• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who is Sandisfan?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Part of the reason I don't post that much is that my initial posts when I am posting can come out as word salads, that is I can hear what I am writing in my head but when I read some initial posts it makes no sense and the phrases can read unlike anything I wanted to write. :) I can spend way too much time rewriting my initial posts. Plus many here have expressed what I might write since I end up watching the races delayed and can't get to this site until later when most contributors have said what I would although from the stage/races threads I sometimes think of witty lines but it's way too late and the moment has passed. ;)

I know exactly what you're saying, Sandisfan.
Take your time, buddy.
No one is going to bite.

I too appreciate Sandisfan's solid support.

Sounds like we're all getting our just desert's.

Which admittedly lessens the impact of it slightly. It's like when a kind of co-worker of mine would end all of her emails to me with a smiley....made me smile a little less when I found out she gave them out to everyone :p

Anyway, I was pretty chuffed yesterday when the doyen (probably self proclaimed) of the forum, Red Rick, applauded me with love heart eyes.

Not as good as receiving them from Scarlett Johannson, but possibly the next best thing.

If there weren't reactions to our posts we'd never be aware Sandisfan's reading every bit of nonsense we write.
And that's what I find most amusing.
... Someone's patient enough to watch and read everything post festum.
I guess it makes our pass-time activities a little more worthy.

I like "likes" because it gives the reader an opportunity to say s/he likes a comment even when there's nothing to say as a follow-up. It's like the in-person universal nod indicating you like what someone said. Maybe a high-five will be attached to said comment that someone "liked" but no words are spoken.
Despite what some people say, I love "like." Like you said, that means someone is paying attention and likes what you said. That's an awesome feature on a message board.
That said, I think the "like" feature should be used judiciously. By that I mean there's no need to "like" if you're going to respond to a comment you like. The intent is obvious. You like the person with whom you're interacting, right? Can I get a like?
Back in the day posters like blackcat would say things that stopped me in my tracks. He made me laugh. We're talking genuine guffaws, and there was no way to respond other than saying "like."
Thankfully we now have the "like" feature to tell others we appreciate what they have to say. Sadly, blackcat was banned from the forum and I will forever unlike the pinheads who pulled the plug on his account. He is sorely missed. Press like if you like.

Reactions: spalco and sir fly
Thank You al for these fun responses. The Binary was from a cheesy joke I got from a forum member on another web site " Slashdot " a nerdy type of site for tech.
The joke being "There are 10 kinds of People, those who know binary and those who don't" ;) In binary 10 and 2 in our normal decimal math we all use. I really don't know binary I am a bit nerdy but not really high level stuff. I read a lot an know a lot of stuff, some of which is just trivia. Like do you know why manhole covers are round.... It's the only shape cover which can't fall into the hole. Silly I know.

My user name comes from around 2000 on a hockey forum and was for the best player drafted the the San Jose Sharks in their first years. they didn't draft all that well the first couple of years. The player was Sandis Ozlinsh an offensive defenseman. Sandis was very good on offense and just ok playing the defense part of his position. I will send Delgados a PM and he can check out my user name (I post there about as frequently as I do here and been a memeber there for over 15 years) at the very good Hockey site mostly North American users but some European users. The site is pretty well moderated like here and I usually don't want to bring anyone there who might disrupt what is a very good forum not that any of you would do so but lurkers like me who are instead trolls could follow over there just being safe LOL I could share later if you are interested mostly that site focuses on NHL but is very much into the youth, think cycling under 23 and younger leagues amateur and some semi-pro Canadien minors which has some teams in the US.
Sandis Ozolinsh... that really rings a bell, but my memory is foggy. Didn't the Sharks also have some toothless thug, can't remember his name right now, but I know I didn't like him. I realize toothless describes just about every hockey player, but this guy was a real thug.

Anyway, nice to know where your handle comes from (I followed the NHL closely back in the early 2000s), keep up the good work giving out those "likes"! :)

Edit: I googled the Shark player, it was Mike Ricci. Don't know if I'm misremembering him being a thug, but he was definitely not nice to look at.

Last edited:
Sandis Ozolinsh... that really rings a bell, but my memory is foggy. Didn't the Sharks also have some toothless thug, can't remember his name right now, but I know I didn't like him. I realize toothless describes just about every hockey player, but this guy was a real thug.

Anyway, nice to know where your handle comes from (I followed the NHL closely back in the early 2000s), keep up the good work giving out those "likes"! :)

Edit: I googled the Shark player, it was Mike Ricci. Don't know if I'm misremembering him being a thug, but he was definitely not nice to look at.

Ricci wasn't really a goon, more of pest good defensively for a forward with good scoring for a 3rd line forward (4 lines). Very popular player wherever he played. Could sometimes shutdown other teams 1st line for parts of the game getting better matchups for his teams 1st line. What a mug though LOL

Ricci wasn't really a goon, more of pest good defensively for a forward with good scoring for a 3rd line forward (4 lines). Very popular player wherever he played. Could sometimes shutdown other teams 1st line for parts of the game getting better matchups for his teams 1st line. What a mug though LOL
I would call Ricci a sparkplug not a goon, he never gave up on defense but I don't think he ever got in a fight. In 16 years in the NHL he averaged just over 50 penalty minutes a year, that's about 25 two minute penalties in a 70-80 game season. He was more likely to provoke the opposition into bad penalties. He was popular with fans and teammates because everybody likes a teammate who plays harder defense than you. He was drafted in the top 5 overall when he entered the NHL in 1990.

I would call Ricci a sparkplug not a goon, he never gave up on defense but I don't think he ever got in a fight. In 16 years in the NHL he averaged just over 50 penalty minutes a year, that's about 25 two minute penalties in a 70-80 game season. He was more likely to provoke the opposition into bad penalties. He was popular with fans and teammates because everybody likes a teammate who plays harder defense than you. He was drafted in the top 5 overall when he entered the NHL in 1990.

Thanks to both of you for correcting me, my memory truly is very foggy regarding Ricci. He just never was on my fave team (at the time it was the Dallas Stars, don't ask why), so that's why my memories of him are rather unfavorable. But I certainly don't want to besmirch his legacy as a player.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I like "likes" because it gives the reader an opportunity to say s/he likes a comment even when there's nothing to say as a follow-up. It's like the in-person universal nod indicating you like what someone said. Maybe a high-five will be attached to said comment that someone "liked" but no words are spoken.
Despite what some people say, I love "like." Like you said, that means someone is paying attention and likes what you said. That's an awesome feature on a message board.
That said, I think the "like" feature should be used judiciously. By that I mean there's no need to "like" if you're going to respond to a comment you like. The intent is obvious. You like the person with whom you're interacting, right? Can I get a like?
Back in the day posters like blackcat would say things that stopped me in my tracks. He made me laugh. We're talking genuine guffaws, and there was no way to respond other than saying "like."
Thankfully we now have the "like" feature to tell others we appreciate what they have to say. Sadly, blackcat was banned from the forum and I will forever unlike the pinheads who pulled the plug on his account. He is sorely missed. Press like if you like.
I would accept and maybe even use the reaction feature if it didn't accumulate to a like score. In fact, I'd prefer if all of the four counts (join date, post count, reaction count, and point count) weren't visible beside every post, but only on the user profiles. What's even the point of showing all the awards when you also show the underlying score.

Reactions: the delgados
I would accept and maybe even use the reaction feature if it didn't accumulate to a like score. In fact, I'd prefer if all of the four counts (join date, post count, reaction count, and point count) weren't visible beside every post, but only on the user profiles. What's even the point of showing all the awards when you also show the underlying score.
I think the "like" feature here can mean a couple of things - either you like what the poster has said, or you just like the poster in general regardless of what they have to say.

Obviously we all come from different platforms where "likes" or "agrees" mean very different things, so for now things here seem a bit confusing. (It makes me cry to think fmk_Rol wasn't able to give me a "strong disagree" emoji on all of my posts in his Clinic threads, I would have preferred he had had that choice instead of just having to give me the generic sad face. I mean, the last thing I would want to do is make fmk_Rol sad. :()

Last edited:
I think the "like" feature here can mean a couple of things - either you like what the poster has said, or you just like the poster in general regardless of what they have to say.

Obviously we all come from different platforms where "likes" or "agrees" mean very different things, so for now things here seem a bit confusing. (It makes me cry to think fmk_Rol wasn't able to give me a "strong disagree" emoji on all of my posts in his Clinic threads, I would have preferred he had had that choice instead of just having to give me the sad face. :()
On other platforms I usually never use it as a bystander to show what I like, but instead mainly in conversations I have, either to indicate that I agree with the point of the post (while my reply will focus on what I disagree with or want to expand on) or at the end of the conversation to show that I've read the last post and that I think it's a good time to end it. So a bit like nodding (which too I wouldn't do as a bystander).

Reactions: Publiuszam
On other platforms I usually never use it as a bystander to show what I like, but instead mainly in conversations I have, either to indicate that I agree with the point of the post (while my reply will focus on what I disagree with or want to expand on) or at the end of the conversation to show that I've read the last post and that I think it's a good time to end it. So a bit like nodding (which too I wouldn't do as a bystander).
So, if I'm understanding you correctly, are you saying posters like Sandisfan should just stay away from the "like" button unless he/she actually participates in the forum dialogue?

That is totally your prerogative, but I think Sandisfan specifically is harmless. We're just here for his entertainment, and if he is not being entertained he will just not give us a "like". No biggie.

Reactions: Koronin
One thing I don't like about the likes is that they can seduce you to write things you know that others like and keep you from writing what you really think. At least I sometimes feel a small resistance to write something I know people won't like much, whereas I can be tempted to write down a silly joke which I know people will like. I try not to act like that, but I think there is a subconscious side to this, which is always there in speaking and writing, but it can be enhanced by explicit likes.

What I do like about the likes: They show you there are people out there, reading what you write, you are not just talking to yourself, even if nobody directly answers you. In that regard Sandisfan's likes are really nice.

The like count is a bit ridiculous, but I think we all know that, so it can be ignored.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, are you saying posters like Sandisfan should just stay away from the "like" button unless he/she actually participates in the forum dialogue?

That is totally your prerogative, but I think Sandisfan specifically is harmless. We're just here for his entertainment, and if he is not being entertained he will just not give us a "like". No biggie.
I'm just saying that's not how I ever use such a feature.

My point was to show what likes from me (on other platforms) mean, to expand on your point and give an example of it. It was not meant to be the golden standard.

Last edited:

My point was to show what likes from me (on other platforms) mean, to expand on your point and give an example of it. It was not meant to be the golden standard.
I just gave you a like because I now understand where you are coming from. No more questions/explanations need to be asked of you, I just understand. :)

One thing I don't like about the likes is that they can seduce you to write things you know that others like and keep you from writing what you really think. At least I sometimes feel a small resistance to write something I know people won't like much, whereas I can be tempted to write down a silly joke which I know people will like. I try not to act like that, but I think there is a subconscious side to this, which is always there in speaking and writing, but it can be enhanced by explicit likes.

What I do like about the likes: They show you there are people out there, reading what you write, you are not just talking to yourself, even if nobody directly answers you. In that regard Sandisfan's likes are really nice.

The like count is a bit ridiculous, but I think we all know that, so it can be ignored.

I use the feature to show some appreciation of some very good writing about cycling and other things mentioned in those posts. I find that some of the best analysis of sports is found on the forums I choose to read and react to and only occasionally add to myself. I have often added likes to writers with opposing opinions as those can lead to better understanding of the subject and both sides can have good reasons for their views. I don't worry about what others think when I do write but I can see how likes could seductive and direct others to write in a way that will earn likes. But Don't Write to Make me Happy, Write What You Want to Say, there are some here who annoy me only a few, but I want their views if they aren't troll type posts. I do appreciate the vast knowledge here that I wouldn't get just watching the races and listening to the, as it were, play by play guy and the color/analyst guy/girl.

I frequently use the "like" feature to show that I agree with a post, even if I don't have anything to add. Beats how it used to be, when people would sometimes quote a post, simply to write "like" or "agreed" as a reply.
However, I'd like you to be aware, that sometimes I use the "mad react" - :mad: - in a not-so-serious way. For example; I'm not actually mad when toby posts stuff about being 30 or older makes you old, because I know, that deep down in his heart he knows, that it's not actually true!

I frequently use the "like" feature to show that I agree with a post, even if I don't have anything to add. Beats how it used to be, when people would sometimes quote a post, simply to write "like" or "agreed" as a reply.
However, I'd like you to be aware, that sometimes I use the "mad react" - :mad: - in a not-so-serious way. For example; I'm not actually mad when toby posts stuff about being 30 or older makes you old, because I know, that deep down in his heart he knows, that it's not actually true!
Or
Yep/Yes 10 char.

I know nothing of the sort.

• Sad
Reactions: Volderke

TRENDING THREADS