• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who decides what is acceptable ?

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Used to follow Snooker in the 80's and 90's. The players used to drink and smoke during the televised games. In some instances to excess, e.g. Alex Higgins (Ireland) staggering around the table, swearing at the referee ... that was entertainment ! He was pretty good at the game as well. Or Bill Werbeniuk (Canada) who used to drink a pint of beer per frame !

The human factor was very important in the level of media attention those sports received. They have cleaned up their image since then, but I feel that the momentum in interest that the sport received goes back to those days of chaos on the television.

So, why am I saying this ? Doping in cycling, amazing performances, outrageous characters ... it's all good.

The old saying still holds true ... "there's no such thing as bad publicity"

So when the governing bodies decide what is acceptable, do they consider the views of those who ultimately pay their wages ?

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
In the case, those who ultimately pay professional cyclists wages (i.e. team sponsors), don't seem to want to have anything to do with doping. I think that's been pretty well communicated already!

Jun 4, 2009
Visit site
Used to follow Snooker in the 80's and 90's. The players used to drink and smoke during the televised games. In some instances to excess, e.g. Alex Higgins (Ireland) staggering around the table, swearing at the referee ... that was entertainment ! He was pretty good at the game as well. Or Bill Werbeniuk (Canada) who used to drink a pint of beer per frame !

Ah, those were the days!!! Great stuff to watch.

So when the governing bodies decide what is acceptable, do they consider the views of those who ultimately pay their wages ?[/QUOTE]

100%! Because the sponsors are ultimately paying the people on the governing body.....