• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who are the best/worst bike handlers in the peloton?

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
The title is self explanatory. List the best/worst bike handlers in the peloton.
Sagan, Cancellara, Gilbert are amongst the best.
Menchov, Schlecks, Gesink amongst the worst?

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Steven Kruijsivik- Great win for TJ and @BlancoCycling in TdU! Today I had a good downhill session with Oscar Saiz and @RGUpdate! #MotoGPstyle

nice to see gesink and SK getting some sessions on the downhill!

Soler was badly hurt. I dont think you should be making fun of him. He was involved in a bad accident.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Arnout said:
Yeah, go and do a downhill race with the Izagirres.

Do you see the smiley : '':p'' ? It's usually used to represent sarcasm..

Obviously there are riders at Euskaltel that are very good bike handlers.

Still most of them are pretty bad. ''All'' was an exaggeration.

Tony Martin is not particularly good, is he?
Moncoutie was abysmal.
Machado has this thing about riding in the peloton, I take it that means he's not particularly good at handling the bike?

I'd guess that Boom is good, Contador is pretty amazing.
Basically all the sprinters are good bike handlers.

According to Paul Sherwen, a certain Texan is pretty decent at handling his bike across fields ;)

El Pistolero said:
The question is who's a bad bike handler, Miburo did nothing wrong nor was he making a joke.

While I concur with the conclusion that Soler was a terrible bike handler, he's also demonstrably not in the péloton at the moment. The "how is it with him?" could have been construed as a bit sarcastic and uncalled for. Otherwise I'd name Freire for best alongside Flecha solely for their not going down in the Cavendish-Haussler Tour de Suisse carnage.

Most ex-trackies or ex-crossers are good bike handlers. Andy Schleck is a terrible one. And Basso.

Squire said:
Moncoutie was abysmal.
Machado has this thing about riding in the peloton, I take it that means he's not particularly good at handling the bike?

According to Paul Sherwen, a certain Texan is pretty decent at handling his bike across fields ;)

Indeed. Actuall he used to be horrible.
He got a little better but is certainly still among the worst 10%

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
gruppeto993 said:
The title is self explanatory. List the best/worst bike handlers in the peloton.
Sagan, Cancellara, Gilbert are amongst the best.
Menchov, Schlecks, Gesink amongst the worst?

Cancellara amongst the best?

Cancellara_Crash.JPG

Squire said:
Moncoutie was abysmal.

:D I don't know if that's true though

Miburo said:
You really think that was intended to be a joke, that's pretty sick.

Ok it sounded maybe wrong but it was a serious question.

Libertine explained it better than I could. It just came across very poorly, but I'm glad to hear it wasn't a joke. I was just surprised that apparently someone (other than Ryo) might try and "joke" about something serious like that.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Any rider able to make top ten on Roubaix is a great bike handler. Also cyclists who can descend like madmen and keep on the bike should be on this list. And sprinters of course.

The ones that stand/stood out for me:
* Robbie McEwen
* Greg LeMond
* der Fabian
* Nibali
* Savoldelli
* O'Grady
* Delgado

Perhaps I forgot a lot of cyclists...

Good bike handlers are a bit crazy, thats why I think I am a good bike handler.

The worst? Alex Zulle, Dave Zabriskie, those long legged guys.

TRENDING THREADS