• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who is the sport star you like to meet?

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Well sometimes we dream about our sport stars. So this will be a good opportunity to express your feelings. Well for me even a few minutes or sends staying with David Beckham (England Football player) will be a grate moment for me, it really means to me.
What about you?

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
i dont really have a strong desire to meet any athlete i really dont look up to them there just well athletes. i dont really have too many human heros there are some there generally people who have bought change to the world through personal sacrifice. athletes dont fit this bill. i do respect certain individuals but that is much different from having heroes or worshiping anyone which is silly imo.

forty four said:
i dont really have a strong desire to meet any athlete i really dont look up to them there just well athletes. i dont really have too many human heros there are some there generally people who have bought change to the world through personal sacrifice. athletes dont fit this bill. i do respect certain individuals but that is much different from having heroes or worshiping anyone which is silly imo.

+1
A fine outlook on life.

The original post was about meeting them - not worshiping or looking up to them - I find people who have got really good at things interesting. You can often learn someing or at least gain insight into what it takes to be great at something by meeting them. This includes all kinds of performers in business, the arts, academia and not just sport IMHO.

I would like to meet (and have a conversation with) Graham Obree - a fascinating and amazing guy - maybe I could cheer him up a bit :)

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm, perhaps Muhammad Ali. There's a man who was one of the all time greats at his sport and experienced the best and the worst of people at all levels - close associates, business partners, fans, government...

Ken Dryden was my favourite athlete as a kid but now that he's both lawyer and a politician he might be too boring to share a beer with. He's a highly intelligent, thoughtful, and articulate man with a good perspective about how and why sport is relevant but not the most important thing in life.

In cycling, I have no idea. I find that this sport as much or more than most others introduces fans only to the elite athletes, who may well not be the most interesting or impressive people in the peloton.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Leryn Franco.

xLeryn_Franco-01.jpg

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
The original post was about meeting them - not worshiping or looking up to them - I find people who have got really good at things interesting. You can often learn someing or at least gain insight into what it takes to be great at something by meeting them. This includes all kinds of performers in business, the arts, academia and not just sport IMHO.

I would like to meet (and have a conversation with) Graham Obree - a fascinating and amazing guy - maybe I could cheer him up a bit :)

to clarify i agree i do like meeting or chatting with people absolutely. from a random interesting customer who walks into my work or some stranger on the street. as well i have met quite a few known pros the two guys i like who i have met are jens voight and carlos sastre i respect there humility and hard work.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Prob. Anyone who will give me honest, no bull answers to my questions about dopping and other good gossip in the peleton. So prob. Bernard Kohl, Bassons, Lemond, Joe Papp & Landis.

Outside of this, prob. Voigt, Indurain and Fignon. I dream of going on a tour holiday with a pro telling us all about the race from their eyes, cool stories from yester year, etc. Good thread.

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Honestly for me there's too many.
Dwayne Johnson
Terry Crews
Tim Tebow
Muhammed Ali
Brett Farve

As far as cycling goes?
Not sure
I kinda have the fear that pro cyclist are the exact way the Italian team was in Breaking Away.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Actually Two at the same time, same room:

Tonya Harding----(how did I forget to nominate her for most evil sports figure?)
and of course....
Nancy Kerrigan

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Alessandro Zanardi. If you can't be inspired by him, you might just be beyond help.

Do you remember when he made his comeback (racing sedans)? He was nearly as fast as the "full bodied" people on his first day out. But I've stopped following cars too closely...So how is he? Still humming that Disney tune? His is an inspiring story.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
No hero worship here .. just admire hard work

In no particular order :-

Michael Jordan - Basketball
Mark Webber - F1
Victor Bray - Aussie drag racer
Cadel Evans - Cycling (of course)
Pat Rafter - Tennis.
Greg Murphy - V8 Supercars
Tatiana Gregoriava - "Pole" vaulter
Anna Meares - Cycling

Just a select few around for a quiet dinner and drinks.:)

TRENDING THREADS