• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will ride for Lotto - Ridley?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 27, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
What were Geox refused for last time? People were talking about it being Gianetti, because they must've had quite a few points with Menchov etc. coming in.

Anyway they still have the same management and have had a pretty bad year in terms of point-scoring so far.

I'd rather see Lotto stay in the top division anyway.

If the Lotto team is based around JVDB, Griepel and Vanendert plus some decent other riders then I agree they deserve a spot. A GT podium contender and a top sprinter is certainly enough.

Is there any word on what Adam Hansen is doing next year?

He came across to OPL with Greipel (apparently they are good mates) and was on a 2/3 year contract. Is he staying with Lotto, or going somewhere else, eg. Greenedge?

Just wondering, because he's a reliable, no-frills rouleur/domestique.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
You do realize Valverde is coming back?

And as has been mentioned Contador might ride for real this time. Doesnt have much else to do in April.

I do not understand this comment.

First of all its easy to ride in top shape when your suspended? What does that mean. I thought top shape was something that one got out of lots of hard work, certainatly not easy.

Secondly he wont be riding against anybody? Are you agreeing with the quote your quoting?

And Valverde has some something like in excess of 20,000km this year in training :eek: (mind you if you were on the money Valverde was on, even with a family, I'm sure he can afford to ride all day and not worry about work, or he sold off his fine car collection) so he should be able to hit the ground running when he comes back next year. I would guess that the 2012 TDU will be his comeback race, it least it seems logical/not surprising that it would be the case.

craig1985 said:
And Valverde has some something like in excess of 20,000km this year in training :eek: (mind you if you were on the money Valverde was on, even with a family, I'm sure he can afford to ride all day and not worry about work, or he sold off his fine car collection) so he should be able to hit the ground running when he comes back next year. I would guess that the 2012 TDU will be his comeback race, it least it seems logical/not surprising that it would be the case.

Good chance it will happen, heard from a few sources that he enjoyed racing the TdU a few years ago.

craig1985 said:
I still remember the breakaway of Sagan, Valverde, Lulu, and Cadel on Wilunga Hill, that was exciting racing :)

yep i was there that day and i tell ya i was yelling for cadel thats for sure...later on that day got a got a nod from valverde on his way home along king william street and that sealed my like for him... even though he rode against cadel in the vuelta but thats another story...

back to OP, team looking good but was hoping one or two of those riders would end up and greenedge, especially hanson...

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:

That's just not the same as training in races. If he's good in his first races again, it won't be long till he receives a life time ban.

The comparison with Contador is ridiculous. He stops after riding the Tour de France, that's training you can't get by riding alone and sure as hell better as riding 20000 km on your own.

And he usually does ride a lot of crits, so it's not like he's sitting on the beach all day after the Tour. He'll probably start racing in Mallorca by the way. Although Qatar and Oman would be better. Fast races is what he needs right now after coming from a suspension.

Lexman said:
I got this from a website

Dennis Vanendert
Jelle Vanendert
Jurgen VDB
Jens Debusschere
Tosh Vandersande
Klaas Lodewyck
Tim Wellens (neo next year, climbing talent)
Gaëtan Bille
Jonas Vangenechten
Kenny Dehaes
Greg Henderson
André Greipel
Marcel Sieberg
Lars Bak
Boris Bulgac

Apparently Maxim Vanthomme from Katusha... Joost van Leijen from VAC...
Nice team...
You mean Brian Bulgac, I think? Former Rabo Conti climber who now rides for Omega Pharma-Lotto-Davo (or whatever travesty they've managed to make of the name this time)?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
You mean Brian Bulgac, I think? Former Rabo Conti climber who now rides for Omega Pharma-Lotto-Davo (or whatever travesty they've managed to make of the name this time)?

I thought it was just called Lotto-Davitamon. Err, or the other way around lol.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
That's just not the same as training in races. If he's good in his first races again, it won't be long till he receives a life time ban.

The comparison with Contador is ridiculous. He stops after riding the Tour de France, that's training you can't get by riding alone and sure as hell better as riding 20000 km on your own.

And he usually does ride a lot of crits, so it's not like he's sitting on the beach all day after the Tour. He'll probably start racing in Mallorca by the way. Although Qatar and Oman would be better. Fast races is what he needs right now after coming from a suspension.

True, but the key is that he will have a base behind him and it won't take too long to get back into form, by Paris - Nice at least. But yeah nothing can replace racing, there is a lot of truth in the saying that racing is the best form of training.

Anyway I think we are too far OT :)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
If Dennis Vanendert is half as good as his brother this team looks very solid and think it will get WT if they sign Jelle Vanendert, Greipel, VDB2(don't know if they already officially signed them). Let's hope VDB2 does a good Vuelta, Lotto will need all the points they can get.

Libertine Seguros said:
Maybe Cavendish was scared that Greipel's willingness to work, get on the front and suffer for teammates meant Cavendish may one day be asked to do it.

Let's face it, they've had Kirchen, Rogers, Velits and Martin all being asked to lead Cav out, so why shouldn't he be asked to take the reins at the bottom of a climb, even if it's just for 200m? In the 2010 Giro, Ale-Jet led out on the bottom of one of the big mountains for Cunego...

A thread on OPL and 2 pages in and it somehow turns into another Cav bashing session.

There's a single good reason why Cav doesn't do any work for anybody else. It's got nothing to do with whether Cav wants to work or not. It's because his DS doesn't want him to. Quite simple. Damn right too. If I had a guy who could win 20 TdF stages in 4 years, I'd only EVER have him ride into the wind for 200m at the end of a race.

With respect to Griepel and a 2010 version of Petacchi (who I'm sure you realise didn't win a stage in that Giro), they don't come with that guarantee, so they have to earn their keep elsewhere.

Anyway, to answer the point you responded to, I think Cav and Griepel have grown up and realised that, now they're on different teams, they actually quite like and respect each other. I think that was evident in the Tour.

And to answer the OP, I think that OPL team looks very light on potential wins.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Huh:confused:

Whats time trialing got to do, got to do with it?

The only thing i can see about tting in my post is the mention of LLS in the first line which was a off topic joke.

Time trial skills ---> Endurance, Gilbert's greatest weakness.

Gilbert dropped Valverde and Evans on the Saint Nicholas. Those 2 worked together to bring Gilbert back on the flat part. Then Valverde won the sprint of the 3 man group. LBL has a FLAT finish. Valverde has a better sprint at a flat finish, but I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about hills, and Valverde definitely got dropped on Saint Nicholas.

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Sieberg has repeated what the managers of Gilbert and VdB have indicated, that the contracts were tied to the partnership of OP and Lotto and therefore the riders are now free to sign anywhere. So Gilbert could end up at Lotto as well if there is no buyout to pay.

El Pistolero said:
Time trial skills ---> Endurance, Gilbert's greatest weakness.

Gilbert dropped Valverde and Evans on the Saint Nicholas. Those 2 worked together to bring Gilbert back on the flat part. Then Valverde won the sprint of the 3 man group. LBL has a FLAT finish. Valverde has a better sprint at a flat finish, but I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about hills, and Valverde definitely got dropped on Saint Nicholas.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/belgian-time-trial-championships-2011/results trololololol

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
greenedge said:
I think that the team would be solid but might not have the necessary support for JVDB, especially if you take out the sprinters to focus on GC, it would look like a weak GT team. They may not also even get WT status.

Denis and Jelle Vanendert will be all the support he needs for the mountains. Not a lot of teams have a mountain domestique as good as Jelle. From what I've read, Denis is a good climber as well

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Are you counting on a neo-pro to be a solid domestique in the TdF mountains? Seriously?

I wouldn't count on it, but they say he's more talented than his bro. Anyway, with Jelle alone VDB2 has better support than most teams. Let's not forget he worked hard this year's Tour for Phil even before the real mountains started, so it was only normal that he cracked at the Alps. Andre is also a beast on the flat and even hilly stages, so he should come in handy as well in any stage that he can't win.