• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who first used supertuck in a road race

Linus Gerdemann did it while descending into Le Grand- Bornand on route to the stage win in 2007. I've seen some quick shots of guys racing a few years before that coming back into the lead group doing the "supertuck".

Don't know the answer to this but I have to say, it's actually kinda weird it took so long for riders to figure this out. Like, I know those famous pictures of Pantani descending in that completely suicidal position, laying his upperbody on the saddle. How on earth did they think of that before the"tuck position" they use now?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Don't know the answer to this but I have to say, it's actually kinda weird it took so long for riders to figure this out. Like, I know those famous pictures of Pantani descending in that completely suicidal position, laying his upperbody on the saddle. How on earth did they think of that before the"tuck position" they use now?

Agreed.

It also continues to annoy me when people drone on about how dangerous the super tuck supposedly is. It's really not that difficult to do and we have never seen it go wrong.

Does anyone have a good video of a Savoldelli descent? I am too young to really have witnessed him live and good videos from those days seem to be rather rare.
The one I know is a video of his Fauniera descent in 1999 where he catches the leaders, just drives past and has already dropped them a corner later. I guess that gives a pretty good impression of how good he was but the video is still rather short.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Linus Gerdemann did it while descending into Le Grand- Bornand on route to the stage win in 2007. I've seen some quick shots of guys racing a few years before that coming back into the lead group doing the "supertuck".
The first I remember seeing it (commented on at least) was Landis in the 2006 TdF - the commentators referred to it as the 'preying mantis' because he was tucked on the top tube with his hands tight to the stem on the handlebars.

I never really watched Savoldelli ride so I'm not enlightened here but I think Hirschi's descending in this year's Tour could maybe have given similar vibes. That is, until he crashed.
From about 5:50, but here Savoldelli was holding back to keep some companions for Sestriere.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thfKMaCtDq8
However Bettini's descents in the 2006 Giro di Lombardia, from 30:10 Civiglio and from 45:57 San Fermo della Battaglia are phenomenal:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH4yCLQ9uZ0

Last edited:
Reactions: 42x16ss

TRENDING THREADS