• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win in Suisse?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will be the winner of the 4th Grand Tour?

• Majka

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Spilak

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Sergio Henao

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Pozzovivo

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Arredondo

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Pinot

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • Kwiatkowski

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • A rider who is lined up for Dauphiné but changes his mind (Mollema, Costa, JRod)

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 18.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm already hyped for the race and I'll be there the Rettenbachferner to watch the queenstage, it should be great. :)
Hard to pick a winner, it should be a decent fight.

Kwiatkowski is going to take it. He is really good on a first MTF, its the consecutive ones that put him in trouble because he has to dig deep. And there is no way he gets dropped hard enough on 3km hill. By hard enough I mean so that he wont be able to make it up on descent. I think with all of the hilly stages in the race and TT he should be able to take back couple of seconds he will lose on MTF.

Re:

damian13ster said:
Kwiatkowski is going to take it. He is really good on a first MTF, its the consecutive ones that put him in trouble because he has to dig deep. And there is no way he gets dropped hard enough on 3km hill. By hard enough I mean so that he wont be able to make it up on descent. I think with all of the hilly stages in the race and TT he should be able to take back couple of seconds he will lose on MTF.
Couple of seconds on Rettenbachgletscher? Couple of minutes (maybe four) is more likely. It's harder than Zoncolan.

Otherwise I agree with you that the parcours are perfect for him. He can win all the stages but the MTF. Even the "sprint" stages if the Etixx train is going full gas.

Stage 4 has two Hors catégorie, the last one is of the worst climbs I've ever seen. The gaps are going to be big-big-big.

Kwai tend to suffer a lot on stages with multiple hard climbs or very long and steep MTFs. Even in one-week races (see T-A 2014). But I had to include him because of the rest of the stages.

Velolover2 said:
Red Rick said:
Wasn't Quintana gonna do Suisse? Could be a good option then, with that huge MTF.
No, he changed his mind. Will battle with Contador instead.

http://www.tio.ch/News/Sport/Altri-Sport/1029453/Niente-Tour-de-Suisse-per-Nairo-Quintana/

This one is from May 25th, 5 days ago:

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/ruta/18801-en-suiza-ultima-carrera-de-nairo-quintana-de-cara-al-tour-de-francia.html

It looks like he is doing Suisse.

Escarabajo said:
Velolover2 said:
Red Rick said:
Wasn't Quintana gonna do Suisse? Could be a good option then, with that huge MTF.

http://www.tio.ch/News/Sport/Altri-Sport/1029453/Niente-Tour-de-Suisse-per-Nairo-Quintana/

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/ruta/18801-en-suiza-ultima-carrera-de-nairo-quintana-de-cara-al-tour-de-francia.html

Maybe they gonna send Nairo & Dayer, but tell both organizers it's Nairo! :D ;)

Escarabajo said:
Velolover2 said:
Red Rick said:

I still don't know if he is really riding. Could be a result of lazy journalism. If that's the truth I'll just change it to "Who do you think will get 2nd?" :D

Re: Re:

Velolover2 said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Spilak/Majka. Where's the Fuglsang option?
Replaced him with Pinot. The parcours favor him more.

Fuglsang is a strong climber both in mountains and hills, great on cobbles and with a good TT, but he is missing something important: explosiveness, punch and a sprint. He is one of the slowest guys in a finish. That's why he never has won a WT stage or race.
I honestly don't think the Rettenbachferner requires punch and explosiveness. Things will be decided by who is the best climber.

May 20, 2014
Visit site
If Quintana does ride it, he would be my favorite due to Rettenbachferner. Although it might not prove to be that huge of a deal that MTF. Not because it isn't a ridiculously hard climb(12.1 kms of 10.7%, and on altitude), but because it is that scary there likely is no race before the climb and no teams of peak form doms to drill the pace prior or early in the climb. So I kinda expect everybody just very conservative time-trialing up at their own safe pace and limiting their losses to Quintana within reason, no crazy stuff.

I voted Špilak, but it's a homer pick. If the race was in April, he should be the favourite. But he hasn't shown yet, that he can be in top form in June. It depends a lot on the weather, too. If it's too hot, he has small chances to win. Although the TT should suit him perfectly. Anyway I fancy Pinot's and Majka's chances better.

Samamba said:
Velolover2 said:
johnymax said:
I see Pinot and VDB are on the startlist at PCS. If they ride both should be an option in the poll.
If Pinot is riding, I'd include him for sure. VDB? No freaking way. I don't even think he will be in top 10. That's like adding Gesink.

Who knows, there is a TT of almost 40K where JVDB can gain some time.

Here is it. The first 7k are flat, but the Ardennes-like mid-section + the final (1k with about 8% before the final k) is what makes it interesting. Up and down all the time. It reminds me of the TT in the Vuelta last year, just longer. It's made for riders with both punch and power. Tom Dumoulin should target it.

Mid-section:
Julemand.png

The finale:
The_finale.png

Pinot. His year so far has been good, he is building up nicely for July: he should be very competitive. He'd better be very competitive. Otherwise, he might as well book a vacation to La Grande Motte in July :D . His form in the ITT will tell us what kind of expectations we can have for him at the TdF. In Romandie, he $ucked. He needs a morale booster in order to face off with the big ones and feel he is one of them. That's what it will take to top-5 on the Champs Elysees.

I believe, I believe, I believe, I believe, I believe, I believe, I believe, I believe, I believe, I believe, I believe, I believe, I believe, I believe, I believe, I believe, I believe, I believe, I believe, I believe!!!! :D

TRENDING THREADS