• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who is the highest paid rider in the peloton?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Arredondo said:
Yeah you're right. He signed his contract before the Tour of 2012. I was confused because i read a lot of news during the years where he and Cannondale were talking about a better contract and salary issues.

But if he signs with Tinkoff, he will reach that amount of money, and probarly even more.

Sagan drives a Citroen C5 just now according to a wee thing Eurosport did so I can't see his contract being up to a huge amount unless he loves Citroens!

Other cars from the peloton that I recall: Gallopin: Audi (A6 I think), Nibs: Mercedes, Frank Schleck: Lada

argyllflyer said:
Sagan drives a Citroen C5 just now according to a wee thing Eurosport did so I can't see his contract being up to a huge amount unless he loves Citroens!

Other cars from the peloton that I recall: Gallopin: Audi (A6 I think), Nibs: Mercedes, Frank Schleck: Lada

Sagan drives a Citroen because they sponsor the team, but he also owns at least a Porsche.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Still think the earnings are peanuts.

Compared to other sports in terms of difficulty (physical) being away frrom family and the fact that there are only 3 GT a year to shine the maximum cash is pathetic.

However, I suppose that comes with being a less popular sport and it would be a grim day indeed if the football thuggery was to become interested IMO.

It did send shivers down my spine on Jenkin Road this year seeing people wearing football shirts watching the tour.

We need more Oleg Tinkoff's !

Fight.The.Power said:
Still think the earnings are peanuts.

Compared to other sports in terms of difficulty (physical) being away frrom family and the fact that there are only 3 GT a year to shine the maximum cash is pathetic.

However, I suppose that comes with being a less popular sport and it would be a grim day indeed if the football thuggery was to become interested IMO.

It did send shivers down my spine on Jenkin Road this year seeing people wearing football shirts watching the tour.

We need more Oleg Tinkoff's !

Well... Its choice not force for each and every rider. Moreover, I do respect cyclists for their mental ability to push themselves times and times again to do an ultimately pointless physical excersize, but their average work days are shorter than the days of most people with a normal job and generally (in ProTour) for much higher pay.

I have no problem with riders earning whatever amount of money (although one can have a discussion about it coupled to clinic matters I suppose), but to say they do a job that is harder than any other job is, in my opinion, not true.

With a minimum salary of €50k I don't think any ProTour rider has to complain.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Arnout said:
With a minimum salary of €50k I don't think any ProTour rider has to complain.

Sorry I don't think I made myself clear. The comparison was strictly against other sporting professionals. Otherwise I agree with you entirely.

Fight.The.Power said:
Sorry I don't think I made myself clear. The comparison was strictly against other sporting professionals. Otherwise I agree with you entirely.

Well there are lots of sports where the wages are a lot lower. I mean, Gesink earned close to a million a year when he was 23, I really don't see much problems even comparing to other sports. Yes, football players earn a lot more (but in the Netherlands the best cyclists earn a lot more than the average top league player), tennis players too, but ultimately that's supply and demand.

I also think comparing sports is futile.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Arnout said:
(but in the Netherlands the best cyclists earn a lot more than the average top league player),

I am leaving myself wide open to abuse here as my knowledge of Dutch football salaries is zero. But I find it very hard to believe that Dutch cyclists are paid higher than the average top football league players.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Fight.The.Power said:
I am leaving myself wide open to abuse here as my knowledge of Dutch football salaries is zero. But I find it very hard to believe that Dutch cyclists are paid higher than the average top football league players.

why not? Dutch are crazy about endurance sport, speed skating, cycling etc. Beside he is comparing TOP cyclist to AVERAGE Dutch league football player, I am sure average Dutch football players earns much more than average Dutch cyclist.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
why not? Dutch are crazy about endurance sport, speed skating, cycling etc. Beside he is comparing TOP cyclist to AVERAGE Dutch league football player, I am sure average Dutch football players earns much more than average Dutch cyclist.

Well i knew about the speed skating. Love it myself. But with all due respect and not to split hairs I think you are putting words in Arnouts mouth here. We sre talking about Pro cyclists v Pro footballers? Pretty sure I didnt miss anything there.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Fight.The.Power said:
Well i knew about the speed skating. Love it myself. But with all due respect and not to split hairs I think you are putting words in Arnouts mouth here. We sre talking about Pro cyclists v Pro footballers? Pretty sure I didnt miss anything there.

read it again, I am sure you missed the bid things.

Arnout said:
(but in the Netherlands the best cyclists earn a lot more than the average top league player), tennis players too, but ultimately that's supply and demand.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
While I can't vouch for all my sources being accurate. These are just what the teams pay in Euros.
Froome 4.4m, Cancellara, Contador, Cavendish, nibali, valverde, evans all around 3m, wiggins 2.5m.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
karlboss said:
While I can't vouch for all my sources being accurate. These are just what the teams pay in Euros.
Froome 4.4m, Cancellara, Contador, Cavendish, nibali, valverde, evans all around 3m, wiggins 2.5m.

in the first post of this thread, italian paper reported Nibali's base salary is close to 4 million.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
maxmartin said:
in the first post of this thread, italian paper reported Nibali's base salary is close to 4 million.

I read it was 3 million but with a 1 million bonus for the tour, so I was assuming that's where the 4 million was coming from. I'll try to find my source again.

Edit: Found my source, I was wrong. It appears most likely that close to 4 million per year is his base.

Fight.The.Power said:

Average salary in the Dutch League is ~€250,000-300,000 a year. In fact, you will be hard pressed to find a football player that earns more than a million a year. I'm not exactly sure about the situation this year with Belkin and all, but Rabobank is still paying a lot of the wages, so I suspect many of the salaries of Belkin are still on Rabobank levels. In that case, Gesink might earn more (close to, or by now fully €1 million) than any football player in the Netherlands (there might be some exceptions, but I can't think of any). I don't think he earns more than speed skater Sven Kramer though.

Mollema, Gesink, Boom, Terpstra, Kelderman (rumors are that he rejected a Sky offer because his current wage is higher than what Sky was willing to offer him for next year) and probably a few others all earn more than the average wage in the Dutch Pro League

TRENDING THREADS