• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win in Suisse?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will be the winner of the 4th Grand Tour?

• Majka

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Spilak

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Sergio Henao

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Pozzovivo

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Arredondo

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Pinot

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • Kwiatkowski

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • A rider who is lined up for Dauphiné but changes his mind (Mollema, Costa, JRod)

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 18.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Velolover2 said:
Alexandre B. said:
Ricco' said:
irondan said:
DBotero said:
Henao will be very determined to win here after his failure in California.
I would say 'failure' is an understatement in this case. Henao lost to a sprinter.. Not good. Sagan won that race because the competition was weak (not including Alaphilippe) and Henao couldn't do anything about it. He shouldn't even be mentioned here, he doesn't deserve it. :eek:

A sprinter who ascended Mount Baldy a couple of seconds slower than Horner and Leipheimer in '11 and faster than Gesink in '12.

Alaphilippe is a puncheur.

Or even an explosive climber. I think he is closer to Valverde than he is to Gilbert. But let's see. He is still young.
I think he's somewhere in between. Don't forget, Valverde was 3rd in the 2003 Vuelta, when he was 23 years old.If Alaphilippe somehow manages a top 10 in a GT in the nearby future, I'd agree with you.

We still do not know, you're right about that. When Kwaitkowski was hyped a lot, people thought that he could win a GT. But now we has found his limits: The high mountains and long stage races. Could be the same for Alaphilippe. Winning a MTF doesn't necessary make you a great climber.

But by the look of it, I think he has a great future in sight.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
stage 3 will be shortend to 117 km. There were some rocks falling down the north side of the gotthard some days ago. Now we will see an ascent on the southside up the tremola and down again on the normal street.

Velolover2 said:
Samamba said:
Velolover2 said:
johnymax said:
I see Pinot and VDB are on the startlist at PCS. If they ride both should be an option in the poll.
If Pinot is riding, I'd include him for sure. VDB? No freaking way. I don't even think he will be in top 10. That's like adding Gesink.

Who knows, there is a TT of almost 40K where JVDB can gain some time.

Here is it. The first 7k are flat, but the Ardennes-like mid-section + the final (1k with about 8% before the final k) is what makes it interesting. Up and down all the time. It reminds me of the TT in the Vuelta last year, just longer. It's made for riders with both punch and power. Tom Dumoulin should target it.

Mid-section:
Julemand.png

The finale:
The_finale.png

Wow, beautiful TT. I like it.

Re: Re:

Velolover2 said:
Oliver said:
Voted for Spilak but hope for someone else.
I think no one actually cheer for Spilak. He is just one of those riders who is always up there in one-week races.
I do. What's not to like. Great climber and time trialist. Very aggressive rider that has become tactically more aware in the last couple years (thus getting better results), but when younger, he was a Pirazzi lite attacker. He is steadily improving every year and he is a great talent (9th at RVV as neo pro!!, won Romandie at 23yo). He is just entering his prime yet no one knows his limits. He has never targeted a GT, never targeted a classic or WC. I know for sure he'll never podium the Tour or Vuelta because of the heat, but I still have hopes for the Giro. And he'll never be a superstar because of his shy personality, but nevertheless, he is a great cyclist.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

johnymax said:
Velolover2 said:
Oliver said:
Voted for Spilak but hope for someone else.
I think no one actually cheer for Spilak. He is just one of those riders who is always up there in one-week races.
I do. What's not to like. Great climber and time trialist. Very aggressive rider that has become tactically more aware in the last couple years (thus getting better results), but when younger, he was a Pirazzi lite attacker. He is steadily improving every year and he is a great talent (9th at RVV as neo pro!!, won Romandie at 23yo). He is just entering his prime yet no one knows his limits. He has never targeted a GT, never targeted a classic or WC. I know for sure he'll never podium the Tour or Vuelta because of the heat, but I still have hopes for the Giro. And he'll never be a superstar because of his shy personality, but nevertheless, he is a great cyclist.
I still think that he could be great in a rainy Giro like the 2013 Giro and I cheer for him because he's so strong when the weather is really bad. He's always a contender in a one week race, but when the weather gets bad an all the others really suffer he still performs almost the same and ends up being way stronger compared to the other riders, I really like riders that thrive under such conditions.

Velolover2 said:
Wanna bet on a winner for each stage?

Prologue: Kwiatkowski
Stage 1: Henao
Stage 2: Albasini
Stage 3: Degenkolb
Stage 4: Pozzovivo
Stage 5: Kristoff
Stage 6: Sagan
Stage 7: Nordhaug
Stage 8: Dumoulin

Prologue: Sagan
Stage 1: Kwiatkowski
Stage 2: Albasini
Stage 3: Sagan
Stage 4: Pinot
Stage 5: Cavendish
Stage 6: Sagan
Stage 7: Henao
Stage 8: Malori

Overall: 1: Spilak, 2: Majka, 3: Fuglsang :cool:

johnymax said:
Velolover2 said:
Samamba said:
Velolover2 said:
johnymax said:
I see Pinot and VDB are on the startlist at PCS. If they ride both should be an option in the poll.
If Pinot is riding, I'd include him for sure. VDB? No freaking way. I don't even think he will be in top 10. That's like adding Gesink.

Who knows, there is a TT of almost 40K where JVDB can gain some time.

Here is it. The first 7k are flat, but the Ardennes-like mid-section + the final (1k with about 8% before the final k) is what makes it interesting. Up and down all the time. It reminds me of the TT in the Vuelta last year, just longer. It's made for riders with both punch and power. Tom Dumoulin should target it.

Mid-section:
Julemand.png

The finale:
The_finale.png

Wow, beautiful TT. I like it.

I am hoping to see the ITT in Bern. Does anyone know the name of a major street that is near this spot of about 8% gradient with a km to go that I can instruct a taxi driver to take me to?

And any info about the finishing area of the penultimate stage?

I could see Sagan smashing the prologue. The prologue will be a battle between him, Kwiatkowski and Cancellara if he is on his A game.

It's difficult when you dont have a profile of the climbs, but I could see Kwiat or Sagan grabbing a couple of stage wins. I think Sagan will come out on top if it is a duel between him and Kwiat.

Re:

Bushman said:
I could see Sagan smashing the prologue. The prologue will be a battle between him, Kwiatkowski and Cancellara if he is on his A game.

It's difficult when you dont have a profile of the climbs, but I could see Kwiat or Sagan grabbing a couple of stage wins. I think Sagan will come out on top if it is a duel between him and Kwiat.
In normal circumstances Cancellara should win a prologue like this, but I just don't think he's at reasonable form yet. Sagan was very convincing in ToC, so I would expect him to win if he's motivated. Kwiatkowski and Dumoulin are great outside bids.

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
Don't know what to think about who will win, but I love Tour de Suisse. Could be anyone named in the poll, I guess. Would like Pinot to win but...him riding a decent itt will be enough for me.

TRENDING THREADS