• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which GC riders should compete in the Giro instead of the Tour in 2013?

• Andy Schleck

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site

I have put up a list of 10 names in a poll, although if people feel that there are other GC riders that should compete in the Giro, make a post about it in this thread.

When selecting riders, you will have to be realistic when voting for someone about the possibility of actually competing.

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

I have put up a list of 10 names in a poll, although if people feel that there are other GC riders that should compete in the Giro, make a post about it in this thread.

All of them if they want to win a GT, Bertie will be back.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Sanchez - no reason to change focus. Just needs better luck.

Evans - he obviously likes the Giro, and I sadly can't see him finishing on the podium in the Tour again, though I would happily be proven wrong.

Nibali - the clear favorite for the Giro if there is no Contador. Should focus on the Giro.

Skipping Gesink until the end.

Valverde - Vuelta. That's the only place where he will have GC success.

Basso - just plain old.

Menchov - see Basso.

Van Den Broeck - A more friendly parcours and better luck and he could have been on the podium. Two Top 5's in 3 years. I see no reason to change the plan, yet.

Gesink - something about the Tour just isn't clicking. I think he probably needs GT success elsewhere to boost his confidence. The Giro might be a good option. But he's kind of in the same situation as...

Andy Schleck - had no chance this year, but he should wait for next year's route before deciding his plans. If it's anything like this year's route, go to the Giro. But if it's a mountainous Tour, he's proven he's capable of challenging Contador. Beating him, of course, is another matter entirely.

jobiwan said:
Sanchez - no reason to change focus. Just needs better luck.

Evans - he obviously likes the Giro, and I sadly can't see him finishing on the podium in the Tour again, though I would happily be proven wrong.

Nibali - the clear favorite for the Giro if there is no Contador. Should focus on the Giro.

Skipping Gesink until the end.

Valverde - Vuelta. That's the only place where he will have GC success.

Basso - just plain old.

Menchov - see Basso.

Van Den Broeck - A more friendly parcours and better luck and he could have been on the podium. Two Top 5's in 3 years. I see no reason to change the plan, yet.

Gesink - something about the Tour just isn't clicking. I think he probably needs GT success elsewhere to boost his confidence. The Giro might be a good option. But he's kind of in the same situation as...

Andy Schleck - had no chance this year, but he should wait for next year's route before deciding his plans. If it's anything like this year's route, go to the Giro. But if it's a mountainous Tour, he's proven he's capable of challenging Contador. Beating him, of course, is another matter entirely.

It could be the swansong for Evans, Basso and Menchov if they rode and it would be a great contest. Evans probably won't though if his comments are anything to go by. Nibali would be favourite, De Gendt is riding the Tour. Hejesdal will probably do the Tour. A lot depends on the routes. A mountainous Tour would attract riders like Rodriguez especially if the TT kms were limited. Porte may do the Giro or will they keep him for the support role in the Tour ? Andy will do the Tour for sure. Agree that VDB will do the Tour. Scarponi Giro. I would like to see Gesink try the Giro. He badly needs to finish a grand tour and get a decent result. Would Cobo and Anton try the Giro ? Sanchez should ride the Giro as should Zubeldia. I wonder if the Giro route will also be more mountainous next year ?

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
All but Evans, Basso, and particularly Menchov as they are all toasted and need to relegate themselves to week long stage races or hang it up altogether.

Andy Schleck would be the most ideal for a domination streak of the Giro, but at the expense of any Tour victory. Then again, he has little chance of any Tour victory even if he focuses on it 100%.

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Tejay Van Garderen. Did very well but I'm not convinced he's a genuine TDF GC contender yet. Get him to serve a one or two year apprenticeship in the Giro first as a genuine team leader.

orangerider said:
All but Evans, Basso, and particularly Menchov as they are all toasted and need to relegate themselves to week long stage races or hang it up altogether.

Andy Schleck would be the most ideal for a domination streak of the Giro, but at the expense of any Tour victory. Then again, he has little chance of any Tour victory even if he focuses on it 100%.

Don't think Evans, Menchov and Basso will only continue riding to win one week long stage races like Kloeden and Leipheimer. They would probably prefer retirement. Schleck will never win a grand tour without a sports psychologist. I always though he would have done better in a different team to Frank. If Frank takes an enforced holiday it will happen but probably not for long. I would prefer to see Andy go down fighting against Froome and Contador in next year's Tour. Andy seems to ride better when Contador is in the race.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Of course it depends on the routes and lots of other stuff. After no Italians on the podium this year, I expect a Nibali-friendly route. A great route for Nibali would also suit other true all-rounders like Sanchez, Evans, and Hesjedal.

Rabobank needs to send a much better team to the Giro next year - at least one of their climbers.

At the end of the day, its going to come down to what sponsors see as best for them. (Sponsors/Team)

Im sure BMC would rather have Cadel at TDF instead of the Giro and likewise for most of the others.

Maybe Nibali, but given he has just podiumed, he should stick with tour next year.

Hugh

mscaviy2601 said:
Tejay Van Garderen. Did very well but I'm not convinced he's a genuine TDF GC contender yet. Get him to serve a one or two year apprenticeship in the Giro first as a genuine team leader.

He'll bonk in the High mountains and the Giro generally has less TT KMs than the Tour. He should focus on the Tour.

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
As a july watcher, somebody please explain to me why is the Giro/Vuelta/Tour suited for different riders? Isn't it all the same? Like u just need to be good in mountains and TT and you will be successful?

somebody please also explain me why some riders are successful in the Giro but invisible in the Tour de france or some riders invisible in the Tour but shine in the Vuelta? is the gap too short for recovery?

mscaviy2601 said:
Wasn't Belles Filles the only stage he bonked on in the TDF? Not a high mountain.

The giro usually has steeper gradients. Don't think TJVG can handle these.
The climbs used in the Tour weren't much that steep, except for the finale on Belles Filles. There was only 1 HC MTF this year. A giro will have many more tough MTF. TJVG is more of a Time trialler who can hang in in the mountains rather than a climber. These types of riders are generally more suited to the tour.
It's true he's not a genuine GC TDF contender yet, but it's better to do races that suit you.

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
the asian said:
The giro usually has steeper gradients. Don't think TJVG can handle these.
The climbs used in the Tour weren't much that steep, except for the finale on Belles Filles. There was only 1 HC MTF this year. A giro will have many more tough MTF. TJVG is more of a Time trialler who can hang in in the mountains rather than a climber. These types of riders are generally more suited to the tour.
It's true he's not a genuine GC TDF contender yet, but it's better to do races that suit you.

Fair enough. I was impressed with Tejay and he out-GC'ed his young future rivals in Rolland and Pinot but I think leadership is a skill to be learnt just like climbing and TT'ing and learning that skill in the cauldron of the TDF is likely more pressure filled than the Giro and that was my main reasoning behind my point.

mscaviy2601 said:
Fair enough. I was impressed with Tejay and he out-GC'ed his young future rivals in Rolland and Pinot but I think leadership is a skill to be learnt just like climbing and TT'ing and learning that skill in the cauldron of the TDF is likely more pressure filled than the Giro and that was my main reasoning behind my point.

Vuelta will be better for grooming leadership skills. Not this years one though.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
SuperH- said:
As a july watcher, somebody please explain to me why is the Giro/Vuelta/Tour suited for different riders? Isn't it all the same? Like u just need to be good in mountains and TT and you will be successful?

somebody please also explain me why some riders are successful in the Giro but invisible in the Tour de france or some riders invisible in the Tour but shine in the Vuelta? is the gap too short for recovery?

TDF is harder. The competition is harder at all levels - not just from the favorites, but the domestiques are all cherry picked to be the best (usually, at least). Flat stages for the favorites are much more intense than in the Giro or Vuelta so recovery becomes an even more important factor. Overall, a favorite who is slightly less than ideal, relatively speaking, has a far less chance of winning the TDF, ever, unless something bizarre happens like massive freak accidents, someone/teams caught doping, etc. Andy Schleck is the perfect example of this, coming in 2nd and only got a retroactive trophy.

Also, with the Giro, a lot of riders use it as "training" for the TDF, meaning they wont exert themselves for wins. That opens up far more opportunities for a rider who wants to actually win the race or stages.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Until the respective routes are announced it is impossible to answer. As a previous poster pointed out, the Giro is likely to be an "Italian Friendly" affair, and the Tour is likely to be rejigged to try and elicit the suspense ASO had hoped for this year.

orangerider said:
TDF is harder. The competition is harder at all levels - not just from the favorites, but the domestiques are all cherry picked to be the best (usually, at least). Flat stages for the favorites are much more intense than in the Giro or Vuelta so recovery becomes an even more important factor. Overall, a favorite who is slightly less than ideal, relatively speaking, has a far less chance of winning the TDF, ever, unless something bizarre happens like massive freak accidents, someone/teams caught doping, etc. Andy Schleck is the perfect example of this, coming in 2nd and only got a retroactive trophy.

Also, with the Giro, a lot of riders use it as "training" for the TDF, meaning they wont exert themselves for wins. That opens up far more opportunities for a rider who wants to actually win the race or stages.

Not nowadays, with the Giro having tough parcourses. TOC & Dauphine are used more and more as training rides.