• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the TdF KOM jesrsy?

May 11, 2009
Visit site
If LA recovers from his wounds tomorrow is it possible he could aim for the overall KOM jersey?

After all the GC contenders won't want to battle for many KOM points.

Who is the main contender for this jersey?

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
avanti said:
If LA recovers from his wounds tomorrow is it possible he could aim for the overall KOM jersey?

Multiple threads on this already. Also, Lance would never go for the KOM.

May 31, 2010
Visit site
armstrong - best way of getting on the podium now, and he has the canniness to get into breaks, especially now he is out of contention for GC

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
To answer the thread topic...

Who will tagrget and win the KoM jersey? At this stage it looks like Rafael Vall. Sprinted from the group to mop up any points on offer on the last stage and has the extra motivation to get into a different jersey thanks to the genius Footon kit.

Mario Aerts is in decent position to challenge and Silence don't seem to be spending energy looking after JvdB.

I can't see Pineau challenging in the real mountains. He dissapeared pretty quick today.

I actually suspect that Contador and Schleck may end up 1 and 2 in the competition, but becasue of the jersey hierarchy Rafael Valls will look after the spots for them.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Thee_chisa said:
armstrong - best way of getting on the podium now, and he has the canniness to get into breaks, especially now he is out of contention for GC

Even at 13 minutes, nobody is going to let Armstrong go in a break anytime soon. Neither the peloton, the other break riders, or his team. Compositions of breaks are tightly controlled.

Besides that, Armstrong is not a break rider and has too much to lose mentally and from a team standpoint by being in a break. Ain't gonna happen.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
avanti said:
]If LA recovers from his wounds tomorrow is it possible he could aim for the overall KOM jersey?[/color]

lance is finished dude. i'll be surprised if he finishes the race.

ed rader

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Anyone who thinks Astana would let Lance in a break after the disrespect he showed Conti is kidding himself. His desire to do something may see him try for Tourmalet, the prestige stage of this year's tour. But he's probably a better chance going off the front on one of the downhill finishes as I don't think he's got it to win Tourmalet. Madeleine is apparently one of his favourite climbs so maybe after a day's recovery he can do something over the top and a big downhill to the finish line.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
We'll know after Tuesday's stage I think.

If my math is right and they're giving double points for Madeleine, then there are 84 points available on the day (40 for winning the last climb alone).

I wonder if the other teams would let Brajkovic in a break... he won the Dauphine which would make me think no... but he is 14 minutes back.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
That's when Martinez, Taaramae or Fedrigo will make their move in the KOM race. Chavanel will get in the break that day to defend Pineau's jersey. So Chavanel may end up going for the jersey. He can climb well enough.

May 22, 2010
Visit site
PCutter said:
Anyone who thinks Astana would let Lance in a break after the disrespect he showed Conti is kidding himself.
yeah i'm sure that's going to be astana's key strategy, screw controlling schleck or evans, just make sure lance knows it was a mistake to dis' contador last year. Navarro rode so well yesterday, he can probably chase down lance AND control the race for alberto.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
We'll know after Tuesday's stage I think.

If my math is right and they're giving double points for Madeleine, then there are 84 points available on the day (40 for winning the last climb alone).

I wonder if the other teams would let Brajkovic in a break... he won the Dauphine which would make me think no... but he is 14 minutes back.

Brajkovic looked pretty bad pacing up Armstrong yesterday, I don't think he'll be as powered up here as he was in the Dauphiné. Or maybe he was just looking depressed because his great idol Armstrong was losing time. :p In that case, who knows.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
PCutter said:
Anyone who thinks Astana would let Lance in a break after the disrespect he showed Conti is kidding himself.

Contador has never really seemed to put that much energy into the feud with Armstrong. I certainly wouldn't blame Contador for shutting down Armstrong, but he might decide to be the bigger/smarter man and not waste energy on someone who's no longer a contender. Certainly he won't allow Armstrong to get 15 minutes, but 5 minutes is quite safe.

It's not unreasonable to think that a rider high on GC can win, however none of the teams with the exception of Astana have the depth to control the breakaways close during every mountain stage and i doubt that any team with GC contenders will really try.

Of the current KOM leaders i expect Pineau to struggle and Chavanel to continue hunting for stages (Gap, maybe Pau). I am thinking Valls, Moinard and Moreno will try for the KOM.

I'd be very surprised if Pineau or Chavenel win KOTM.

The only guy whose actions make it clear he is chasing the polka dot jersey is Rafael Valls. Can anyone tell me something more about him? I have to say I don't think I've heard of him before and suddenly he's up there climbing with the GC contenders in a grand tour ... :confused:

I'm on Moinard at 50-1 but not really confident after yesterday. I think if he were targeting the KOTM he would have made some effort to take the points in the breakaway - the others in the break weren't interested after all.

Although, he has said he might attack again tomorrow in search of a stage win, so he could find himself close to the lead in the KOTM by accident and then end up chasing it.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Sasquatch said:
Because he won't be able to handle the bigger climbs unless there are weak climbers in the break.

i kinda agree mate..but looking at tomz stage if he was to get in the break away he could get around 40 points before the last climb which would put him 40 ahead...i'm hopeing he wins i backed a rider not qouted an he is one :D

badboyberty said:
I actually suspect that Contador and Schleck may end up 1 and 2 in the competition, but becasue of the jersey hierarchy Rafael Valls will look after the spots for them.

polka dots are above white on the jersey hierarchy. Hence why Txurruka was in white in '07 when Bertie was in yellow and Soler in polka dots. So in your scenario, Andy would be in the dots.

Valls looks like he's keen for them, but Martínez is always going to be worth keeping an eye on. Stage 16 is absolutely critical to this, and the double points for final climbs will keep GC contenders in reasonable positions (20 points for Mende, for example)

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
The Barb said:

The only guy whose actions make it clear he is chasing the polka dot jersey is Rafael Valls. Can anyone tell me something more about him? I have to say I don't think I've heard of him before and suddenly he's up there climbing with the GC contenders in a grand tour ... :confused:

The only thing I know about him is he won a mountain stage at the Tour de San Luis and came 2nd on GC there this January.

Pineau did very well today and almost gained the maximum points realistically available to him.
Charteau is also in excellent form and he said that will fight for the jersey. Moreau did go for the points on the climbs and he will probably try to for a stage win again later on.
Valls lost 26 minutes, hopefully it was deliberate and not a sign that he is running out of strength.

They are probably the realistic contenders left.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
i must say i don't not alot about Anthony Charteau can the boy climb??? if so better then Pineau? cose he looked strong.. Cunego doesn't look strong enough to win it he got droped at one stage

What about Christophe Moreau? He was only there because he was working for LLS, but he is third on points, and in his last Tour. It doesn't seem like there is a known climber that is targeting the jersey as Franco did last year.

Personally I would like to see Sastre go after the KOM as he has little chance of a podium and almost no (anything can happen) chance of a win. I think Cervelo could call it a great Tour if they take two jerseys home. I don't think he's lost enough time to be allowed off the front and it may be too late to throw a stage and get in the race. He has "0" Mountain Points currently.

TRENDING THREADS