• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which teams have had a successful tour so far?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Thinking of gc options, stages, time in breaks all compared to relevant expectation, who's had a good tour so far?

I know it's clutching at straws, but seeing iban mayoz in the break yesterday and Duran 16th on stage 3 that footon might be feeling like they are participating in the tour (I know they are 2nd last on team gc but I have a soft spot for them)

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
QuickStep, no doubt. Three jerseys and a stage win in one day.
Lampre, with two Ale-Jet stage wins.
Saxo, with a stage win and yellow.
Cervélo, with a stage win and green.

That's in no particular order.

QS must be quite happy in the absenceof Boonen. A stage win, a day in yellow and a few days in polkadot will probably still feel quite good to them at the end of the tour since they don't have any real GC hopes and no Boonen.

Lampre is probably also quite happy with two stage wins. Stages were probably their goal going into the Tour.

Most other teams that have done well have higher expectations so they are probably not happy yet though they might not be unhappy either.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
i have to say i think the biggest surprise has got to be lampre......good on them, Ale will pull out soon , then it will be up to il Principe , i just dont think he can manage anything as far as GC, im not even feeling a stage win for him either , i guess its wait and see

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Uffff with no doubts LAMPRE is the big winner this first week... two stage victories for Ale-jet and also getting an oustanding form for the sprint... you could see the good form that he has cuz he is starting the sprint really far from the finish line... the only BUT that Lampre has is the gap that Il Principito Cunego has taken in Le pavé almost 13min :(

The others teams are doing as they expected, except the uniballer team =D

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
But have lost their chance to win!

:confused::confused: lost there chance ??? there team are full of billy goats waiting for the hills.....
funny with boonen being out, quickstep is free to do what they like,an probarly will have a better tour cose he ain't there...good on them :D

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

I actually think Evans is the only who doesnt have shot. It was quite clear he doesnt have it in the high mountains at the Giro and this tour is full of them. In my opinion he needed 10 mins at least going into the alps.

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
mowie133 said:
:confused::confused: lost there chance ??? there team are full of billy goats waiting for the hills.....
funny with boonen being out, quickstep is free to do what they like,an probarly will have a better tour cose he ain't there...good on them :D

Totally agree with you. Radioshack has nothing for the flats but is stacked with super climbers for the high mountains.

Look at levi, kolden, brajkovic, horner, popo all guys that can climb with the best of them. Who does Saxo have now? Fuglsang? Saxo has plenty of guys for the flats. I see schleck being isolated. We already know evans is going to be isolated. And astana? Who knows but i get the feeling contador will only have vino with him.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

Yawn, keep it up. Wanna bet that Armstrong finishes ahead of Evans, barring injuries to either?

I had better include punctures to in case Cadel has one because I realise that having a puncture and losing time is a sign of 'dismal failure' to you.

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
lancewillwin8 said:
Totally agree with you. Radioshack has nothing for the flats but is stacked with super climbers for the high mountains.

Look at levi, kolden, brajkovic, horner, popo all guys that can climb with the best of them. Who does Saxo have now? Fuglsang? Saxo has plenty of guys for the flats. I see schleck being isolated. We already know evans is going to be isolated. And astana? Who knows but i get the feeling contador will only have vino with him.

Schleklet will just follow wheels similar to what Cadel has had to do in the past once him team fall away. that in itself isn't an issue. Basso showed years ago that you can still have success doing that.

There are better climbers in Astana than Vino to stay with AC. Hernandez and Navarro for instance.

The problem for the pure climbing teams will be that Saxo will keep the pace so high leading into the major climbs that they will be knackered before the climb starts. Saxo know they don't have the climbers to match RS, and LG or even Astana so they will put the hurt on all day.

Lampre, Cervelo and QuickStep-- all good, no bad. Well, I bet Cervelo still wishes there had been a sprint for stage 2.

Saxo-- prologue + yellow jersey but missing Frank; new team or not, they will miss him

Sky has to be stoked-- white jersey and EBH is making his elders worry about future Tours, not to mention Wiggo's performance on the cobbles-- add all that together and it's almost as good as a stage win

BMC-- no stage wins but Evans did great on the cobbles

Everybody else has been pack filler.

TRENDING THREADS