• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win 2012 Tour de France v2.0

Who will win 2012 TdF v2.0

• Alejandro Valverde

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I started the first thread right after the Giro. It was an interesting poll. Now that we have some new developments after Tour de Suisse. So it's time for a refreshed poll, maybe with some refreshed votes.

1. Can the Wiggins freight train continue to steam roll over the peloton?

2. Will Cadel repeat?

3. Can Frank Schleck surprise?

4. Can Gesink's upgraded ITT skills be extended to 101 km?

5. Will Levi become the oldest GT winner in history?

6. Will Valverde flip the finger to UCI by winning the Tour on his first year back?

May 28, 2012
Visit site
It isn´t very different, although putting JvdB on the list is an improvement. Anyway, Wiggins will still win this, probably over Cadel.
Maybe Rolland, Ryder or Froome should also be listed.

Still voted Wiggins.

As I keep saying there are too few mountain stages with the mountains at the right place. Either the finishing climb is too weak (La Toussiere). Or the last climb is too far from the finish line...

Only an injury or hunger knock or something can keep Wiggins from winning.

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Still voting for Cadel and I still belief Wiggins is already at his peak and will fade in the 3rd week. RSNT has shown strength in TdS and the Rabo Alpine division is getting into form, they will deconstruct the UK-postal train and Cadel will benefit.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Master50 said:
You put Levi on the list and leave Hesjedal off? I guess winning the first GT of the season eliminates him from the next?

I wanted to put both. But as much as I'd like to see him with a Giro-Tour double, there are too many stronger ITT'ers (Wiggins, Cadel, Menchov, even Levi) to put him on podium.

Besides, I don't think Garmin will be very agressive in the Tour after winning the Giro. Ryder himself stated he's there to help even as a leader. Plus OPQS is going to the Tour with GC ambitions. Levi has a stronger chance than Ryder, IMHO.

Remember, I can only put 10 choices in these polls, so someone's gotta give. I wish I could put 15. But given the recent performances, I think these are the best 10 I can come up with.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Evans will lose less than a minute to Wiggins in the TTs, but gain more than 2 minutes on decents and MTFs. Sanchez will gain a little more than 2 minutes on the MTFs and Decents, will lose 3 in the TTs, but will gain more than 3 attacking on one of the multiple cimbing days.
Sanchez by less than a minute over Evans, who finishes just over a minute up on Wiggins.

Leonardus said:
Still voting for Cadel and I still belief Wiggins is already at his peak and will fade in the 3rd week. RSNT has shown strength in TdS and the Rabo Alpine division is getting into form, they will deconstruct the UK-postal train and Cadel will benefit.

That my friend is a sweet name.......Rabo Alpine Division.....:eek:

Voted for my countryman Evans

TheEnoculator said:
Remember, I can only put 10 choices in these polls, so someone's gotta give. I wish I could put 15. But given the recent performances, I think these are the best 10 I can come up with.
Too bad that you didn't read F. Schleck's comments earlier, that would have opened another slot. I missed Levi on my comment posted in the 1.0 thread, good call. Anyway, I think you've put the most comprehensive list thus far.

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Still Wiggins for me.

Rabo Alpine Division, haha nice. They do enter with one of their strongest climbing teams ever imo. If only they would appreciate the giro more.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
cineteq said:
Too bad that you didn't read F. Schleck's comments earlier, that would have opened another slot. Anyway, I think you put the most comprehensive list thus far.

I did read his comments. But he finished on the podium last year. Andy has always been the leader in the Tour and not him, so Frank doesn't want the pressure. But if he feels good for the whole three weeks, why would he back down? This is the funny thing about cycling, you never know exactly how your body will perform.

Sep 12, 2009
Visit site
Evidence all season points at Wiggins and thats how i voted, but it really wouldn't suprise me if he blows big time on one of the big mountain top finish.

Heart says SS, but concerned over the ribs and he usual bad positioning at vital times.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Havetts said:
The Pope.. :cool:

+ :cool:.

Rabo indeed have a strong climbing team. Here's hoping they can outgun UK Postal. Are we seriously saying that Sky and Rabobank are the two best teams in the race for the mountains, though? :eek: