• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Whistler Gran Fondo

Hi all,

There is a Gran Fondo from Vancouver to Whistler in 2010 (September 11). For those interested, here is the website. It's 120 km and looks to be a blast. And for those who would rather race it, there appears to be a Cat 1-3 race the same day on the same course :)

PS - I see a post has already gone up related to riding the fondo with Team Diabetes.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
SlowBikeRacer said:
Wow - $200 CAD / $188.32 US for a one day ride? +$40 for return bus?
That is lot of money for a ride!!! Who are doing these things?

While the area is a beautiful place to ride that does seem expensive for a bus ride. Maybe they get a cool t-shirt.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
While the area is a beautiful place to ride that does seem expensive for a bus ride. Maybe they get a cool t-shirt.

I think if you look more closely at all the details, you will see that they are putting a lot of support into the event including mechanical and aid station support, plus finish line celebrations (http://www.whistlergranfondo.com/prices.htm). You can save some $ by registering early. The logistics of putting on such an event are huge so some costs will be incurred. Many of the fondos in Europe have much larger participation numbers so I'm guessing that as the event gets established and rider numbers go up, the cost to participate per person will come down. If you feel the cost is too high, you can fundraise for Team Diabetes and we'll cover your entry fee, provide you with a team jersey and ensure you have the tools and support to reach the fundraising goal! http://www.teamdiabetes.ca.

TRENDING THREADS