• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

who is gonna win the white jersey in the tour de france

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
who do you guys think is gonna win the white jersey
its a big question this year all the favorites have some sort of problem

kruiswijk - has too work for gesink
van garderen - has too work for evans
taaramae - no form and sick
pinot - too inconsisent
poels - too inconsisent

my pick is kruiswijk because maybe he doesnt have too work as hard for gesink as van garderen ( who is the only one who can help evans in the mountains)

Kruijswijk was the best he's ever been in a prep race, he'll only get better from here. For me he's the favourite, also because Van Garderen hasn't really shown that he recovers well over three weeks. Poels hasn't either, although last year the Vuelta wasn't really his goal, he had prepared for the Tour but had to go home due to illness. Pinot won't do the Tour, I think.

Kruijswijk, Gesink, and Mollema start the Tour on equal footing, so it's not sure he has to work for Gesink. Maybe it turns out that Gesink is utter crap.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Don't be late Pedro said:
Pierre Rolland is still eligible right? If Voeckler does not ride I would be interested to see how he goes.

Rolland is too old already, only riders from 1987 or later are eligible for the white jersey. But to me this is too unpredictible. There aren´t really top talents any more in the Tour, so riders like Gorka Izagirre, Rafael Valls, Cyril Gautier(???) or even EBH can contend for white.

Edit: tl

Last year Gesink seemed a lock for the white jersey. We all know how that worked out ;)

The Tour is always full of surprises. Probably a French kid will suddenly be able to climb with the 15-20 best and claim that jersey. Is there an eligible youngster on Europcar? If so, he's an instant favourite.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Kruijswijk will probably win it?

That's what we thought last year with Gesink, but that turned out very differently. It's really an open battle. To me, Rolland came out of nowhere last year, the same could happen this year.

Pentacycle said:
That's what we thought last year with Gesink, but that turned out very differently. It's really an open battle. To me, Rolland came out of nowhere last year, the same could happen this year.
Rolland didn't come out of nowhere. Those names you mention, EBH, Gautier... they would be huge surprises. Rolland was actually known as a big climbing talent.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Rolland didn't come out of nowhere. Those names you mention, EBH, Gautier... they would be huge surprises. Rolland was actually known as a big climbing talent.

Of course he was a big talent, but last year he had no 'outstanding' results until the Tour, and he had failed the other Tours he rode. This year I just don't see a clear favourite, so yes, even Hagen can win it.

Pentacycle said:

Only because Gesink was injured. But I understand what you mean. Anything can happen. They all have to get through without falls/sickness/formloss etc.
I'm just saying in normal circumstances I think Kruijswijk will win it

Pentacycle said:
Of course he was a big talent, but last year he had no 'outstanding' results until the Tour, and he had failed the other Tours he rode. This year I just don't see a clear favourite, so yes, even Hagen can win it.
There's one guy who has a top-10 in a GT on his palmares, who is fit, and who has had a good preparation. Naturally this makes him (on paper) a bigger favourite than for instance EBH, who isn't even a proper climber, and who is way down on the pecking order for GC duties on his team.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Last year Gesink seemed a lock for the white jersey. We all know how that worked out ;)

The Tour is always full of surprises. Probably a French kid will suddenly be able to climb with the 15-20 best and claim that jersey. Is there an eligible youngster on Europcar? If so, he's an instant favourite.

good call :D