• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the 2009 Amstel Gold Race?

Who will win the 2009 Amstel Gold?

• OTHER

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
whats ur 1,2,3

why is Valverde in the selection. Banned , cuffeed and behind bars.

The races finishes after 31 climbs on the Cauberg, which when you look at it would seem the big sprinters would be ruled out but Zabel is a past winner ..So im going for strong men needing a win:
1, Philippe Gilbert,
2,Damiano Cunego
3, Karstin Kroon the form is there

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Cunego for sure looks like the man to beat judging on his recent form.

Podium:
1. Cunego
2. Valverde
3. Scarponi

Dark horse: Joaquin Rodriguez

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
1. Cunego
2. Valverde

3. Rebellin
4. F. Schleck

Same names as last years edition, other ranking. I think Gilbert can get inside the top 10, but winning won't be possible I'm afraid, as he's against fresh fit and highly motivated riders, while he's already had a very tiring spring campaign so far.

Where is Sami Sanchez? Or does anyone know something I don't?

I would consider him right up there along with Cunego, Valverde and Rebellin if he starts. And Sami has proven that he's right on form.

Two outsiders not on the voting list: Alexandre Kolobnev and David De La Fuente - both have very good form right now and should be suited well for this race.

My understanding is that Sanchez is preparing his entire season around winning the Vuelta.

I picked Valverde, as I think he has some fire, and an axe to grind before he gets suspended. But I really want Cunego to win. I like the kid, despite some of his youthful exuberance in 2004. If Simoni forgives him and says he'll support him, I will too.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
The question is, will the organisers of the three upcoming ardennes classics take the risk of letting Valverde start, while it is quite possible that he gets a suspension next month? I mean, he's a serious contender for victory in all three races, so chances are likely he takes another win. They surely don't want to take the risk of his potential victory blowing up in their faces later on, when he gets suspended? It's not like they couldn't see it coming...

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Buffalo Soldier said:
What's with the 'or's?

Gilbert gets my support!

What's with Gilbert? Has he even had a top-twenty placing in this race? He's more of a "hard man", no? Not quick ready to handle such huge amounts of climbing I think. This is a really hilly race!

Gilbert's best results in related races: 2007 19th in Flèche Wallonne
16th in Liège - Bastogne - Liège

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Any word on Elmiger?

I read that Elmiger crashed in the Paris-Roubaix. Any one know if he's okay? He's a great rider and stands to do very well in the classics if healthy! Please update!

TRENDING THREADS