• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

who would you like to see still riding ?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
luckyboy said:
I like Mayo, has he actually retired now? But anyway, these two, Merckx and Virenque.

Slightly related - I would've liked to have seen Eros Poli winning that Ventoux stage..

Mayo retired. Sad enough, but I can understand the decision.

Anyway, I would like to see many riders ride again.

Mayo, Beloki, Indurain, Bahamontes, Heras, Zoetemelk, Boogerd, Hinault, Jaja, Poulidor, Perico, Gaul, Pantani, can't name them all. All the heroes of the past basically. But I guess I have to live with old footage.

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Anybody who comes back to the sport deserves huge praise in my opinion. At the pro level it's a sport that is particularly difficult if you've been out of the game for awhile, so all power to those that are willing to get stuck back in.

A

Anonymous

Cipo.... From the crazy kits to the crazy quotes. He was fun and his Saeco lead-out train was so very cool to see in it's prime. Also, the day he won Gent/Wevelgem proved he was more than just a pure sprinter.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I'd obviously have liked to have seen the likes of Bartali, Coppi etc, but that'd take up pages and pages, so I'm just including riders I've actually seen;

Freddy Maertens.

Jacky Durand.

Robert Millar.

Dear old Badger.

His bestest pal Greg. ;)

J-P van P and the Superconfex boys (not that I liked him especially, just the sight of that lairy green train bearing down on a finish).

Erik Zabel (Communicated more enjoyment that any rider I've ever seen).

Marco. :(

Super Mario.

Charly Mottet.

I'd enjoy the return of Abdou, too. What a 24-carat loony he was. :D

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
hear, hear!!

He'd up the intrigue factor as well. He played the peloton politics as well as LA.
Otherwise:
Mottet
JaJa
Chiapucci-like to see him race clean so the little ******* would be dropped by the riders he mocked.

Bustedknuckle said:
hear, hear!!

I know! I would love to see what this looks like on a bike:

bettiniphoto_0041352_1_full_600.jpg

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Boeing said:
although he is a douche I'd like to see Tyler Hamilton still riding

yeah, any rider any age in their prime peak condition with no doping involvement at all ( as supposedly they raced clean at the time ) vs. today's peleton; just to see how well they would or wouldn't fare. I am an idealist and like to see things without blemish or scar. You put Tyler against Contador, who would beat the other up the tourmalet? Yep, that could be a heck of a spectacle.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Me.

And...Graeme Obree.

Could probably use a bit o' Cipo too.

And a handful of old time (pre-War) 'hardmen' to show these modern pu$$ies how it's done!

Brik Schotte!

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Steel4Ever said:
Me.

And...Graeme Obree.

Could probably use a bit o' Cipo too.

And a handful of old time (pre-War) 'hardmen' to show these modern pu$$ies how it's done!

Brik Schotte!

you were a pro ?