• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the Giro? 16th rest day poll

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will not lose?

• Armirail

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Thomas

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • Roglic

Votes: 75 46.6%
  • Leknesund

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Caruso

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Remco

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Zzzzzz

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Vino/Other

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Almida

Votes: 25 15.5%
  • Rubio

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
Who will win and who deserves to win? Not maybe the same answer to those questions. Either Roglic or Thomas I suppose will win, but unless Ineos or Jumbo drastically change their tactics, we won't be dancing in the streets or naming our first born after the winner.
The most entertaining thing so far has been all the arguing between riders and commentators, so I nominate Lance Armstrong as winner for calling Jonathan Vaughters "a f*cking clown". Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! Mind you, he might be disqualified later on, if he's taken any intoxicating substances.
LA ought to look in the mirror....Biggest Clown ever.

Caruso has been hyped to attack on every meaningful descent of the route so far.
And yet the only "attack" was probably only meant to help Milan stay ahead and contest the sprint later.

I genuinely have no idea of who will win this Giro. It's impossible to understand who has better legs at the moment.
Caruso is the kind of guy who benefits from hard multi-mountain stages and is a good tter at the end of a GT. The others not putting time into him on the stages that suit him less could be a problem for them in the end.
Roglic can underperform in an ITT and the end of a gt and Thomas banking on being faster on a climb that features pretty much 5kms at 15% while being close to 70kg heavy is also a bit of a risk. If one of the lighter guys manages to crawl back some time before the final ITT I can see him putting in a dominant performance.

With Almeida I can understand why he banks on staying close to them on the gc and striking on the last mountain stage and/or in the MTT, the gap is so small that he doesn't need to gain a lot of time.

Reactions: Tonton
The whole Pinot, Vaughters, Lance stuff is so absurd I really hope tomorrow's stage is action packed to the extent people forget the entire episode & move on.

The truth of the matter is the guys from The Move (Bruyneel especially) were so triggered by Vaughters being on the Eurosport commentary team last week, Armstrong jumped at the opportunity to cr*p all over him no matter the pretext. Yes, it's that petty. But would Lance Armstrong want Pinot to see a clip from one of his podcasts a few years ago when he mocked him for crying & getting hugged by his teammates during a TdF stage? I think not.

Then there's the ultimate insult to our collective intelligence when some people start saying Vaughters shouldn't be in the pro-peloton due to his own past (I've read this in France)... when Pinot's boss is a fellow called Marc Madiot.

Cherchez l'erreur, as the French say.

Rest day pics

Fwu4VZ5XoAAX9Wm
FwvJgR6WYAIoPo5

FwvJgR8WwAEXJYC

Fwu0mWGXgAEWRGd

FwvErVnWYAMsqwG

FwvLo7sWcAYUQRC

If I'm Thomas and Almeida I'm absolutely taking the current time gaps as they are going into that last TT. Neither were anywhere near the favourites going into the giro and might fancy their chances with Roglic's inconsistencies in late GT time trials and perhaps him having picked up minor injuries in the race. Quite a lot of potential outcomes there but I think a defensive race suits their characteristics very well, so I'm not surprised that they aren't attacking.

What is likely to happen is Roglic winning the final tt/giro and this conservatism from Jumbo Visma being retconned into some sort of tactical masterclass. If they are capable of taking time then they absolutely should do, anything less than a minute advantage going into it is a fail regardless of the final outcome (unless he's badly injured obviously).

Have gone for the obvious option of Roglic gaining a couple of minutes on Thomas, then sitting on his wheel till the last 200 metres of every stage. Nothing would make me laugh more than a Thomas win , otherwise Caruso for Italy. Will only support Almeida if he does at least one Froome yo-yo on his way to victory. Mainly I don't really care, which is increasingly the case with The Giro :neutral:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I voted Roglic. But even without Tao, Ineos is still there with numbers. Roglic, Thomas, and Almeida may all like their chances in the final ITT if the gaps between them remain the same as they are now. This is weird and doesn't bode well in terms of GC action. Someone behind them must become "The New Carapaz" real quickly then. Caruso? He's just a minute and change behind them, he's Italian, that's his ticket to immortality. If Pinot doesn't win this bike race, I'd like Damiano to get it for Italy.

All complaints about how boring this years addition are really just confirming how exciting it has been to have Roglic in a any race in previous years.

All the other GC riders are being their boring selves. And this year Roglic as said for the first two weeks I too will be dishwater just like everyone else.

Starting now, Roglic will do his stomping and put time into people AND get time bonuses for the win.

Bit surprised that Roglic and even Almeida have so much more votes than Thomas. The guy finished the Tour 3 times on the podium, so knows how to ride GTs well.
Quoting myself :p

No but seriously - Thomas quite convincingly showed that he is the best outside the untouchables (Vingegaard and Pogacar) in GTs last year at the Tour. Now we still have no final assessment of Evenepoel and I wouldn't claim that I expected Thomas to drop Roglic today but the poll indicated Roglic to be 5-times more likely to win the Giro than Thomas, and that I found indeed off.

Reactions: gregrowlerson

TRENDING THREADS