• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who would you like to see in the rainbow jersey on Sunday?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Degenkolb would be very worthy. I do think people would be more excited if he had won after last year's season though, when he was a little more of an underdog, who people wanted to support on his way up. People are less eager to cheer for a rider after their upswing.

I'll say my preference this way: I want to see Degenkolb win. I don't want to see Germany win. Nothing national, just I want to see the active, classics-style Degenkolb, than the GT sprint train/team control kind of win. Just in terms of racing. A Sagan win would be good, because the only way for him to get there would be to grab the bull by the balls. Stybar to a lesser degree.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
^Whoever gets it should just wear black shorts and a white jersey with the rainbow stripes around.
Doesn't UCI has some kinda of rule that the team of the World Champ can't go all "Movistar" on the jersey but have to make the jersey white?
With the stripes, of course.

Perhaps, but several recent world champions have gone for the white shorts.

Right:

2012_tirreno-adriatico_stage2_mark_cavendish_world_champion_team_sky1a.jpg

Wrong:

403037646_e930541555.jpg

Re:

RedheadDane said:
^Whoever gets it should just wear black shorts and a white jersey with the rainbow stripes around.
Doesn't UCI has some kinda of rule that the team of the World Champ can't go all "Movistar" on the jersey but have to make the jersey white?
With the stripes, of course.

Agreed about the black shorts, white rainbow jersey--as long as it's not worn by Gerrans. Then I'll have some issues.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

elfed68 said:
I want to see a rider who's done well this season win, like Valverde, Greipel, Dekenkolb and Kristoff, and G if he was riding.

Hope it's a deserving rider, not someone who's only won this race.

Many deserved it in recent years.

Gilbert, Costa, and Kwiat. I guess you can say gilbert was pretty *** that year although he had some decent placements in some races.

Re: Re:

TMP402 said:
BigMac said:
Only teams whose regular bib shorts are coloured black may use black shorts with the rainbow jersey. For instance, last year for Costa it was either all white or blue shorts with rainbow jersey.

He should have gone with blue!

I agree. :)

RedheadDane said:
But why? Black goes with every colour without the... impracticabilities... of white shorts.

Because rules. :p

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
After Stephen Roche won the world title in 1987, it became a trend that most winners had a subpar to downright awful season, the year after. The jersey was doomed.

Stephen Roche 1987
Maurizio Fondriest 1988
Rudy Dhaenens 1990
Gianni Bugno 1991/1992 (for some arguable)
Lance Armstrong 1993
Luc Leblanc 1994
Johan Museeuw 1996
Laurent Brochard 1998

Things improved but so now and than, its still there (see Ballan and Kwiatkowski).

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Re:

More Strides than Rides said:
Degenkolb would be very worthy. I do think people would be more excited if he had won after last year's season though, when he was a little more of an underdog, who people wanted to support on his way up. People are less eager to cheer for a rider after their upswing.

I'll say my preference this way: I want to see Degenkolb win. I don't want to see Germany win. Nothing national, just I want to see the active, classics-style Degenkolb, than the GT sprint train/team control kind of win. Just in terms of racing. A Sagan win would be good, because the only way for him to get there would be to grab the bull by the balls. Stybar to a lesser degree.

You were right! Pretty cool race. Was good to see Sagan prove to himself that he doesn't have to wait for the sprint.

Re: Re:

Energy Starr said:
More Strides than Rides said:

You were right! Pretty cool race. Was good to see Sagan prove to himself that he doesn't have to wait for the sprint.
All of Sagan's big victories (at least one day races) are won because of aggressive, attacking riding: '15 WCRR, '14 E3, '13 Brabantse Pijl, '13 Gent-Wevelgem, '13 GP Montreal.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
This generation of one day riders is really cool. Sagan, Degenkolb, Kristoff; they all can win a GT bunch sprint, but still don 't count on it too much in one-day-races.
Also Vanmarcke, GVA, Boonen, Cancellara, ... can sprint of course. I think after a 250+ k race, it's just too unpredictable for all of these guys who would beat who in a flat out sprint.

KGB

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Re:

KGB said:
Well I go for Sagan opssss he is already world champion ok then I mean for 2016 he will be again.
And he did it.When he wheel sucking then he just can not lose.He starts to love this jersey more then green maybe in rainbow jersey for next few years? :surprised:
Well I go for 2017 with Sagan again.

TRENDING THREADS