• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which team was the biggest fail in stage 9?

Which team was the biggest genius in stage 9?

• If only Vino was here...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Even Andy Schlecks had some comments on it. Then you know you ****ed up.

With still 120km to go and Froome being isolated while movistar and saxo still had 5 or even 6 guys in the front. And they did almost nothing against Froome.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I wished that Kreuziger would attack, he seemed like he wanted to and he is in the same time as Contador. Of course it might not have preoccupied Froome as much but still Saxo could have gotten something out of this day

Movistar because I believe they really could have done some kind of damage, they looked mighty strong at moments and then...nothing. They even let the win slip under their nose...fantastic :D

Saxo, well I guess they would've risked to drop Velasco :D

Saxo wouldn't have done anything because Contador would not have felt good. They didn't want to awaken the beast so to speak and have Contador go out the back and be done for. Of course, that now requires Contador to be off the planet in the Alps and genuinely challenge Froome.

Movistar do not have the same excuse given how strong both Quintana and Valverde are.

Let's not forget Purito and his Brown dawg either.

Libertine Seguros said:
Saxo, because at least Movistar did something, even if it was far too little far too late. Saxo had several guys who just sat in the group and let it all go on without even thinking of coming to the front.

movistar were riding against Saxo from the start so Saxo knew if they sent Kreuziger or someone up the road he would just knock himself out and get pegged back by Movistar anyway.

They should have both made an alliance of circumstance. both are chasing the yellow jersey who is quite a bit in front of them. they were given a golden opportunity and almost certainly wont get it again.

Ferminal said:
Saxo wouldn't have done anything because Contador would not have felt good. They didn't want to awaken the beast so to speak and have Contador go out the back and be done for. Of course, that now requires Contador to be off the planet in the Alps and genuinely challenge Froome.

Movistar do not have the same excuse given how strong both Quintana and Valverde are.

I think we can add Belkin here. Three guys. Did nothing until Fuglsang and Martin got a gap in the finale.

Ferminal said:

Saxo could however have tried to send Roche up the road with a similar placed Movi rider so that both could get some time back on gc and become a threat for the later stages.

More Strides than Rides said:
They aren't driving cars. They're using their legs, which are susceptible to fatigue. Racers can't just weigh the opportunities they have tactically, but every sensation they have throughout their body.

When you can't go, you can't go

ugh. Movistar clearly had the energy to ride on the front for 100km. Sending someone up the road requires no more energy than what they used.

The Hitch said:
movistar were riding against Saxo from the start so Saxo knew if they sent Kreuziger or someone up the road he would just knock himself out and get pegged back by Movistar anyway.

They should have both made an alliance of circumstance. both are chasing the yellow jersey who is quite a bit in front of them. they were given a golden opportunity and almost certainly wont get it again.

Movistar would have sent Quintana or Costa after Kreuziger.

And then it would all have been down to Froome.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Moreno was in the Porte group back when EBH was pacing it, and crossed the groups, so I'd give Katyusha a bit more of a pass.

Besides saxo and movistar would have eventually went after purito if he tried something.

Andrey Amador just tweeted that it was a super hard stage, but Movistar achieved their objectives, and "they wanted a spectacle, they got one today!" which means, I guess, that if Movistar really did achieve their objectives for the day then either
a) the pre-stage objectives were met, but the plan wasn't flexible enough to adjust to the situation
b) Movistar weren't quite as ambitious in their objectives from the stage as fans might have hoped

What? No mention of Sky being the biggest fail? They lost Kiriyenka to OTL, lost Porte's podium spot, and Kennaugh rode off the small cliff allowing Movistar to take advantage starting off everything...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
"Damn those dopers!!!"

"Damn these riders for not attacking 100% of the time, I want action all day!"

Can't have it both ways guys, Movistar rode a good race. They did attack Froome on the last climb, he responded and matched it. Was a good race overall today, congrats to Garmin

wwabbit said:
What? No mention of Sky being the biggest fail? They lost Kiriyenka to OTL, lost Porte's podium spot, and Kennaugh rode off the small cliff allowing Movistar to take advantage starting off everything...

They were capable of doing nothing at all, it is completely different from having 6 men against 1 for 120 km and doing nothing for 3.5 hours

mikeNphilly said:
"Damn those dopers!!!"

"Damn these riders for not attacking 100% of the time, I want action all day!"

Can't have it both ways guys, Movistar rode a good race. They did attack Froome on the last climb, he responded and matched it. Was a good race overall today, congrats to Garmin

Yet again the conflation of attacking cycling with doping. Remember Levi?

While I wouldn't put a cent on Lucho being definitely clean, the 80s were a completely different era in terms of the science behind doping, and Herrera wasn't the kind of guy to sit in the pack all day on a stage like this.

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I thought Movistar and Saxo did just fine. Movistar isolated Froome and Quintana tried a few digs. Decent effort.
Why would Saxo attack when it was clear Contador would be the one to lose out? It was damage limitation for Saxo today, and they limited it to none at all.

You sure are a demanding lot. :p