• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who spent more time on the tarmac than on the bike

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Based on frequency and severity of the crashes I'd say Vandevelde. I really feel for the guy, be it due to bad luck or poor skills or both. And anyone wearing orange seems to fall a lot.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
The title of this thread is my quote from that thread talking about Christian VDV. I feel it's Christian VDV or Cozza. VDV stands out because of the wrecks in the big races.

Jonathan Vaughters was always in the wrong place at the wrong time as a rider himself.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
on eurosport someone called Menchov, Dennis "the pope" Menchov - because he is always kissing the ground. Frankly i think someone should make it stick, the only way i know how - typing it into the nickname section of his wikipedia account.

don't think he's fallen that much just that he has fallen on 2 memorable points in his carreer, he wasn't even part of a crash this tour

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
ericthesportsman6 said:
Juan Mauricio Soler, any Euskaltel rider

I feel Euskaltel riders commonly hitting the deck is a common misconception. I always thought that they had a tendency to crash more than the average team, and as a huge fan I always look at crashes to see if they are involved.

I have come to the conclusion that they crash no more than a FDJ, Ag2r, or a Footon. They are nowhere near the best bike handlers, but not so bad that they have to be deemed the "bleeding carrots." They're manager said they seem to crash more because their bright jerseys stick out, and I believe he is spot on.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
nvpacchi said:
I feel Euskaltel riders commonly hitting the deck is a common misconception. I always thought that they had a tendency to crash more than the average team, and as a huge fan I always look at crashes to see if they are involved.

I have come to the conclusion that they crash no more than a FDJ, Ag2r, or a Footon. They are nowhere near the best bike handlers, but not so bad that they have to be deemed the "bleeding carrots." They're manager said they seem to crash more because their bright jerseys stick out, and I believe he is spot on.

but when a misconception is parroted by those who don't know WTF they are talking about it becomes truth on the internet.

e.g., "the most tested athlete in sports."

erader

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Team Sky are making a run for the title. They fell a lot in the first week. Simon Gerrans - previously not overly prone to falls - fell 4 times I think, the final one forcing him out after 8 days (I think). That expensive team bus must have run over a black cat.

I was actually pretty surprised by how much Euskaltel crashed this Tour - I don't remember them ever sticking out for crashes...in any race.

They did seem to be on the pavement a lot this year. But, maybe it is because I started paying attention more after Matt Lloyds comments (which, I am sorry, was flippin hilarious).

Anyway - I think the top prize goes to CVV. That guy spends more time crashed out than racing. It seems that way, anyway.

Aug 30, 2009
Visit site
Euskaltel and Menchov

Menchov just seems to fall over and look what happens when he doesn't - 3rd in the Tour!

And poor old Van de Velde sheesh

Jul 18, 2009
Visit site
Before this Tour I'd have said Menchov. He always wins a special place in my heart for the final Giro TT off last year.

But he was probably the only guy in the whole peloton not to fall off this year at any point which took some doing, esp on the Spa stage.

erader said:
but when a misconception is parroted by those who don't know WTF they are talking about it becomes truth on the internet.

e.g., "the most tested athlete in sports."

erader

ffs
Give it a rest. This thread has nothing to do with Lance Amrstrong and doping. So far in this thread no one has made a mention of Lance Armstrong and doping. There are about 100 other threads on this forum where you can repeat ad nauseum every Lance Armstrong and doping talking point ever created. I myself visit those threads too, when i feel like discussing or reading about Lance Armstron and doping.

This thread however regards road cycling crashes.

Must you hijack this one too?????:confused:

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
i was at the roadside the first time Michael Rasmussen tried a TT bike - he puts all these guys in the shade.

meanwhile, Jan Ullrich always had a reputation for being a good bike handler that seemed to be totally opposed to his frequent crashes at crucial moments

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
galaxy1 said:
i was at the roadside the first time Michael Rasmussen tried a TT bike - he puts all these guys in the shade.

meanwhile, Jan Ullrich always had a reputation for being a good bike handler that seemed to be totally opposed to his frequent crashes at crucial moments

Ahh - forgot about Michael and the disaster on the TT bike. Plus Jan thinking it was time to sharpen the old 'cross' skills by riding off the side of the mountain ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYnfWP9t0Kk ... 2 minutes into the clip, but a lot of interesting images before

The Hitch said:
on eurosport someone called Menchov, Dennis "the pope" Menchov - because he is always kissing the ground. Frankly i think someone should make it stick, the only way i know how - typing it into the nickname section of his wikipedia account.

Classic! I like it.

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
ridley said:
Ahh - forgot about Michael and the disaster on the TT bike. Plus Jan thinking it was time to sharpen the old 'cross' skills by riding off the side of the mountain ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYnfWP9t0Kk ... 2 minutes into the clip, but a lot of interesting images before

The Chicken TT was pretty funny, just watched it on one of the Look Back replays recently. You just wanted to yell at him to ride the f'in bike.

TRENDING THREADS