• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will be the big surprise/revelation of the next Giro D'Italia?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Surprise of the Giro.

• Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Looking forward to see Kreuziguer focusing on 1-week races and classics. That's where he first shone and he should ride for the win even in some 1.1 events in order to get that taste of success. He has ridden well in Liege in the past, maybe he gets lucky one day. And depending on the route and competition, he may have a chance in PN.
Maybe he can go to the Vuelta relaxed after some early season success. Or maybe he's just dead tired after working for Velasco :)

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I have big hopes in Majka, his vuelta performance was great.
Think he gets at top 10 in the gc.
Don't know if that will be a big surprise though, think he has a great potential.

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
maltiv said:
Seems like Elissonde is riding the Giro as well. Will be interesting to see how he goes in the mountains. With a similar profile to Pozzovivo he could excel in the longer mountains.

Where did you read this? Would be so interesting.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Jason_Mercier said:
Atapuma will offer us some nice show in the Dolomites. I expect him to be the new king of the mountain breakways. IMO in the last year edition (with a route which would have suited him) he could have done a Top10 in the GC.

atapuma won;t ride the giro under normal circumstances. duarte and chaves will

Maybe you’re right. However, in my opinion it would be a huge mistake to leave Y. Monsalve at home, if he is fully fit of course.

Who will L. Scinto consider anyway?

D. Di Luca
S. Garzelli
M. Rabottini
Y. Monsalve
M. Santambrogio
F. Taborre
O. Gatto
F. Chicchi
R. Andriato

Something like that. Alternatively Finetto, Failli, Monguzzi, De Negri – depending on how he wants to balance things out!

the asian said:
With Di Luca's signing, I doubt whether Monsalve will be given a chance to ride the Giro.

Maybe you’re right. However, in my opinion it would be a huge mistake to leave Y. Monsalve at home, if he is fully fit of course.

Who will L. Scinto consider anyway?

D. Di Luca
S. Garzelli
M. Rabottini
Y. Monsalve
M. Santambrogio
F. Taborre
O. Gatto
F. Chicchi
R. Andriato

Something like that. Alternatively Finetto, Failli, Monguzzi, De Negri – depending on how he wants to balance things out

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Atapuma is sure to ride the Giro:

“Clearly, those three [are going to the Giro] for different reasons and their different characteristics,” Corti said. “Atapuma does well on the big climbs, Chavez still is discovering himself — he’s good on long and short climbs — and Duarte has a lot of class and the most experience of the three. We hope they are on form and spearhead the Giro team.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/01/news/team-colombia-preparing-for-debut-at-2013-giro-ditalia_272166

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
I think Kelderman can fight for the win in the Polsa stage. Chaves likes the mythic Tre Cime Di Lavaredo one. Also he can do it well in medium mountain stages. Duarte said he go for the GC. Atapuma will be the king of the breakways for sure and maybe the guy will challenge for the KOM jersey. Majka. Well IMO if Majka can climb like in Cuitu and Ancares i think he can go for a Top10 even in spite of the 80/90 kms of TT. Betancur will be a Top contender in days like Pescara, Firenze and hilly finals. Well but i dont have idea if he will be able to stay with the bests climbers in the mountains. If we see the Carlos of Trentino that's for sure. Elissonde is too young but i can see him shining in the Dolomites stages. Finally i bet Aru and Dombrowski (if they ride) will be the superdomestiques of Nibali and Wiggins in the important days. The lasts guys. We can see a great battle between them (like in the last Giro Bio) and their both leaders. These are my expectations around the young guys.

Are we only talking climbers/potential GC types? I think that Luke Durbridge, Michael Matthews and Tom Jelte Slagter are young riders who could impress at the next level (GT's) looking at their current early season form. Each of them should be capable of pulling out a stage win.

Also look forward to seeing Aru, Majka and Dombrowski from the list above. Exciting talents.

42x16ss said:
Are we only talking climbers/potential GC types? I think that Luke Durbridge, Michael Matthews and Tom Jelte Slagter are young riders who could impress at the next level (GT's) looking at their current early season form. Each of them should be capable of pulling out a stage win.

Also look forward to seeing Aru, Majka and Dombrowski from the list above. Exciting talents.

Slagter won't ride.

TRENDING THREADS