time. I currently have five Pro3race carcasses hanging in the garage.

I'm thinking about giving the Pro3Race's a try, but this same complaint has showed up on a lot of reviews. Would they be race-only clinchers or are they not even good for that?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
El Oso said:
Years ago I rode Conti GP 3000, but always had problems with sidewall cuts. I would get less than 1000 miles on them. Have they fixed this with the 4000s?

I Haven't had any sidewall cuts with the GP4000s.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Continental GP4000s for my road bike. Gatorskins for touring. I find both of them bombproof. Since swapping from Vittorias three years ago, I have had one puncture with nearly 20,000km on three sets of tires. I usually kill my rear tire because I am too lazy at the start/end of the season to continually swap between my trainer tire and Contis on the trainer. No sidewall problems either.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
I have historically used the GP4000s on my clincher wheelsets for a race/training tire, it really rides well and is pretty flat proof. This year I'm trying road tubeless and am on the Specialized Turbo TL tires. So far, so good, but I only have about 500 miles on them. My training wheels, which see a lot more miles are currently wrapped in Vittoria Corsa Paves in 24c.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
bikerlar said:
I love my michelins. I live next to the ocean and Contis wear out to fast in the salt air

What? I live next to the ocean too and I've never had a problem with contis.

I'm riding a GP 4 season 28 rear and I got 6,500 miles out of the last one on the rear. The thing was worn down to the casing almost all the way around and I took it off and tried to jab it with a scissor and the thing was still tough as hell. I think I had another 500 miles in it but was concerned with the lack of rubber. I was riding the thing with like 80 psi. Great tire. I have a GP 4000 25 on the front and that thing has lasted forever too.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
buckwheat said:
What? I live next to the ocean too and I've never had a problem with contis.

I'm riding a GP 4 season 28 rear and I got 6,500 miles out of the last one on the rear. The thing was worn down to the casing almost all the way around and I took it off and tried to jab it with a scissor and the thing was still tough as hell. I think I had another 500 miles in it but was concerned with the lack of rubber. I was riding the thing with like 80 psi. Great tire. I have a GP 4000 25 on the front and that thing has lasted forever too.

Try the scissor trick while the tire is inflated to full pressure:D (but keep a firm hold on the scissors). Like cutting a climbing rope, tough when it's slack, but hang your weight on it and it cuts like butter (just ask Simon Yates:eek:)
(NB I'm not saying they're not tough, or tougher than other tires, just saying testing without pressure isn't really representative of real world puncture resistance)

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Michelin Krylion Carbon 23 ft and back; I've been using nothing but Michelins for the past 15 yrs. They made such an impression on me with their cycling tires that I bought Michelins for my cars too.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
dsut4392 said:
Try the scissor trick while the tire is inflated to full pressure:D (but keep a firm hold on the scissors). Like cutting a climbing rope, tough when it's slack, but hang your weight on it and it cuts like butter (just ask Simon Yates:eek:)
(NB I'm not saying they're not tough, or tougher than other tires, just saying testing without pressure isn't really representative of real world puncture resistance)

True, but they don't cut up. Just about all of my flats are from metal staples or splinters of the type that come from steel belted radials. Pinholes are what are giving me flats which I rarely have.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Currently PRO2 Race, seem to cut easily, wear quickly 2-3,000km (93kg), mind you: good braking/handling. Recently used Lithion & Krylions that seemed reasonable.

Replacements to go on next...Gatorskin folding (based on recommendation for durability and puncture resistance).

All above are 23mm.

Have CrossMark tubeless on Trance MTB.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts