Who will better the other Contador vs Schleck in 2013!

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Schleck vs Contador in 2013

• Other, for those who never vote but like to click buttons.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
airstream said:
I don't know what bandwagon means. Apparently I should support someone only according to Angliru's and Miburo's algorithm
I'm just kidding with you about your seemingly neverending shifting allegiances. When I use "bandwagon" that's all that it means. I'm just teasing you but I'll stop if it bothers you.

Jun 9, 2012
Whomever wins the tour will have the better season. That's likely the only real objective of both this year. It's the prestigious 100 edition and both, especially contador, know that they must defeat sky in order to demonstrate dominance. As airstream has stated many times Froome is really an unknown quantity whom they both fear

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Contadoraus Schlecks said:
Whomever wins the tour will have the better season. That's likely the only real objective of both this year. It's the prestigious 100 edition and both, especially contador, know that they must defeat sky in order to demonstrate dominance. As airstream has stated many times Froome is really an unknown quantity whom they both fear
As much as I would love to see a new Tour contender amongst existing ones, I don't think Froome is the guy (yet).
He probably has the required physical ability, but races like a dilettante.
I don't think Schleck and Contador are too afraid of him, if at all.
Their only concern should be their own form.

Jul 16, 2010
Froome got second last year while working for Wiggins and losing time on one of the earlier stages. He can win the Tour as strange as it may sound for a rider that no one heard of in 2011.

Contador was a bit too worried with Froome during the Vuelta. But he'll be more confident for next year.

May 24, 2010
2013 is much more than the tour and unfortunately come the start of the year Andy will revert to the norm worrying about LBL and the Tour while Bertie wins from San Luis all the way through. It's a season, not one sodding race!

PS...Bertie will still stomp all over him :D:D

PPS.....Merry Christmas campers

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
El Pistolero said:
Froome got second last year while working for Wiggins and losing time on one of the earlier stages. He can win the Tour as strange as it may sound for a rider that no one heard of in 2011.

Contador was a bit too worried with Froome during the Vuelta. But he'll be more confident for next year.
Lots of helpers have achieved nice results while working for their leaders. Just look at "most sophisticated" team.
It's different when they become leaders and subjects of attention on and off the road.
I'd say Contador was worried just until he saw him randomly attacking without thinking and observing the opposition.

Jul 16, 2010
serfla said:
Lots of helpers have achieved nice results while working for their leaders. Just look at "most sophisticated" team.
It's different when they become leaders and subjects of attention on and off the road.
I'd say Contador was worried just until he saw him randomly attacking without thinking and observing the opposition.
He stopped worrying when Froome's shape went downhill.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
El Pistolero said:
He stopped worrying when Froome's shape went downhill.
I think it's been already on stage 4, when Froome attacked on Valdezcaray pulling with him Contador and Roche and getting back to the bunch realizing it was thoughtless and senseless.
That stage and the one where Froome was distanced and attacked immediately after he caught Spanish trio, are showing his racing sense.

Contadoraus Schlecks said:
Airstream speaks of Froome as a "known" quantity. I agree that they respect Froome based on the skill he's displayed in the mountains, versus the clock, and are conscious of Sky's depth in talent for stage racing . I also agree with you that he is an "unknown" quantity but against Andy and Alberto.

serfla said:
I think it's been already on stage 4, when Froome attacked on Valdezcaray pulling with him Contador and Roche and getting back to the bunch realizing it was thoughtless and senseless.
That stage and the one where Froome was distanced and attacked immediately after he caught Spanish trio, are showing his racing sense.
I think that last attack was one of those, "If I'm hurting, then they must be too". A last ditch attempt to separate himself from his rivals before he blew in hopes that they would blow up before he would. It was a strange choice at the wrong time, especially considering he had the Tour in his legs. I give him credit for sticking it out till the end the Vuelta though.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Angliru said:
I think that last attack was one of those, "If I'm hurting, then they must be too". A last ditch attempt to separate himself from his rivals before he blew in hopes that they would blow up before he would. It was a strange choice at the wrong time, especially considering he had the Tour in his legs. I give him credit for sticking it out till the end the Vuelta though.
Very wrong assessment from Froome in that case, I think.
He was behind, labored to get himself back and didn't think even for a moment that it (catching Spaniards) was result of them slowing rather than him being stronger.
Watching the situation at the moment, I remember thinking: "Can't believe what's he doing. It's obvious they've slowed down in order to save themselves for the finish, realizing they can't shake off of each other."

Finishing Vuelta got to have something with team hierarchy for the 2013., IMO.
If I remember correctly, Vuelta was Sky's testing ground. At least that was the spirit after "controversial" Tour role.

Nevertheless, 4. place after second in the Tour and Olympics deserves respect.

serfla said:
Very wrong assessment from Froome in that case, I think.
He was behind, labored to get himself back and didn't think even for a moment that it (catching Spaniards) was result of them slowing rather than him being stronger.
Watching the situation at the moment, I remember thinking: "Can't believe what's he doing. It's obvious they've slowed down in order to save themselves for the finish, realizing they can't shake off of each other."

Finishing Vuelta got to have something with team hierarchy for the 2013., IMO.
If I remember correctly, Vuelta was Sky's testing ground. At least that was the spirit after "controversial" Tour role.

Nevertheless, 4. place after second in the Tour and Olympics deserves respect.
Remember though that was his MO up to that point every time Contador attacked: he would lose contact and slowly reel them in. Only this time it was pretty obvious to us that he was put into difficulty but maybe from his perspective he couldn't see that circumstances had changed. He still brought them back and it's possible he believed all that was being said and written about him, feeling it was just a matter of time before his rivals would falter from his awesome feats of strength (A little Festivus humour! :D). I would hope that it was a learning experience that he takes into 2013.

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Angliru said:
Remember though that was his MO up to that point every time Contador attacked: he would lose contact and slowly reel them in. Only this time it was pretty obvious to us that he was put into difficulty but maybe from his perspective he couldn't see that circumstances had changed. He still brought them back and it's possible he believed all that was being said and written about him, feeling it was just a matter of time before his rivals would falter from his awesome feats of strength (A little Festivus humour! :D). I would hope that it was a learning experience that he takes into 2013.
One more GT as a leader (against strong field, off course) and several week long races in same manner, and I think he'll get needed experience.
Giro is perfect opportunity, although I'm not sure he treats it that way (or if he's in position to call the shots, at all)

But there's a thing regarding him (I've mentioned in the clinic section) that keeps me restless.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Angliru said:
Airstream speaks of Froome as a "known" quantity. I agree that they respect Froome based on the skill he's displayed in the mountains, versus the clock, and are conscious of Sky's depth in talent for stage racing . I also agree with you that he is an "unknown" quantity but against Andy and Alberto.
Yeah, it is a healthy stance, unlike a stance 'I measure all by Contador'.

Jul 19, 2010
Afrank said:
Not at all, we just prefer to root for Andy as opposed to Contador. ;)

Why would Contador be angrier than Schleck? He won the Vuelta and showed he still had it, Riis went out and got him a real team, Saxo got into the world tour; I'd say things are going pretty well for him. Schleck on the other hand had a terrible season, his closest ally and brother may get suspended, and his team is falling apart and likely will only last one more season.

I'd say it's pretty clear who has more rage to use at this point.
When contador angry it shows on the road. With andy.. he 'got the fire in his belly' all right.. but that's about it, doesn't showed anywhere. Maybe because he ate some spicy food.. :D:D:D

Jul 27, 2009
Why would 2013 be any different than prior years?

My memory might be a bit clouded but I cannot recall a mountain stage where Schleck dropped Contador, with the obvious exception of stage 18 up the Galibier in the 2011 TdF. The very next day he lost time to AC (though not as much as he gained the day before).

He climbed as well in 2010, but I don't think he ever took any time out of AC.

I don't know their respective race schedules, so I am assuming they will only meet in the TdF. Zero chance he beats AC in 2013.

Aug 16, 2011
UpTheRoad said:
Why would 2013 be any different than prior years?

My memory might be a bit clouded but I cannot recall a mountain stage where Schleck dropped Contador, with the obvious exception of stage 18 up the Galibier in the 2011 TdF. The very next day he lost time to AC (though not as much as he gained the day before).

He climbed as well in 2010, but I don't think he ever took any time out of AC.

I don't know their respective race schedules, so I am assuming they will only meet in the TdF. Zero chance he beats AC in 2013.
Why would 2013 be the same as prior years? A lot can happen, just because Schleck wasn't able to beat him in prior years (with the exception of 2011) doesn't mean it is impossible for him to beat him in 2013.

Contador was also dropped on stage 12 of the 2011 Tour.

He took time out of Contador on stage 3 and stage 8 of the 2010 Tour.

They will also both race Tirreno.

Jul 27, 2009
Afrank said:
Why would 2013 be the same as prior years? A lot can happen, just because Schleck wasn't able to beat him in prior years (with the exception of 2011) doesn't mean it is impossible for him to beat him in 2013.

Thanks for the corrections. I forgot about those stages, especially the Luz Ardiden stage in 2011.

Jul 29, 2012
Afrank said:

stage 3 of 2010 tour? You're going use that? Shows how desperate you are

stage 8 2010 tour? Schleck took 8 seconds? :)

stage 12 of tour 2012? injured knee, ride giro. Yeah cool story bro :rolleyes:

Schleck never beat Contador in anything besides tour 2011. You've no evidence to support your claim whatsoever.

But reject common sense and use your imagination ;)

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Miburo said:
stage 3 of 2010 tour? You're going use that? Shows how desperate you are

stage 8 2010 tour? Schleck took 8 seconds? :)

stage 12 of tour 2012? injured knee, ride giro. Yeah cool story bro :rolleyes:

Schleck never beat Contador in anything besides tour 2011. You've no evidence to support your claim whatsoever.

But reject common sense and use your imagination ;)
roundabout opened the poll in the summer. 80% forum members voted that the knee was made up in order to justify a probable failure. How could you comment this?

Pffff, Schleck made Contador take a risk and make fatal mistake in 2010. About what are we talking. The victory in all respects.

May 24, 2010
airstream said:
... having cooked up an allegedly injured knee before. :D
And lets play the "get your excuse in first game" :D

The harsh reality of this thread is a scrap between the nearly 80% of people who voted Contador and the rest. None of us have the ability to accurately predict what will happen this coming year so we go on history and it tells us that on every occasion over the scope of a season Contador easily has the beating of Schleck (and everyone else for that matter) over the scope of a grand tour, everything else is nonsense!

Can't believe this thread is still going!!

Jul 29, 2012
airstream said:
roundabout opened the poll in the summer. 80% forum members voted that the knee was made up in order to justify a probable failure. How could you comment this?

Pffff, Schleck made Contador take a risk and make fatal mistake in 2010. About what are we talking. The victory in all respects.
He fell 2 times that week, that is eligible to affect something on this top-level. Btw are you forgetting he rode the hardest giro in a long time? ;)

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Miburo said:
He fell 2 times that week, that is eligible to affect something on this top-level. Btw are you forgetting he rode the hardest giro in a long time? ;)
The Giro hardness is opponents and contention primarily and only then parcours. The contention was away. What's the use of parcours when they rode Fedaia and Finestre like a slightly intensive training?

Not necessarily. One can crush harshly and fly over the cobbles on the next day. ;)

ASK THE COMMUNITY