• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who was the best Sprinter?

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I am a fan of the 1980s, 1990s...and I want to see who people think was the best..

1. Jan Paul Van Poppel
2. Abdu, the ruthless Russian
3. Super Mario Chipollini
4. Sean Kelly
5. Olaf Ludwig

I liked Van Poppel...PDM used to set him up nicely. I remember a stage of the TDF and he bested Museauw, Ludwig, Abdu and Jalabert. No doubt he had the most speed that day.

Super Mario was a beast too. But things always had to be perfect for him

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
abdoujaparovstyrt1.jpg

And he is also a punk band.

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Cipo had an amazing train on his teams, especially Saeco, but he was just super fast. I forget what year he won 4 stages in the first 10 days of the Tour (99,00?). It's a shame he could never make it all the way to Paris. I believe he holds the Giro stage record for most stages. Milan-San Remo, Ghent-Welvegem once or twice, plus a perfectly raced World's.

Cipo-- for what he did on AND off the bike. He had style, panache, he was larger than life. Cavendish wins a stage and pretends to make a phone call, Cipo wears a toga and rides to the start in a chariot on Caesar's birthday (the day AFTER LA won the stage to Sestriere, so he could climb when he wanted to). Cipo laughed at the UCI fines for non conforming uniforms. Then there was the time he was fined for speeding on the autostrada...on his bike.

Even with all that, he won. Somebody else mntioned some highlights, I think he actually won Gent-Wevelgem 3 times, the last in 2002 from a break.

Kelly, would you call him a sprinter? Can a sprinter win a GT? He won so many other races where sprinting had nothing to do with it. Boonen is closest to the Kelly mold these days (and maybe Spartacus), but even so, Kelly won races Boonen either won't race or has no chance of winning. Kelly won 4 of 5 monuments, Tour de Suisse twice, Paris-Nice -7- consecutive times, multiple points jerseys in the Tour and Vuelta AND the won the Vuelta overall. Kelly is closer to Hinault and Mercxx than to any pure sprinter.

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
In a world of numbers and results- Cipo by a few bike legnths. Merckx once said something like 'Sprint? ride six hours then show me a sprint.' Mario still has the fastest sprint after six hours. and the panache... unrivaled.

A

Anonymous

For me Cippo, then Adbu, but for consistency when he probably wasnt built as a sprinter King Kelly, you cant argue with four green jerseys..

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
My bad to Abdu and all his fans, didn't mean to call him out of his nationality.

Man, I didn't think everyone would be such a Cipo fan...Cavendish is garbage as far as I'm concerned. I really doubt he could have hung with Abdu, Cipo and Van Poppel. I think most folks don't remember Jean Paul, dude was crazy fast!

I agree, Kelly is more along the lines of Boonen, but all those green jerseys definately warranted a mention. McEwen is fast, but he never really impressed me like Abdu, for being a short rider.

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
Go back another generation and the sprinters were Leman, De Vlaeminck, Godefroot etc. These blokes could sprint as fast as any AND win classics AND ride and challenge in stage races AND ride all year AND ride through a brick wall if needed.

Cipo et al? They wouldnt have beaten the Flandrians because they wouldn't still be there at the finish.

Vanspringel said:
Go back another generation and the sprinters were Leman, De Vlaeminck, Godefroot etc. These blokes could sprint as fast as any AND win classics AND ride and challenge in stage races AND ride all year AND ride through a brick wall if needed.

Cipo et al? They wouldnt have beaten the Flandrians because they wouldn't still be there at the finish.

I like this post. Can feel your Flandrian passion and pride:)

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Old School said:
I am a fan of the 1980s, 1990s...and I want to see who people think was the best..

1. Jan Paul Van Poppel
2. Abdu, the ruthless Russian
3. Super Mario Chipollini
4. Sean Kelly
5. Olaf Ludwig

I liked Van Poppel...PDM used to set him up nicely. I remember a stage of the TDF and he bested Museauw, Ludwig, Abdu and Jalabert. No doubt he had the most speed that day.

Super Mario was a beast too. But things always had to be perfect for him

Abdu as the best, craziest free lancer. He could win in anyone's train.
Cipo for organizing the best leadout trains.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Gotta be the Tashkent Terror.

Does anyone remember the CN article about the author trying to track down Abdu for an interview? Even though Abdu was never to be found it was an excellent article.

over the 70s and early eighties...freddy maertens.

probably the greatest sprinter ever (as voted i think by velo magazine a few years ago).

the amazing thing about maertens is that he absolutely dominated tts as well.

he won 13 stages of a vuelta he won.

and actually climbed okay at the 1976 tour when he finished 8th.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Well I dont know about many of these guys, but I suppose you have to mention Erik Zabel, 6 green jerseys 3 points jersey in the vuelta, he won milan san remo a few times too, he didnt win so many stages I suppose but he had a pretty great career.

or is this for guys in the 80s and 90s only, well then zabel was half in each so....

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
eddiepliers said:
Super Mario for sure, but I always loved how Robbie McEwen would come out of nowhere in the pack to kill it in the sprints..

I agree McEwen maybe is the best ever but he has the most explosive sprint

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I felt Zabel was probably the most consistent sprinter during his time on the road, but he never really had that GREAT speed of Cipo.

I still can't put McEwen on the list...fast, yes, but not in this league.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Van Popple
Cippo
Vanderarden

One of my training partners raced against Olaf Ludwig during the peace race, he spent most of the time getting battered by loads of solid Soviet Bloc racers and then ending up with Ludwig winning. it was apparently very tough racing.:cool: