• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will be the big surprise/revelation of the next Giro D'Italia?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Surprise of the Giro.

• Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Dombrowski. The only Sky rider on the list.

In all seriousness he is immensely talented and I cant wait to see what he does. In terms of who I would chose if I was betting that would probably be Duarte or Betancur. Duarte maybe inconsistent but he does seem pretty good and Betancur is class. The others may be better in the long run but they are mostly in their first/second years of pro racing and have not shown to much on the highest level.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
he's not a super talent by any means. also he can't climb

That's why I was wondering if he'll even ride, I can't find any decent results. But if he performs it would be a big surprise for sure.

I thought the question was who will be the biggest surprise- so therefore i voted Chaves.

The best young rider i think will be Kelderman- he has gone well at the WT before, he has a good ITT and unlike Dombrowski who will have to work for Wiggins full pelt and probably not be the last man pulling up the climbs, Blanco might allow him some freedom to target the best young riders jersey. Majka will also threaten.

Wackermann if he rides should be good- also Wesley Kreder.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
That's why I was wondering if he'll even ride, I can't find any decent results. But if he performs it would be a big surprise for sure.

he's a good talent. mostly itt, but he won't ride the giro. he's very young

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The fact that there is a poll for who is going to be a big surprise in the Giro ultimately means that the person voted to be the revelation is not really going to be a big surprise because we all expect them to do well. :eek::p

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
The fact that there is a poll for who is going to be a big surprise in the Giro ultimately means that the person voted to be the revelation is not really going to be a big surprise because we all expect them to do well. :eek::p

Anyone else?:p My english is crappy. :) Sorry for it. So WHO WILL BE THE BEST YOUNG RIDER IN THE NEXT GIRO D'ITALIA?

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Carols said:
Indeed he can!!! Can't TT for crap yet thoug. Regardless he will be shackled as a Wiggo workhorse :(

Not really. At AtoC he finished in middle of the field and in another ITT in Tour of Gila course he finished 3rd. He's not that bad.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
If, say, Kelderman or Betancur were to finish around 5th-8th on GC, that would still count as a revelatory performance, regardless of how many people on this forum predict it. Similarly, Dombrowski, Aru or Chaves climbing with the best in the final week in their first GT would qualify.

Personally I would vote for Betancur.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Atapuma will offer us some nice show in the Dolomites. I expect him to be the new king of the mountain breakways. IMO in the last year edition (with a route which would have suited him) he could have done a Top10 in the GC.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Also Cobo, Di Luca, Brambilla, Rabottini, Kiserlovski, Jeannesson, Capecchi, Intxausti could be "surprises" as well. But i wanted to focus on the young guys who havent shone in big races yet.

TRENDING THREADS