• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who else was riding their last tour

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I haven,t noticed many retirement announcements this year, but who else, especially of the "stars" was riding their last tour (officially or not)?

Moreau, Hincapie (?) Petachi (?) O'Grady, McEwen, surely. Freire, Voigt (perhaps)

And please, no clinic related reasons.

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
O'Grady and McEwen both gave statements like "Seeya next year...maybe" which would be a shame.

I think McEwen especially has the hunger to get another Tour stage.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Depends who gets offered contracts. O'Grady has been mentioned as a target to go with the Schlecks, so he may get another run and showed a lot of strength in the tour despite coming back from injury.

Robbie finished around 4th/5th a lot despite some issues during the race - cutting an artery in his elbow and being tackled by an official at 50kmh post finish, so he's still probably got enough to get a contract - there's plenty of sprinters on teams who didn't finish as high as him for the green. Maybe a one year contract, and maybe he doesn't get to go on the tour, but still capable of winning some races.

Jens looked strong, and similar to Stu O'Grady may be helped by the Schleck/Saxo team divide.

Gadret may not get to ride with Roche next year though!

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Sastra didn't seem to be to into it this year.

He will probably give it one more shot but I wouldn't be surprised either if he moves on.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I think Hincapie has one more year on his contract with BMC. Barring legal troubles relating to the US Postal days keeping him out, I'd be shocked to see BMC get an invite and George not being on the team.

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Isn't Hincapie close to breaking the record of finishing the most Tours?

I doubt he'll quit before he breaks it.

I think he needs one to tie Zoop and two to break it. I see your point but I'm not sure he has it in him.

Cooper said:
I think he needs one to tie Zoop and two to break it. I see your point but I'm not sure he has it in him.

He needs 1 to tie the number of starts but Joop finished all 16 he started Hincapie didn't finish his first tour (1996) so he needs two more Tours to equal Zoetemelk.

TRENDING THREADS