• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which races will Sagan win?

Which races will he win this spring?

• None of the above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
jaylew said:
Even though he's the obvious favorite, I didn't pick him for MSR. You just never know with that race. Him winning a small group sprint isn't even a guarantee as there are a few guys who could be there who could challenge him.
Well, he just beat Cavendish and Greipel in a bunch sprint, so I find it hard to point at "a few" capable of beating him in a small bunch sprint.

I voted for MSR, GW, RVV and AGR.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
TBH unless Gilbert was in 2011 form I think Sagan is the man in AGR. Surely not the Fleche Wallone, though. I don't know if I'm ready for Sagan to win there. :eek:

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
Well, he just beat Cavendish and Greipel in a bunch sprint, so I find it hard to point at "a few" capable of beating him in a small bunch sprint.

I voted for MSR, GW, RVV and AGR.

And on the stage before plenty of people beat him in the sprint so it's not that simple. In any case I doubt there will be any sprinters left at the finish to trouble him. Sagan and Nibali are going to crush everyone on the Poggio and anyone good enough to go with them won't beat Sagan in a sprint.

Bernie's eyesore said:
And on the stage before plenty of people beat him in the sprint so it's not that simple. In any case I doubt there will be any sprinters left at the finish to trouble him. Sagan and Nibali are going to crush everyone on the Poggio and anyone good enough to go with them won't beat Sagan in a sprint.

I am struggling to see Nibali winning if he waits to Poggio with the move. We shall see.

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I voted for MSR. I can't see anyone else winning that, its tailor made for him and he deserves his first monument. The scenario im imagining is that he ll be following cancellara. Whenever the latter attacks, sagan will go with him to the finish and beat him in the sprint. Any others who tag along will be fighting for second or third.
Or, Sagan will attack on the descent, very few will follow him, cancellara will and maybe nibali. If cancellara attacks on the flat after the descent does anyone reckon whether sagan will be able to follow him?

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Of course one thing with being the huge favourite for a race is you get marked ultra-tightly. If he gets in a move, everyone can try and get in it, then make him do all the work and attack, attack, attack before the sprint. Even Cancellara can be marked out of a race, and he can basically ride anyone off his wheel on the flat, which Sagan can't.

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
The only scenario I can imagine which will see him lose the race is if he gets cancelled out of it like Cancellara in the past two years. If sagan doesn't have team mates with him then riders in a group with him will keep on attacking him and he will have to do the chasing. If he gets away on the descent do you think he will get caught on the flat by at least three or four guys?

TRENDING THREADS