• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

who has the most power?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
ScienceIsCool said:
There's a popular thought that whoever collects the taxes is the de facto government. Considering that the UCI is the one who ultimately collects the fees from riders, teams, etc, they are the ones who also administrate and get to make the law. That relegates the ASO to the status of powerful lobbyist. They can use that to bend and shape the UCI so that it changes policy and law, but ultimately the UCI is in the seat of power. I think that accurately descibes the latest ASO/UCI battle. It'll take a coup to change that fact.

John "vive le revolution!" Swanson

Exactly my earlier point. Although you stated it a bit more clearly. Nice.

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
There's a popular thought that whoever collects the taxes is the de facto government. Considering that the UCI is the one who ultimately collects the fees from riders, teams, etc, they are the ones who also administrate and get to make the law. That relegates the ASO to the status of powerful lobbyist. They can use that to bend and shape the UCI so that it changes policy and law, but ultimately the UCI is in the seat of power. I think that accurately descibes the latest ASO/UCI battle. It'll take a coup to change that fact.

JMBeaushrimp said:
Exactly my earlier point. Although you stated it a bit more clearly. Nice.

Agreed. Nicely stated.

ScienceIsCool said:

Power is not the ability to make laws, it is the ability to enforce them. What we saw with the Pro Tour vs. GT struggle is that the UCI cannot enforce its rules if the GTs do not want to go along. The UCI is like a 97 pound weakling on a beach telling a 250 pound body builder what to do. As long as the body builder is in a good mood and does not disagree with what he is being order to do then the weakling can delude himself into thinking that he is in control.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
with the way a lot of teams are targeting the TdF (Sky, RS, Saxo) and the Palmeres is there a chance of a breakaway 'premier' league for cycling with these top teams concentrating on certain events and out of the clutches of the UCI?

Obviously UCI would continue but more like a 3 legged dog and no doubt some of the top teams ould run feeder teams whether officially or unofficially in the UCI....

I would prefer that the UCI gets cleaned out of its personel than a premier league in cycling, but i do think that ASO and pals would consider it if they haven't already...

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
with the way a lot of teams are targeting the TdF (Sky, RS, Saxo) and the Palmeres is there a chance of a breakaway 'premier' league for cycling with these top teams concentrating on certain events and out of the clutches of the UCI?

Obviously UCI would continue but more like a 3 legged dog and no doubt some of the top teams ould run feeder teams whether officially or unofficially in the UCI....

I would prefer that the UCI gets cleaned out of its personel than a premier league in cycling, but i do think that ASO and pals would consider it if they haven't already...

Another legacy of LA and American fandom - the luxury of only having to key on one race in an entire season.

I only bring that at up as it relates to your post re a 'premier league' for procycling, that being the ASO (et al) races creating their own pro/elite component outside the UCI.

If ASO did something like that, they'd have to be willing to create their own governing body that covers everything the UCI does at the moment. I'm not sure they'd be willing to do that. You can be sure if they created a splinter faction, the UCI would say 'fine, f*ck you. you guys take care of all this sh*t, we're outa here'.

At the same time, developing riders would still be going through the UCI system. I can't see the UCI freely allowing riders a smooth transfer from thier system to the ASO's. We all know how cranky and vindictive the UCI can get.

I'll admit that ASO and their partners have a lot of power but until they want to create an entire system that can functionally circumvent the UCI, and fulfill all the roles the UCI does, the UCI still has the cycling world by the b*lls.

That's not say that the UCI doesn't need a good top-down gutting of personnel...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
Another legacy of LA and American fandom - the luxury of only having to key on one race in an entire season.

yep another negative from the one ball wonder

JMBeaushrimp said:
I only bring that at up as it relates to your post re a 'premier league' for procycling, that being the ASO (et al) races creating their own pro/elite component outside the UCI.

If ASO did something like that, they'd have to be willing to create their own governing body that covers everything the UCI does at the moment. I'm not sure they'd be willing to do that. You can be sure if they created a splinter faction, the UCI would say 'fine, f*ck you. you guys take care of all this sh*t, we're outa here'.

i imagine the ASO wouldn't have a big problem to do that for a minority of say 200-300 elite riders all making up the 'premier league'

JMBeaushrimp said:
At the same time, developing riders would still be going through the UCI system. I can't see the UCI freely allowing riders a smooth transfer from thier system to the ASO's. We all know how cranky and vindictive the UCI can get.

well i imagine that riders would still learn and develop through the uci system till offered a 'premier league' contract and imagine their would be no return to the UCI after being dropped by a 'premier league' team

JMBeaushrimp said:
I'll admit that ASO and their partners have a lot of power but until they want to create an entire system that can functionally circumvent the UCI, and fulfill all the roles the UCI does, the UCI still has the cycling world by the b*lls.

That's not say that the UCI doesn't need a good top-down gutting of personnel...

i dont think the ASO/Partners will want to run cycling per se but say 10 top 1 day events and the 3 GTs including whatever other events they deem worthy of the 'premier league'....

It is something i hope wont happen but unless the uci gets its house in order with regards to doping and the scandals, aso/partners might feel they need to protect their events and 'breakaway' from the uci.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
You dump the UCI and cycling will continue in many different ways as it dose now. Dump ASO and you have big money problems that we cant controle.