• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which will be Valverde's role in the mountains?

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Im not sure about which is going to be Valverde's role in the tour going into the mountain stages.

He didnt look good at all during the first three days, but since the pave stage he seems quite strong.

We all know Alejandro's obsession with the TdF. Its the only race he couldnt cope with in his career. He has proved he can be a really good 3 week race rider (6 podiums in la Vuelta) but when arriving to the TdF he underperforms.
Now for the first time in his career he is not the team leader so maybe he has less pressure and if he sees himself strong enough for being at the podium in París I think he will go for it. But on the other hand there is Quintana, who is a great candidate for the yellow jersey and for whom, having a strong Valverde as a super domestique could be a decissive factor.

So, how do u see Valverde for the 2nd and 3rd week of the Tour? Do u see him as a decissive factor? Which will be the tactics of Movistar?

Hyman said:
Im not sure about which is going to be Valverde's role in the tour going into the mountain stages.

He didnt look good at all during the first three days, but since the pave stage he seems quite strong.

We all know Alejandro's obsession with the TdF. Its the only race he couldnt cope with in his career. He has proved he can be a really good 3 week race rider (6 podiums in la Vuelta) but when arriving to the TdF he underperforms.
Now for the first time in his career he is not the team leader so maybe he has less pressure and if he sees himself strong enough for being at the podium in París I think he will go for it. But on the other hand there is Quintana, who is a great candidate for the yellow jersey and for whom, having a strong Valverde as a super domestique could be a decissive factor.

So, how do u see Valverde for the 2nd and 3rd week of the Tour? Do u see him as a decissive factor? Which will be the tactics of Movistar?

I'm not sure Quintana really needs a super-domestique. If he's going to win the Tour it will be because he's stronger than Froome and Nibali in the mountains not because he's better tactically. If Quintana starts playing cat and mouse games, launching and chasing attacks, he'll probably lose. That's generally what weaker climbers generally do to psych out stronger riders. Much better to just ride at his own tempo, which should be too good for everyone else.

If Valverde attacks, Froome will follow him fairly easily you'd imagine, then Quintana would have to make a hard push to join them or go over the top - not really his strength.

Edit... I just realized that doesn't really answer the question! I think Valverde will ride for himself and go for a stage if he's in good shape (probably one of the easier mountain stages), and go for a top 5 overall.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe he'll get the podium. The first week was his chance to rack up bonuses. He'll be a top 10 or maybe top 5. As a domestique, I don't see him being much use. Sky will do all the pace making as per usual and the moment Froome goes, everyone will just try to hang on. Valverde will of course not be allowed to go into any breaks while he's still close in GC.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
He will not podium because he isn't good enough as a climber. Perhaps 5th place, but i think somewhere between 6th-10th.

Stage to Mende should be on his target list. Although i think at least two riders are stronger them him on a climb like that.

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Not sure how much help he will be to Quintana, because Quintana is arguably the best pure climber and will simply choose his spots to attack. Valverde will finish top 10, maybe targeting the Mende stage or even the Pra-Loup (although he did not look good there during the Dauphine).

Re:

SeriousSam said:
I don't believe he'll get the podium. The first week was his chance to rack up bonuses. He'll be a top 10 or maybe top 5. As a domestique, I don't see him being much use. Sky will do all the pace making as per usual and the moment Froome goes, everyone will just try to hang on. Valverde will of course not be allowed to go into any breaks while he's still close in GC.
+1. In my now laughable Tour predictions :eek: , I saw Valverde up significantly over Quintana after week one, and foresaw a civil war within Movistar. As it turns out, there are just seconds between the two. Valverde may be of use in case of a mecanical incident for Quitana. Otherwise, as SeriousSam stated, Sky will set the pace. Can Quintana be the one attacking is the question, instead of waiting for Froome to take off.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

sir fly said:
Valverde should be "2" in Movistar's 1-2, naturally.

No, he'll be 1, stronger rider is always 2. Expect good form on Tuesday, maybe even a stage win if Froome doesn't attack hard. He'll try from Tourmalet descent maybe...

Re: Re:

Mr.White said:
sir fly said:
Valverde should be "2" in Movistar's 1-2, naturally.

No, he'll be 1, stronger rider is always 2. Expect good form on Tuesday, maybe even a stage win if Froome doesn't attack hard. He'll try from Tourmalet descent maybe...
The Movistar duo is already well behind so the standard 1-2 isn't something they should stick to.
Let Quintana be the "1", see how it goes, and then launch Valverde if Quintana doesn't make it. That would be more stressful for their rivals.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
If I was movie, send Valverde on a long one, attack early, Froome will have to chase.
Nibs would be a perfect attack partner if they can agree and not let ego's get in the way.
They should have a chat. The potential to blow this race apart his all there...throw in Ryder as well and huge time gains could be realistic.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

42x16ss said:
Valverde's role will be to try and get a stage win and disrupt the Sky train, similar to Carlos Sastre in the 03/04 Tours. This may well be possible, if he chooses his battles wisely.

I have a hint that he'll try Sastre 08 Tour move

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

Mr.White said:
42x16ss said:
Valverde's role will be to try and get a stage win and disrupt the Sky train, similar to Carlos Sastre in the 03/04 Tours. This may well be possible, if he chooses his battles wisely.

I have a hint that he'll try Sastre 08 Tour move
:p
I hope he can sneak away in a break and get 5 minutes some stage.

Re:

ray j willings said:
If I was movie, send Valverde on a long one, attack early, Froome will have to chase.
Nibs would be a perfect attack partner if they can agree and not let ego's get in the way.
They should have a chat. The potential to blow this race apart his all there...throw in Ryder as well and huge time gains could be realistic.
I'd love to see the movie. I also wonder what BMC and Tinkov would do: let Sky do the work, or freak out and help Sky?

Tonton said:
ray j willings said:
I'd love to see the movie. I also wonder what BMC and Tinkov would do: let Sky do the work, or freak out and help Sky?

I'd say BMC would chase too, a podium for Tejay would be a brilliant result.

Sky should play devils advocate and let Valverde take back the time on Froome whilst Froome and Sky marks Quintana. Would love to be on that Movistar bus if Valverde went in to yellow by a few seconds, that would certainly change his attitude towards helping Nairo! :D

TRENDING THREADS