• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who will win the Vuelta (rest day 2)

Who will win the Vuelta (rest day 2)

• Chris Froome

Votes: 79 65.8%
  • Vincenzo Nibali

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • Ilnur Zakarin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wilco Kelderman

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Johan Esteban Chaves

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Miguel Angel Lopez

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Fabio Aru

• Alberto Contador

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Other..

• Total voters
Current top 10:

1(1) FROOME Christopher Team Sky2062:06:25
2(2 )NIBALI Vincenzo Bahrain Merida Pro Cycling Team 1:01
3(4) ZAKARIN Ilnur Team Katusha - Alpecin 2:08
4(3) KELDERMAN Wilco Team Sunweb 2:11
5(5) CHAVES Johan Esteban ORICA-Scott 2:39
6(10) LÓPEZ Miguel Ángel Astana Pro Team 2:51
7(6) ARU Fabio Astana Pro Team 3:24
8(9) WOODS Michael Cannondale-Drapac Pro Cycling Team 3:26
9(8) CONTADOR Alberto Trek - Segafredo 3:59
10(11) POELS Wout Team Sky 5:22

I think Froome will win. Lopez will go all the way up till second place. Nibali 3rd, Zak 4th, Kelderman 5th.
Then Chaves, Contador, Woods, Aru, Poels

Froome
Nibali
Lopez

Hard to see beyond that with the TT on Tuesday I expect Froome and Nibali to extend their leads over Lopez by varying amounts. Lopez could with this form perhaps overturn 2-3 minutes on Nibali with the climbs to come and perhaps climb to 2nd on the podium, hard to see how Lopez can take 5+ minutes out of Froome though.

This Vuelta is annoying as ****. The medium mountain stages are always great to watch but as soon as the real mountains start the sky train comes to the front with the ultimate goal to put all cycling fans to sleep.

Unless something completely crazy happens Froome will win quite easily and the real question we should ask ourselves is when the giro starts ;)

Froome is in full control. He is on downward curve, but only one who is clearly stronger right now, is too far down. On Machucos and Angliru, a train is of negligible help, but unless Lopez does an unexpectedly great TT, the race for red is over.

I hope Contador gives up his semi-relevant GC position and concentrates fully on going out in blaze of glory by winning on Angliru.

1. Froome

He'll put a lot of time on his rivals during the TT. He and his team are strong enough to minimize his loses during last mountain stages.

2. Nibali

He'll ride a decent TT (compared to climbers) but still will lose at least about a minute to Alien.

3. Lopez

He has the momentum and will overtake a few GC rivals during last mountain stages. TT is a mystery though. Zakarin has also good chances for the podium.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Nibali, Lopez and Contador to break the race up on stage 18, its a Fuente Dé deluxe and Poels to have his trademark bad day. Nibali is winning and Froome can add another way to lose a Vuelta to his impressive Vuelta-*** ups palmarés.

Where do I sign to make this happen and condemn my soul to hell

damn, its illogical. when froome was attacking contador almost at any big finish or murito to be dropped on last km several years ago, i dont remember reading anyone praising him or calling him the race animator.a few years later nibali puts a few moderate digs at pandera and sierra nevada and becoming allegedly a more well-deserving race winner than froome.

Froome should win if he doesn't crash or have bad luck, I don't see him fading enough for others to catch him, he's still one of the strongest uphill now and is playing a sensible game. The only guy who could put him into trouble is Lopez but he could well be 5 minutes down on Tuesday.

Froome
Nibali
Zakarin

Will be close for final podium spot between Zakarin, Kelderman and Lopez (made hard to assess because Zakarin is so inconsistent in time trials and Lopez had ridden so few meaningful ones).

Whatever happens, the confirmation of Lopez as an elite GT rider has been the best thing to come out of this Vuelta.

TRENDING THREADS