• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who are the best/worst bike handlers in the peloton?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
42x16ss said:
Richard Virenque was another superb bike handler on the descents. His crazy breaks often stuck because he was usually so much faster than the GC guys downhill.

Agreed, there was a classic TDF stage where he was with Ullrich, I think they were trying to chase down Pantani, and Virenque was having to wait for Jan after every corner. Virenque appeared to be amused at the situation.

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
Contador's descending is pretty amazing.

I'm not sure how Cancellara got on the "best" list, especially after two critical crashes last year. I'd replace him with Cadel Evans. Even though Cadel's '12 season was a wash, the time trialing and descending skills he showed in '11 were outstanding.

ustabe said:

I'm not sure how Cancellara got on the "best" list, especially after two critical crashes last year. I'd replace him with Cadel Evans. Even though Cadel's '12 season was a wash, the time trialing and descending skills he showed in '11 were outstanding.

Contador's descending is good but not that outstanding.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
ustabe said:

Only one of his crashes last year (at the Olympics) was due to not great handling. The other one at Flanders was just bad luck and, as I see it, shouldn't have much bearing on how good a bike handler he is.

IMHO that one crash isn't enough to remove him from the list of best handlers. After all, lets not forget his descent at MSR last year. Where he was dropping Nibbles.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ustabe said:

Afrank said:
Only one of his crashes last year (at the Olympics) was due to not great handling. The other one at Flanders was just bad luck and, as I see it, shouldn't have much bearing on how good a bike handler he is.

IMHO that one crash isn't enough to remove him from the list of best handlers. After all, lets not forget his descent at MSR last year. Where he was dropping Nibbles.

cineteq said:
He couldn't drop him. Agree a crash it's nothing, just bad decision making on his part.

Its not that it was one crash but how that Olympic crash occurred, basically a dumb move and just took himself out. Just like... wait for it ...
the Carrots in the Tour, so slap on the orange sticker on Fabian.:D

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Cancellara's crash at the Olympics was due to him not focusing on the moment, he was already kissing the gold medal in his mind... He still is a great bike handler, just watch the end of last year's Strade Bianche, where he just went inches past roadsigns etc

I think Sagan is great, but he's also young and did not have many opportunities to crash yet, so I'll wait to see how he's doing at 30-something before calling him the absolute best.

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Mikel Nieve is probably the worst, the only decent descent he has ever done was last year on Mortirol where he wheelsucked Ion Izagirre.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
by "some" do you mean a total of 6 seconds on the fedaia descent while garzeli was motor paced?

ah that explains it. in my db nieve is "above" average downhiller and I never noticed him being bad at it anywhere. that's why I wondered

Re checked the stage.

top of the giau garzeli had 45 secs on nieve and at the bottom he had 1.05 min to the "chasing group" which i am not sure if it was nieve or people behind him, but let's assume it was nieve.

at the top of the fedaia garzelli had 39 on nieve and at the bottom the he only had 35 even after being motorpaced on the false flat at the top of the fedaia.

so saying nieve "is probably the worst" is complete BS.

if anything the fact that we never saw him crashing on any race, even at GT's where he gets very little support on the flat is a gigantic clue that he can't be all that bad.

TRENDING THREADS