• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win in Suisse?

Who will be the winner of the 4th Grand Tour?

• Majka

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Spilak

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Sergio Henao

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Pozzovivo

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Arredondo

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Pinot

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • Kwiatkowski

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • A rider who is lined up for Dauphiné but changes his mind (Mollema, Costa, JRod)

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 18.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wanted to make a parallel thread to BigMac's "Who can win the Dauphiné?" My guess is that route will be harder than excepted. The middle section of individual time trial is according to MapMyRide constantly 10-12%+/10-12%-. Up and down all the time for with short steep climbs. The Rettenbachgietscher is about as hard as Zoncolan and Angliru, if not harder and more gradual.

Full route here

Bonus info: Quintana will ride Route du Sud instead of Suisse. http://www.tio.ch/News/Sport/Altri-Sport/1029453/Niente-Tour-de-Suisse-per-Nairo-Quintana/

Re:

gregrowlerson said:
Go Kwiatkowski!!

I know that climb is tough, but how many 'climbers' will actually be racing here?

All the "lieutenants". The GC guys seem to prefer Dauphiné. Normally, Pozzovivo, Majka and Pinot should be able to take a couple of minutes (maybe more) on Kwiatkowski on that brutal climb. I included him because there might be bonus seconds and the TT is tailor-made for him. But it's gonna be hard. Maybe he should just focus on stage wins.

Re:

qwer said:
prologue will be decided between sagan and kwia... stage 1, the same thing... sagan will win 3 stages!!!!
Nah, stage 1 is 3,5k with 9%. And it's climbed twice. I wouldn't be surprised if the pure climbers drop Kwai too. It's that kind of stage that Valverde has a wet dream about. With no Valverde or Rodríguez, this is Henao's best chance to get a stage win. Maybe his best chance this year.

But you never know with Sagan's new climbing form. :D

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Here's a weird idea:

JvdB is apparently sucking this last week in the Giro because he is a bit sick (apparently since the 2nd rest day he's had diarrhea and stuff, according to the Sporza commentators). But with his new found TT skills and coming out of the Giro he might be able to limit his losses on the Rettenbachgletscher, considering we don't have people like Quintana riding this. The idea of JvdB winning a prestigious stage race is kind of weird, but I can see it happening somehow :eek:

I mean, Rettenbachgletscher is the only seriously selective stage where he could lose a substantial amount of time I think? There's a 38km TT to compensate for that and considering he did very well in the Romandie and he Giro TT he should be able to get a lot of time against the likes of Henao, Pozzovivo et cetera who are likely to put some time into him in the mountains.

I'm still baffled Costa isn't riding this. Even with the Rettenbachgletscher, the rest of the parcours would allow him to smoke the competition. No bias. Plus 4th Suisse in a row would be 4th Suisse in a row, not to mention equaling Pasquale Fornara.

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
Spilak/Majka. Where's the Fuglsang option?
Replaced him with Pinot. The parcours favor him more.

Fuglsang is a strong climber both in mountains and hills, great on cobbles and with a good TT, but he is missing something important: explosiveness, punch and a sprint. He is one of the slowest guys in a finish. That's why he never has won a WT stage or race.

TRENDING THREADS