• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who? LOves Their Dog as Much as Their Bike/Cycling

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Nice dog.

I guess you are having fun too, but on a serious note:

1. A living thing and an activity seem to be two different types of "love"; and

2. Who needs to edit the English of a post? Just funning with you but ... many a truth is said in jest. Edit. Just a little.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Dogs!

I do! This is Neeku Perfetta...We call her Bella for short. She is a 9 year old Italian Greyhound.
picture.php
[/IMG]

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I love my dog more. He's never caused me to bonk which is really uncomfortable. He also doesn't care if I put on weight which my bike really makes me pay for.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site

The white dog runs while the short legger rides. That short-legged hound loves to run, and would go farther - but she is older, slower, and now has a bad knee. So, she gets to run 2.5 miles with the two of us, while the young boy (Klinger, the white dog) and I toodle along. Since the old dog (short legs) would damage her knee with longer runs at any speed (she could and would go 10 miles or more if she went at her pace, but basically that would take all day) she gets in the cart after 2.5 miles, and I start getting some exercise. It's a compromise. At the 2.5 mile point the young dog swims across a local pond, then we go back the way we came.

thanks hiero2

great! to see your dogs..............looks like you have it sussed providing different transport for differing abilities

here in uk so many people have dogs............there are several 'dog families'
where the oldest dog trots along before ending the journey in a buggy

once out cycling i met a touring cyclist on a long tour with a toy dog in a handlebar basket

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
My dog does the running with me. We head out into the woods, she does her thing, I do my thing. She goes everywhere I go. Guys who don't like my dog, don't like me. It's that simple.

For the biking she stays home and guards the paradise. She's a border collie, fast and smart, and she can run with me forever. But I'm scared to the bone of running her to death on the bike. Plus there are the traffic issues. I'm 90% against leashes, and I won't ride a bike with a dog leashed to it (or me).

Still it's a shame. It is practically only the bike that separates me from my dog. Any suggestions?

thanks! Lyn

LauraLyn said:
My dog does the running with me. We head out into the woods, she does her thing, I do my thing. She goes everywhere I go. Guys who don't like my dog, don't like me. It's that simple.

For the biking she stays home and guards the paradise. She's a border collie, fast and smart, and she can run with me forever. But I'm scared to the bone of running her to death on the bike. Plus there are the traffic issues. I'm 90% against leashes, and I won't ride a bike with a dog leashed to it (or me).

Still it's a shame. It is practically only the bike that separates me from my dog. Any suggestions?

thanks! lyn...........how i laughed ...............your dog is the complete opposite of mine............who is the laziest dog...........ever

yesterday a neighbour quipped 'i'm yet to see that dog run!'

we were sitting in the sun.........my dog had walked 5 steps then rolled over

i see her as being really dozy...............but if i throw her a treat and it falls away from her she just looks lost.............knowing that i'm dozy enough to get up and give her the treat

often i smile going out............with the dog at the window there is no need to lock my door!

enjoy your dog..............and keeping fit

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
ebandit said:
thanks! lyn...........how i laughed ...............your dog is the complete opposite of mine............who is the laziest dog...........ever

yesterday a neighbour quipped 'i'm yet to see that dog run!'

we were sitting in the sun.........my dog had walked 5 steps then rolled over

i see her as being really dozy...............but if i throw her a treat and it falls away from her she just looks lost.............knowing that i'm dozy enough to get up and give her the treat

often i smile going out............with the dog at the window there is no need to lock my door!

enjoy your dog..............and keeping fit

Damn, ain't it a dog's life. I think your dog has the good life nailed.

Loved the anecdote. You had me rolling over (in laughter) as well. Thanks for that.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
LauraLyn said:

Take a bike in the woods! Border collies have LOTS of energy. I remember seeing a vid clip, probably youtube, of some guys riding single track and jumps and all - with the dog following right along. I think the dog outdid some of the riders! If the dog shows signs of stress - that day, the next day, whenever, cut it short and check with the vet. My hound (the short-legged one) probably tore her knee ligaments running - but she never really complained, because she loves running and sniffing almost as much as eating. She was limping some, so we went easier on her, but it was still more than I should have - but she wasn't complaining, and dogs do complain, if you listen to their signals. Anyway, that was about two years back, and she has finally compensated enough she was going up to 4 miles this summer. She just wouldn't get in the cart! She was having too much fun.

When I get back on the road bike, though, that is my time. I could take the white dog running if I was doing cyclocross or off-road, where I was a bit slower. I'd have to build up to the distance, but I don't think it would particularly bother him.

For the right dogs, it isn't the distance so much - its the speed. I think of the Iditarod - that's a lot of distance. But the dogs aren't doing it at 20 mph. Border collies are among the breeds with the highest genetic predisposition to being active and running. Distance should not be a particular problem, but you'd want breaks, and you'd want to build up the athletic level, just like with you. Altho, as I'm thinking about it, you might have a smaller border collie - and distances more than 5 miles or so might take considerable building to reach. I have some friends with a border collie like that. I had a border collie once, though. She was a bit larger, and would have been perfectly comfortable going more than 5 miles. Matter of fact, she was a real pita because she needed way more action than we could give her at the time.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Some dogs will not complain though, and like many humans, will push themselves further then they think they are, then pay for it the next day. I knew a guy that had a dog that loves to fetch. He went to a party and everybody kept tossing the ball for the dog to fetch, and the dog kept going, literally, for hours. The next day the dog was practically crippled and it never fully recovered. Sled dogs will run until their hearts explode. I've heard stories of people crippling their dog by having it run beside them when they ride their bike. Just please be careful. Like older humans, older dogs don't recover as quickly either.

I run with my dog, but because he is more interested in taking off into the bush, and I am trying to get a workout, when I stop to wait for him I do plyometric training right there on the trail.

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
hiero2 said:
Take a bike in the woods! Border collies have LOTS of energy. I remember seeing a vid clip, probably youtube, of some guys riding single track and jumps and all - with the dog following right along. I think the dog outdid some of the riders! If the dog shows signs of stress - that day, the next day, whenever, cut it short and check with the vet. My hound (the short-legged one) probably tore her knee ligaments running - but she never really complained, because she loves running and sniffing almost as much as eating. She was limping some, so we went easier on her, but it was still more than I should have - but she wasn't complaining, and dogs do complain, if you listen to their signals. Anyway, that was about two years back, and she has finally compensated enough she was going up to 4 miles this summer. She just wouldn't get in the cart! She was having too much fun.

When I get back on the road bike, though, that is my time. I could take the white dog running if I was doing cyclocross or off-road, where I was a bit slower. I'd have to build up to the distance, but I don't think it would particularly bother him.

For the right dogs, it isn't the distance so much - its the speed. I think of the Iditarod - that's a lot of distance. But the dogs aren't doing it at 20 mph. Border collies are among the breeds with the highest genetic predisposition to being active and running. Distance should not be a particular problem, but you'd want breaks, and you'd want to build up the athletic level, just like with you. Altho, as I'm thinking about it, you might have a smaller border collie - and distances more than 5 miles or so might take considerable building to reach. I have some friends with a border collie like that. I had a border collie once, though. She was a bit larger, and would have been perfectly comfortable going more than 5 miles. Matter of fact, she was a real pita because she needed way more action than we could give her at the time.

hiero2: Thanks. A bike in the woods is a good suggestion. I think I will try it.

You are right about border collie energy levels. They are huge. It is also true that you need to make sure that they train to level just as you do.

I've done 15 mile and longer runs with my dog through the woods and on country roads. She has no problem. You just have to remember dogs run differently. Whereas we tend to keep a steady pace, they need to break it up, stop, sniff, and then run ahead and so. I wouldn't risk running a long distance with a dog on a leash - it's just not their way.

I think in the woods on a mountain bike it could work. Definitely worth a try.

LauraLyn

BANNED
Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
silverrocket said:
Some dogs will not complain though, and like many humans, will push themselves further then they think they are, then pay for it the next day. I knew a guy that had a dog that loves to fetch. He went to a party and everybody kept tossing the ball for the dog to fetch, and the dog kept going, literally, for hours. The next day the dog was practically crippled and it never fully recovered. Sled dogs will run until their hearts explode. I've heard stories of people crippling their dog by having it run beside them when they ride their bike. Just please be careful. Like older humans, older dogs don't recover as quickly either.

I run with my dog, but because he is more interested in taking off into the bush, and I am trying to get a workout, when I stop to wait for him I do plyometric training right there on the trail.

Me too. I won't run with my parent's dog on hot days. Too afraid it will get in trouble with the heat and something will happen. With my border collie I feel better. She is stronger and more capable of distances and pacing herself.

Yeah, I only run off leash with the dog. The dog does her thing and I do mine. I stopped waiting pretty much. She tends to stay closer and closer, and I know she'll be along when she's done her thing.