• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win 2013 Ronde van Vlaanderen?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win 2013 Ronde van Vlaanderen?

• Someone Else (Vino Forever)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I think due to the over hyping of the favorites we're due for another "One hit wonder" winning it due to the favorites thinking a bit too highly of themselves.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
He went way too early, but of course I covered that in my post. I don't think it's likely that he'll go from that far out ever again, especially not on the new, much harder course. It's a completely different race now, IMO.
Yeah, if he does everything right and the circumstances turn out in his favour he'll win. But that's always the case with favourites.

If you take last year's race, it was actually pretty open for a long time. The course was supposed to be way harder, but considering the size of the group until way into the final, apparently it's not. The main thing that thinned out the group was a crash.

theyoungest said:
Yeah, if he does everything right and the circumstances turn out in his favour he'll win. But that's always the case with favourites.

If you take last year's race, it was actually pretty open for a long time. The course was supposed to be way harder, but considering the size of the group until way into the final, apparently it's not. The main thing that thinned out the group was a crash.

My point was that the new route makes it more likely that the circumstances will play out in his favor, though.

The new route makes it (even) more of a waiting game, IMO. Not the same, but more similar to Liege and the Roche aux Faucons than it used to be. That doesn't mean it's not harder. Boonen kind of proved that it is.