Who will win La Vuelta 2012?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who's going to win Vuelta 2012

  • Other

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
  • Poll closed .
Feb 17, 2012
2,762
0
0
jens_attacks said:
maybe you didn't watch carefully le tour.in some of the big mountains stages he was there:) looked pretty sharp

of course i have no idea if he will contend,we're talking about juanjo cobo here, he's like weather at 2500 meters.

but intxausti said that he's in extremely good form and he wants to win vuelta for the second time
It did look like he was timing it perfectly. Nowhere to be seen the first two weeks, then showed his little head in some of the early breakaways in the last week without going deep. He even stopped pedalling and rode back to the peloton to stay somewhat in control in of the stages. I think he'll show up in great form.

If that's enough for a big result that's a different question.
 
SetonHallPirate said:
I think the course favors Purito. The one time trial is not a specialists' course, after all, there's even a categorized climb on it, and further, there's roughly 347 MTF/HTF's (OK, I exaggerated, but there are a lot). Throw in the fact that Katusha has all hands on deck (both Menchov and Moreno are there to help Katusha's leader out), and Contador's Saxo Bank squad isn't exactly one to light the world on fire, and I'm thinking Joaquin Rodriguez finally wins his first Grand Tour.
Besides the course, time bonuses could be decisive: 12, 8 and 4 sec.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Dekker_Tifosi said:
haha i know right.

but they did include Quintana to my great suprise :D
And Talansky. You know, the guy who could barely follow the peloton at the end of last year's Vuelta.

Anglophone Cyclingnews outdoing themselves again.
 
the "article" if we can call it, that, says "this isnt the 2011 Giro" "those days are gone". no explanation of course is given.

Umm why? What is it about the 2011 Giro days that are gone? Contador was 28 then he is 29 now. is he supposed to undergo some reverse wiggins transformation between then?

Also why is it that if Froome fails to beat the greatest gt rider alive wiggins will be "top dog" for the Tour next year.

By that ridiculous logic if gesink and mollema fail to beat contador rabo should make kruiswick leader for the tour next year.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
Speaking of Rabo, Daniel Benson picks Gesink as their top dog for the Vuelta. Adding that crashes tend to affect him. Well, then don't pick him, and take last year's 4th on GC!

I don't get why Gesink still gets mentioned as a favourite for these races.
 
The Hitch said:
the "article" if we can call it, that, says "this isnt the 2011 Giro" "those days are gone". no explanation of course is given.

Umm why? What is it about the 2011 Giro days that are gone? Contador was 28 then he is 29 now. is he supposed to undergo some reverse wiggins transformation between then?
Just use common sense, see Tour 2011. Are you one of those posters who's going to to excuse him for being tired from the Giro, or that he wasn't in top form, or that he was injured and blah, blah, blah?
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
cineteq said:
Just use common sense, see Tour 2011. Are you one of those posters who's going to to excuse him for being tired from the Giro, or that he wasn't in top form, or that he was injured and blah, blah, blah?
You think he ran out of beef by the time the Tour came around?
 
cineteq said:
What, the Eneco Tour??? LOL!!!:D Have you seen TdF 2011? That's your reference. ;)

I don't hate anyone, nor I'm angry. I just like underdogs, like Rodriguez and Gesink. I suggest you stop taking things personally, it's not good for you.
I have seen the 2011 a few times. Do you have some secret information that we are going to see another Karpets attack on Contador? Indeed if Alberto faces 3 or 4 crashed and some questionable ruling from the organizers he might come 5th at the vuelta and then , on the other end, being free from the stress of CAS ruling and not tired from a tough TDF, he might be too good at the Vuelta, if i judge from 2011 strength.
 
theyoungest said:
Speaking of Rabo, Daniel Benson picks Gesink as their top dog for the Vuelta. Adding that crashes tend to affect him. Well, then don't pick him, and take last year's 4th on GC!

I don't get why Gesink still gets mentioned as a favourite for these races.
I think Gesink definately is a favorite.

He can be as good as, equal to or worse than the likes of J Rod Cobo anton etc, and Froome despite hype and fears that sky have magic potion that makes the body forget its done a gt, is going to find it very hard to do a second gt.

If Contador struggles with the lack of race days, then it really is there for the likes of Anton J Rod and Gesink to step up, or mollema too even.

cineteq said:
Just use common sense, see Tour 2011. Are you one of those posters who's going to to excuse him for being tired from the Giro, or that he wasn't in top form, or that he was injured and blah, blah, blah?
Why did Nibali suck so much at the Vuelta btw?
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
"Contador finds himself on the back foot."

If they do some research they know Contador broke his training record 2 times this year.

And on what do they base themself, of the race in Argentina or tour 2011? :confused:

But whatever I don't care what they say, let's just wait euh 4 days right?

Yeah 4 days, then we'll see what they say. And we know how he is, he'll go on that stage, he won't be able to resist.

He can't resist, YOU KNOW IT!!! He'll be like "I've climbed quicker on training, let's give it a push"

But we all know that we really will have to wait for july 2013. BANG
 
Is Contador such a clear favourite that this is his race to lose? This isn’t 2009, when he laid down one of the most astonishing displays the Tour de France has ever seen, nor is it the 2011 Giro d'ltalia, when he had the impressive audacity to inform his rivals when and where he would attack on the slopes of Etna. Those days are in the past, and Contador finds himself on the back foot.

wait..what?
he will be stronger than ever
but the main idea is you can't be sure that he will be stronger than froomy

no doubt,he will be at least,at 2011 giro level


ok,putting quintana on the list instead of alejandro is very good though
 
The Hitch said:
Why did Nibali suck so much at the Vuelta btw?
Aren't you the one calling Contador the King, the Great One? :rolleyes: On the other hand, the guy's supposedly tired from the Giro, or injured but he was able to do a serious long-range attack on TdF 2011 stage 19?

And btw, Farrar made Nibali crashed, and he wasn't obviously the same after that.

Daniel Benson agrees:
"He’s also not raced a Grand Tour since 2011’s limp Tour showing and while his recent Eneco ride shows that he’s in form, it doesn’t give a complete reflection of his three-week capabilities. Factor in that he’s not won a time trial since last year’s Giro d'Italia and he looks more beatable than ever."
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,137
1
0
he hasn't won a timetrial since last years giro? lol. how many did he ride actually? and he was injured during the tour 2011
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
cineteq said:
Daniel Benson agrees:
"He’s also not raced a Grand Tour since 2011’s limp Tour showing and while his recent Eneco ride shows that he’s in form, it doesn’t give a complete reflection of his three-week capabilities. Factor in that he’s not won a time trial since last year’s Giro d'Italia and he looks more beatable than ever."
Let me see: He was 3th in the TT of the tour where there was nothing to win anymore. Euh we're counting a TT in januari? And then the TT of the eneco tour completely not suited for him, his first race after a long break still he was 7th.

Yeah Daniel is a genius, and these people get payed right? damn...
 
Miburo said:
"Contador finds himself on the back foot."

If they do some research they know Contador broke his training record 2 times this year.

And on what do they base themself, of the race in Argentina or tour 2011? :confused:

But whatever I don't care what they say, let's just wait euh 4 days right?

Yeah 4 days, then we'll see what they say. And we know how he is, he'll go on that stage, he won't be able to resist.

He can't resist, YOU KNOW IT!!! He'll be like "I've climbed quicker on training, let's give it a push"

But we all know that we really will have to wait for july 2013. BANG
On Arrate he will finish 7th on m.t with the winner but Froome will come 2nd and Anton 3rd and they will all say - Contador is lost.
Just watch;)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY