• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which riders will be affected the most by the Corona-crisis?

Now that chances are high that most, if not all, of the cycling season 2020 might be lost, I'm wondering which riders will be affected by this the most?

I guess this will be especially difficult for riders who are end of contract. Riders like Van Avermaet and Gilbert can't be happy either as this is one chance less for a RVV (Van Avermaet) or Milan San Remo (Gilbert) win and they're not exactly getting any younger.

Young riders like Evenepoel and Valverde probably aren't bothered that much as they're at the beginning of their careers and still have a good 10 to 15 years ahead of them.

Mads doesn't get to show off his rainbow jersey. Valverde finally gets a worthy Spanish Champions jersey and doesn't get to race in it.

Those hurt most are going to be the many of the older riders and the lower hierarchy riders. Then some of the younger riders who will be out of contract at the end of the season.

Reactions: Cookster15
There's a few guys who were flying and looks like their form will be wasted. Quintana the obvious one but GVA has been riding really well from what I've seen this season. Also Heinrich Haussler seemed to be having a rejuvanation, a shame for him to miss out on the classics.

On the other end of the scale is Van der Poel and perhaps Van Aert with their illness/injury issues I've a feeling they would have underperformed this spring. Dumoulin too gets plenty of time to recover.

As I have stated elsewhere, those who had a poor 2019, for whatever reason, and were relying on a better 2020 for their 2021 contract negotiations (I think that defines most of my CQ Game team). Their second chance to impress has gone.

And maybe those who live in Spain, if the situation whereby they are arrested for going on training rides continues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joelsim
It really depends on how long it will take to get back to normality.
Sure, riders like Froome and Dumoulin have more time to recover, but if there's no pro race until, say, 2021 these guys will start next cycling season with no professional cycling for almost 2 years. And Froome will be 36. I'm not sure they're particularly happy about the situation honestly.

It really depends on how long it will take to get back to normality.
Sure, riders like Froome and Dumoulin have more time to recover, but if there's no pro race until, say, 2021 these guys will start next cycling season with no professional cycling for almost 2 years. And Froome will be 36. I'm not sure they're particularly happy about the situation honestly.

I guess none of the pro riders are happy about the situation. ;)

With Froome being in Africa atm though i think he is at an advantage with for now better training circumstances than most of Europe. That could all change though in the next weeks as this virus spreads also outside of Europe.

Maybe those who love racing, who live to race. Some might take this as an opportunity to think about what else to do with their lives, but I guess for some it's not just a question of finances/ livelihood but also a question of routines they need and some, not lots, might become really depressed.

As I have stated elsewhere, those who had a poor 2019, for whatever reason, and were relying on a better 2020 for their 2021 contract negotiations (I think that defines most of my CQ Game team). Their second chance to impress has gone.

And maybe those who live in Spain, if the situation whereby they are arrested for going on training rides continues.
This. If you had decent form last year and your contract is up then I'd guess it'll get extended as there's no racing to judge if there is someone better. It's the people who really had to impress that will suffer.

The riders association should be pushing all teams to extend rider contracts by 12 months.

TRENDING THREADS