• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who wants to know the truth more ?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who wants to know the truth more ?

• About the same.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Francois the Postman said:
Probably, but not as a stand-alone exercise. "Truth" can only be a step on a road. Not a thing in itself. Without changing the underlying system, you'd just create a vacuum to be filled by the same problem. And without acknowledging that most riders really were trapped in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation, "Truth" becomes far too abstract a concept, and punitive, for me. It has to be truth for a purpose/solution.

I guess I am more pragmatic than some. I think when the past is so complicated and dirty and more or less unavoidable for key participants, sometimes the only (quick) way forwards is to get truth on the table, but not by completely rewriting the accomplishments of the past, and only if it lets the lot move forward to a better future. Think Truth and Reconciliation in South Africa, or Northern Ireland (bit heavy, but just to illustrate the principle).

Which were not fair and ideal in many ways. But reasonably effective. I'd rather have effectiveness than "ideals". To put "Truth" on the table as if it is the most important thing.... that's where I start to have reservations.

Still not sure if that makes me a 1 or a 2.

I'd much rather favour a sort of blanket truth-amnesty for the riders. Fess up and kick the habit, with a fair, effective and independent testing regime going forward, and with harsh penalties for transgressors from that point out.

Franc, I agree with you.

As much as truth is good. it can be manipulated in a bad way. Better for the riders to admit there is, was, there is a possibility of the problem continuing and then stepping away from the problem. It is really that simple.

TRENDING THREADS