• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which races will Sagan win?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which races will he win this spring?

• None of the above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
gruppeto993 said:
The only scenario I can imagine which will see him lose the race is if he gets cancelled out of it like Cancellara in the past two years. If sagan doesn't have team mates with him then riders in a group with him will keep on attacking him and he will have to do the chasing. If he gets away on the descent do you think he will get caught on the flat by at least three or four guys?

Don't think you can compare the scenarios (Cance cancellation), because Sagan will likely be the best sprinter in the group, i.e he can suck wheels and win.

Damn good uphill, best descender and a top sprinter = Sagan. Its like somebody played with genes here.

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
Don't think you can compare the scenarios (Cance cancellation), because Sagan will likely be the best sprinter in the group, i.e he can suck wheels and win.

Damn good uphill, best descender and a top sprinter = Sagan. Its like somebody played with genes here.

I think he can be cancelled out if the group he is with has riders who ll keep on attacking and everyone else will just sit and let him do the chasing. its the only way he can lose it.

GP Blanco said:
Voted MSR and GW but aren't we overlooking the scenario that there will be a coalition against him and his team is not strong enough to support him in the cobbled classics.

Well he has a big feature that Cancellara doesnt have, he can pretty much beat everybody in the sprint so he doesnt need to go solo like Cancellara, he just needs to follow people

gruppeto993 said:
I think he can be cancelled out if the group he is with has riders who ll keep on attacking and everyone else will just sit and let him do the chasing. its the only way he can lose it.

In theory, but they are likely to be competitors and the pace will be very high (avoiding further chase groups to catch up), so who gets to go first? And can they even go with any level of depth against the base pace?

A small group with 1-2 minutes lead (i.e. RvV) I can see it happening, but MSR is really tricky. Limited time for tactics.

Still think Cavendish is Sagan's biggest direct threat.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Im so looking forward to MSR,and also Im nervous,its biggest lottery race,but I trust Sagan he can pick the right moment to attack;)
and i love this
However when asked by Cyclingnews how he would beat a rider like Peter Sagan, he couldn't stop himself from saying jokingly: "Perhaps it's better if they don't start..."
:D:D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
MSR!

Surprised PR isn't on the list, or has he said he's not racing it? After all the MTB references I would think he'd be on the list for it.

He can't win them all or at least not without falling down the trap of the ducks.

El Pistolero said:
EBH will finally win a classic this year. :D

He better steps up anyway, need some extra competition.
Can't see it happening. Sagan is just too good. Perhaps if he crashes or something.

Also, Geraint Thomas is the leader for all the classics. Even for M-SR. It will be G's role to go with the attacks, while EBH will most likely simply sit on and wait for a sprint. A tactic which will never result in a victory if Sagan is there.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
Can't see it happening. Sagan is just too good. Perhaps if he crashes or something.

Also, Geraint Thomas is the leader for all the classics. Even for M-SR. It will be G's role to go with the attacks, while EBH will most likely simply sit on and wait for a sprint. A tactic which will never result in a victory if Sagan is there.

Lol, GT leader for all the classics? The guy has one top ten in a single classic. If they make him sole leader they've really lost touch with reality. :eek:

maltiv said:

Frankly, EBH needs to look for alternatives just like Cav.

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Bushman said:
That prologue almost didn't have a single flat km.

Wan't it mostly descents? I don't exactly remember the route. But I think Cancellara has the capability of riding Sagan off his wheel. But Im not sure about his form...he wasn't good enough so far this sesason.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Sagan will win none. He'll be a marked rider every time, and everybody will try to get away from a group sprint. He don't have the team to respond to every attack.

Bushman said:
Agree with you, i just didn't understand the argument about the prologue :)

ok, it was used to indicate that Sagan is able to ride on his own at very high speed if he sees an opportunity to win. A relatively long effort. So, yes I think its very difficult to ride Sagan off the wheel on a flat road.

Can Cancellara ride Sagan off his wheel in P-R? Maybe, but we won't see that test this year unfortunately.

There's absolutely no chance he'll win all those races,two or three yeah,seems likely but all the other riders/teams are not fools plus top classics are unpredictable by their very nature,he looked naive tactically in the Ronde last year but has probably improved there too,i'd say MSR,GW and one other out of RVV and AGR.

TRENDING THREADS