• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who would you prefer to be right now? Lance or Floyd.

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
At the end of the day I'd prefer to know that everyone who chooses to spend time with me does so because they like me instead of because of what they can get from me. And my guess is that Floyd knows that feeling while Lance does not. So I'd rather be Floyd.

May 14, 2010
Visit site
MR_Sarcastic said:
"Who would you rather be right now? Floyd or Lance."

Armstrong, without a doubt. He's got the money for nothing, and the chicks for free.

What does Floyd have, besides $80,000 in debts.......Wait, make that $580,000 in debt. Pending possible prosecution for fraud. Zero love life. Zero credibility, and .....oh yeah.....no job.

Armstrong has enough money to worm his way out of any legal problems. If need be, he can always have witnesses eliminated.

However this turns out, Armstrong will end up untouched. he is too big to fall.

Landis, on the other hand, can never redeem himself.

Now that sounds like arrogance, brimming over into hubris. Kenny-boy Lay was too big to fall (thanks to friends in high places), but the Texan we're talking about definitely is not. And he'd be plumb stupid to think otherwise.

datalore said:
Practically speaking, I would rather be Lance. He still has a chance to get through this with at least some of his finances and image intact. However, my feeling is that if Lance does get through this without a conviction, history will regard him as another O.J. Simpson. From a mental/emotional health perspective, I would absolutely want to be Floyd. Mental/emotional health is much more important than finances or public image, so I choose Floyd.

I hope you don't mind me pointing out the sheer idiocy of this statement.

la.margna said:
<snipped for brevity>
on the other hand, had i lance's money, i called a press conference today and would tell the guys:

"everybody with a brain knows what's been going on in professional sports and cycling. yeah, i did what all the others did. so while i did not cheat any of my contenders, i nevertheless apologise for my lies, for incorrectly deceiving public and sponsors. everybody makes mistakes. i'm not different. the fact that i was never caught shows, that something must be changed in the system. i hope my confession might turn around things in today's cycling and give a chance to young riders to fight for victory in a clean field. floyd, respect for the guts to come out with the truth."

That would be the smartest thing he could do. At some point I think it's what he will do.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention: I'd prefer to be Eddy Merckx.

Dr. Maserati said:
Nah - the only way for Lance is a full confession, that will never happen.

Money will never buy Lance any integrity or a clear conscience. He is a very poor man.

+1

A clear conscience versus a lifetime of conflict.

But the real hell is when his children realize the truth, that will be the final reckoning.

Dad's a fraud. Ouch.

Floyd has realized (as cliche as it sounds) that the truth will set you free.

Lance will never be free, he's already imprisoned by his enormous ego and deceit. The greatest fraud in history must be quite a burden.

No thank you. He can have the money.

Every penny is a reminder of the lie.

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
One has all the money in the world, a foundation, fame, 7 Tour titles. However won't admit all of this came by deception and its about to be indicted for a Federal trial which will be very expensive and probably result in a prison term.

The other is broke, owes money to lawyers, will be probably be charged with perjury, is considered untrustworthy but has confessed all his sins and is free as a bird.

Who would you rather be right now? Floyd or Lance.

This is a no brainer, Hog. The obvious choice is DZ for the following reasons:

1. Hot looking wife

2. A possible life after cycling as a stand-up comic

3. If 2 above does not pan out, he can always fall back on selling nut and t**t cream to a small segment of the population.

Floyd has credibility?

Dallas_ said:
1: Floyd has 100% credibility now, as opposed to 12 months ago
2: Did Floyd attempt to wreck Greg's business? nope
3: Can Floyd look Betsy or Greg in the eye? yep
4: Floyd helped Novitzky - lots of cred here
5: Did Floyd harras another rider during any tour to uphold the omerta? nope

This is a slam dunk, Floyd wins easily

The OP has not commented yet. Your turn hog

cheers

Floyd lied his glutes off for a long time after the TdF. Even now, he doesn't regret his doping. I can't avoid the fact that you can't dope without lies. He is perfectly willing to lie when it serves him. Now he's playing the whistleblower to get money. Will he lie or be truthful in seeking that goal? I have to conclude that he would take whatever path serves his interest at the time. That's not credible to me.

Floyd is with the good guys for now. That alone does not make him credible. A decent lawyer would melt his face on cross-examination. Floyd's word is dirt--unless it is corroborated.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Floyd lied his glutes off for a long time after the TdF. Even now, he doesn't regret his doping. I can't avoid the fact that you can't dope without lies. He is perfectly willing to lie when it serves him. Now he's playing the whistleblower to get money. Will he lie or be truthful in seeking that goal? I have to conclude that he would take whatever path serves his interest at the time. That's not credible to me.

Floyd is with the good guys for now. That alone does not make him credible. A decent lawyer would melt his face on cross-examination. Floyd's word is dirt--unless it is corroborated.

If Landis's word was not corroborated their would be no investigation ;)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
I would rather be Lance, bling, style,game. Floyd, oh not so much.

I do not like Flandis for blackmailing and not answering his hacking warrant.

As far as honesty, Lance is more honest than Floyd. Not saying much, but oh well.

+ Lance has a good future and family. Again Floyd not so much.

I would rather be Landis.

Landis has two balls. Lance, oh not so much.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Of course that is true. Floyd's credibility is still the pits, though.

LeMond, on the other hand, speculates too much, but I believe him honest.

i think Landis's credibilty rises everyday the investigation continues;)

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
MarkvW said:
Of course that is true. Floyd's credibility is still the pits, though.

LeMond, on the other hand, speculates too much, but I believe him honest.

"Floyd's credibility is still the pits" - well I think Floyd has previously agreed to that!

LeMond honest - yep, 100% cred for Greg. As an example 3 TDF wins clean. Name another American rider to beat that record?

Greg speculates too much. Not agree Mark - links please

cheers

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
C'mon man! Who wouldn't take the babes, riches, and fame over the inconvenient disgraced poverty of Landis? I doubt Amrstrong loses any sleep over the "training" he did en route to his palmares. I don't care if you are OJ, Roger Clemens, Madoff, or Armstrong, it pay$ to be a winner! Look @ Madoff - complete fraud, wrecked 100s of financial dreams, betrayed trust, behind bars for the rest of his life. Fellow inmates treat him like a God, and he had a great 20+ year run where he enjoyed the best the world had to offer. Clemens appears to be a liar, but he's still rich and famous. OJ's lawyers convinced a jury he didn't do it . . . Armstrong's gotta love his chances @ beating any charges.

TRENDING THREADS