• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which manufacturer is having the best season?

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
The updated UCI racking thread started me thinking about which bike manufacturer is having the best season so far. As far as UCI points go, Specialized is in the lead with Astana and Saxo Bank being ranked one and two, with the first two spots in Le Tour, in addition to having won 3 of the 4 monuments raced thus far.

Who else is having a good year, on the industry side of things?

P.S. should this be moved to bikes and gear?

Jul 17, 2010
www.traininspain.net
With good results in the Classics and a good showing in the Tour, Lotto's Canyon bikes are proving to be a worthy Pro steed. For those that don't know much about them, no surprise there - very little marketing and only available direct from the manufacturer.

Despite getting test results = to the best bikes in the peloton the magazines tend to ignore them or downplay them, I guess because they spend so little on advertising.

If it's good enough for Cadel Evans to win the Worlds on and for Philippe Gilbert to power to several victories on, it's good enough for me . . .

Jul 17, 2010
www.traininspain.net
Moondance said:
Specialized by a mile I think. Both Astana and Saxo Bank use them... Ergo, win for them.

Plenty of kudos for Specialized, I wonder what the new Luxembourg team wil opt for and whether Andy and Frank will be pushing for one frame over another?

I recently asked a pro who finished top 10 this year in the TdF if there was "bike envy" in the peloton and he said no, most of the bikes were pretty much similar in terms of quality. He believes the one area where the manufacturers are still able to make a big difference was on the TT bikes, with some definitely being faster than others.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I agree with Specialized having a good year no doubt and I *also* agree with Trek having a down year.

Trek needs to pull away from LA and re-start their grass roots movement on cycling.

For us "old" runners/joggers this was similar to the New Balance running sneakers movement in the 70s. Why run? Why cycle?

Cervelo ran ads on the Versus TV network during the Tour not not featuring any racer like they have in the past-probably a mistake.

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Cannondale is having a good season with Basso winning the Giro, and lots of winning by Sagan and Chicchi in the early season. Great bikes in my opinion.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Moondance said:
Giants are that bad?

Most reviews I've seen of the top end Giants are very positive. Unfortunately they don't have the coffee shop kudos of European brands and dont try to hide their Made in Taiwan roots. Never mind that Specialized are manufactured and minority owned by Merida another Taiwan manufacturer.

Bike snobs also don't like the fact that Giant caters for the low end of the market. For the record, I don't own, nor have owned a Giant.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Train in Spain said:
I wonder what the new Luxembourg team wil opt for and whether Andy and Frank will be pushing for one frame over another?

If the new Riis' sponsor is Specialized I really doubt that they will sponsor another team with their bikes... maybe only Contador cuz he is the tour champion and he is good advertising...

And this year the manufacturer who are doing great are Cannondale and Specialized, they are having a great season! their sales are jumping exponentially for sure...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
let's see, top 2 in the tour, two cobbled classics, one ardennes classic, and then some, specialized win...2nd may be interesting though. Scott under HTC, cannondale with liquigas.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Specialized celebrated the Tour success by giving employees champagne, catered burritos(?), cake, and commemorative water bottles and T-shirts.
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/news/newsDetail/4355.html

And just after I read this thread, I happened across a story on some Asian financial site giving the company Specialized a big talking up.

I don't know about the success with Sky or the future with Caisse, but the Pinarello Dogmas still make me drool a bit when they show close-ups during the race.

Specialized and Giant's carbon frames are made in the same factory.

The top Pros could all trade bikes manufacturers tomorrow, and the results would be the same. Other than time trial aerodynamics there are no tangible performance differences the the top pro's road machines... just graphics an your brand bias. More today probably than any time in the past, It's about the rider.

VeloFidelis said:
Specialized and Giant's carbon frames are made in the same factory.

The top Pros could all trade bikes manufacturers tomorrow, and the results would be the same. Other than time trial aerodynamics there are no tangible performance differences the the top pro's road machines... just graphics an your brand bias. More today probably than any time in the past, It's about the rider.

This.

It kills me when people attribute pro performances to the equipment. (Though I do have a soft spot for people winning on Campy!)

EDIT: On topic, obviously Time or Colnago. What other logos would you spend $4k to ride? Oh, and Fondriest. (Pro-continental counts.)