• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win in Suisse?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will be the winner of the 4th Grand Tour?

• Majka

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Spilak

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • Sergio Henao

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Pozzovivo

Votes: 8 8.9%
  • Arredondo

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Pinot

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • Kwiatkowski

Votes: 10 11.1%
  • A rider who is lined up for Dauphiné but changes his mind (Mollema, Costa, JRod)

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 18.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re:

Waterloo Sunrise said:
I'm sure it's been said, but what a dog**** GC field. If no one's going to ride it, it shouldn't have any more prestige than the TDU.
Sure there's no one from the big 4, but I don't think it's that bad. The top riders here would be in contention for the top3 in the Dauphine I'm sure. It' s just lacking a big name or two and some depth lol :p

Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
Flamin said:
Forget GC, look at the 'classics' guys who will hunt stages. Kristoff, Degenkolb, Sagan, Matthews, Kwiatkowski, Van Avermaet, Gilbert, Cancellara,... _O_

Someone said Sagan is going to get 4 stages at least.. I dont think so with that names there, although in life sometimes you are uin a bad streak, some time you are in a good one.

If those profiles would be a bit more readable, it would be easier to tell, but 4 wins seem very unlikely.

Everyone seem to forget what a great Tour Majka rode last year, and how he would have been a serious contender to Nibali, had he not lost time to protect Contador early.... I think he is going to smoke everyone in Switzerland.

Fuglsang is leaner and meaner than ever before, he will surprise people - he outrode Nibali on their mountain training last week... according to danish reporters, and knows Suisse is his only chance to ride an important tour as captain this year.

Pinot is one I am exited to see - will he finally reach his potential this year, or will he continue to have an off day here and there to spoil his chances?

Flamin said:
Taxus4a said:
Flamin said:
Forget GC, look at the 'classics' guys who will hunt stages. Kristoff, Degenkolb, Sagan, Matthews, Kwiatkowski, Van Avermaet, Gilbert, Cancellara,... _O_

Someone said Sagan is going to get 4 stages at least.. I dont think so with that names there, although in life sometimes you are uin a bad streak, some time you are in a good one.

If those profiles would be a bit more readable, it would be easier to tell, but 4 wins seem very unlikely.

Yes, especially because he will have to dig deep to win in most this years Suisse stages, as they are beyond his usual limits.... it would be poor strategy, when he is supposed to peak in the first week of the Tour.

Re:

Broccolidwarf said:
Everyone seem to forget what a great Tour Majka rode last year, and how he would have been a serious contender to Nibali, had he not lost time to protect Contador early.... I think he is going to smoke everyone in Switzerland.

Fuglsang is leaner and meaner than ever before, he will surprise people - he outrode Nibali on their mountain training last week... according to danish reporters, and knows Suisse is his only chance to ride an important tour as captain this year.

Pinot is one I am exited to see - will he finally reach his potential this year, or will he continue to have an off day here and there to spoil his chances?
So you want to tell us majka is the favorite because of his last tour while pinot isn't a favorite because he always has an off day? Pinot was much better in last years tour so your argument is complete nonsense.

Gigs_98 said:
Broccolidwarf said:

So you want to tell us majka is the favorite because of his last tour while pinot isn't a favorite because he always has an off day? Pinot was much better in last years tour so your argument is complete nonsense.
Majka matched Pinot the days he were targeting stage wins. He came home with 2 stages and the polka dot jersey, while Pinot got a podium and a white jersey.
In terms of prestige, the polka dots beat the white jersey competition, while a Tour podium is perhaps a little bit "better" than 2 MTF stage wins.
To say Pinot was much better is a direct lie

Cance > TheRest said:
Gigs_98 said:
Broccolidwarf said:

Majka matched Pinot the days he were targeting stage wins. He came home with 2 stages and the polka dot jersey, while Pinot got a podium and a white jersey.
In terms of prestige, the polka dots beat the white jersey competition, while a Tour podium is perhaps a little bit "better" than 2 MTF stage wins.
you are right "much better" was false because the only mtf where you could really compare these two was in Hautacam and there pinot was only 2 seconds faster than majka. However it is nonsense that majka is a bigger favorite than pinot because of last years tdf.

Cance > TheRest said:
Gigs_98 said:
Broccolidwarf said:

There is a major difference between winning stages from the break and fighting everyday for a podium spot on gc. Yes, Majka was very strong, but it's not really comparable to a 3rd on gc.

Bushman said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Gigs_98 said:
Broccolidwarf said:

There is a major difference between winning stages from the break and fighting everyday for a podium spot on gc. Yes, Majka was very strong, but it's not really comparable to a 3rd on gc.

Indeed, but we also have a real marker:

The 54KM ITT, stage 20, TdF 2014.

1. GER MARTIN Tony OPQ 1h06'21" 80
2. NED DUMOULIN Tom GIA 01'39" 50
3. CZE BARTA Jan TNE 01'47" 35
4. ITA NIBALI Vincenzo AST 01'58" 25
5. CZE KÖNIG Leopold TNE 02'02" 15
6. USA VAN GARDEREN Tejay BMC 02'08" 10

Pinot: +3:12
Majka: 6:10

Of course some might say Majka really didn't care about the result here, but sources tells me otherwise. Majka simply couldn't perform better.

Dazed and Confused said:
Bushman said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Gigs_98 said:
Broccolidwarf said:

Indeed, but we also have a real marker:

The 54KM ITT, stage 20, TdF 2014.

1. GER MARTIN Tony OPQ 1h06'21" 80
2. NED DUMOULIN Tom GIA 01'39" 50
3. CZE BARTA Jan TNE 01'47" 35
4. ITA NIBALI Vincenzo AST 01'58" 25
5. CZE KÖNIG Leopold TNE 02'02" 15
6. USA VAN GARDEREN Tejay BMC 02'08" 10

Pinot: +3:12
Majka: 6:10

Of course some might say Majka really didn't care about the result here, but sources tells me otherwise. Majka simply couldn't perform better.
Every reasonable person would say he didn't care about that result. He was 45th in GC. Why would he care?
Besides, he's shown on several times that he can perform in GT time trials.

Re:

Dazed and Confused said:
to Cance...

Read what I said. Sources tells me he wanted to test himself, but couldn't deliver.

And no, I don't think Majka has shown what he can do in a real competitive long flattish ITT in the 3rd week of a GT.
This is a ridiculous discussion. My original point was that Pinot wasn't much better than Majka in the Tour. Both riders had very different objectives, so obviously they rode a different race. Majka achieved his personal goals and Pinot achieved his. The few times they clashed (where u can atleast compare them), Pinot was hardly any better than Majka.
On stage 13: Chamrousse, Majka was allowed to go away with König, but they attacked from the favourites group nevertheless, and Majka beat Pinot by well over 40 seconds that day.
On stage 14: Majka's escapee group had ~40 seconds to the peloton at the bottom of Risoul. He beat Pinot by 50 seconds that day despite being in the break
On stage 17: Majka had 1.55 at the bottom of Pla d'Adet to the yellow jersey group. At the finish Pinot was 1.40 behind (gained only 15 seconds despite Majka being in the break for most of the day).
On stage 18: Majka and Pinot started the climb together, with Majka attacking early and riding solo for most of the climb. Being caught by the Pinot-group which was also led by TJVG, Majka lost 2 seconds to Pinot that day.

I realize that making these comparisons are probably not a fair indication of the climbing level of Pinot/Majka because of the differences in each rider's goals. Still, these are the facts, and the only argument you have is subjective and unverifiable.

Cance > TheRest said:
Dazed and Confused said:
to Cance...

Read what I said. Sources tells me he wanted to test himself, but couldn't deliver.

And no, I don't think Majka has shown what he can do in a real competitive long flattish ITT in the 3rd week of a GT.
This is a ridiculous discussion. My original point was that Pinot wasn't much better than Majka in the Tour. Both riders had very different objectives, so obviously they rode a different race. Majka achieved his personal goals and Pinot achieved his. The few times they clashed (where u can atleast compare them), Pinot was hardly any better than Majka.
On stage 13: Chamrousse, Majka was allowed to go away with König, but they attacked from the favourites group nevertheless, and Majka beat Pinot by well over 40 seconds that day.
On stage 14: Majka's escapee group had ~40 seconds to the peloton at the bottom of Risoul. He beat Pinot by 50 seconds that day despite being in the break
On stage 17: Majka had 1.55 at the bottom of Pla d'Adet to the yellow jersey group. At the finish Pinot was 1.40 behind (gained only 15 seconds despite Majka being in the break for most of the day).
On stage 18: Majka and Pinot started the climb together, with Majka attacking early and riding solo for most of the climb. Being caught by the Pinot-group which was also led by TJVG, Majka lost 2 seconds to Pinot that day.

I realize that making these comparisons are probably not a fair indication of the climbing level of Pinot/Majka because of the differences in each rider's goals. Still, these are the facts, and the only argument you have is subjective and unverifiable.
Well, yes your original point was another one but you weren't the person who started the discussion. The discussion started because someone said that majka was better than pinot in last years tour.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Cance > TheRest said:
Dazed and Confused said:
to Cance...

For me, Pinot > Majka in last year's TDF, but not much...

TRENDING THREADS