• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who's a future GT winner?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who's a future Grand Tour winner?

• Thibaut Pinot

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Voted Froome (he can win Le Tour), Quintana (will be willing to ride Giro or Vuelta in order to win one), Pinot (can win Le Tour on the right route) & TJVG (can possibly win the Tour). I'm not saying they're the best riders, just think some riders are either forced to, or only want to, ride Le Tour and thus won't win a GT.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Pinot, TJ, Rolland, Talansky, & Quintana = All these boys could do it I think. Rolland & Pinot aren't great TT'ers, Quintana I'm not sure, but Talansky & TJ seem after this year that they are very good GT riders. Both can TT and climb rather well. I strongly disliked TJ before this year, but after his ride in the Tour, I believe he can do quite well.

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Pantani_lives said:
Quintana is exciting to watch, but winning a GT is difficult for those ultra-leightweights. Think of Perez Cuapio and Rujano.
He's not as small as Rujano - 59 kg according to the Movistar website (although I'm aware that such info is notoriously unreliable). As for Perez Cuapio...

One important difference between Quintana and the two you mention is that he has his head screwed on straight.

From the list - Froome, Quintana and Pinot. Would add Henao myself.
But for all of them and others on the list, it is important to choose wisely which GTs to enter each year. Among other things it requires acknowledging and accepting their limitations.
Anyway, when making right decisions about GTs they want to contest, most riders on the list above can, if not win then at least podium a GT in some point of their careers.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
sartoris said:
For the majority who voted for Froome ... I reckon it's wishful thinking rather than an opinion based on his real chances. A couple of reasons come to my mind that dismiss him as a future GT winner:

1) The whole Sky team and himself will be under closer scrutiny after their ridiculous performances this season (considering they're not caught first).

2) Contador will be racing. This alone is enough to guess that Froome only chances of winning are an absent, sanctioned, ill or crash/mechanical-handicapped AC.

I voted for Purito. His career is peaking and he's got a least a couple of good seasons ahead. He could win both Giro or Vuelta if the parcours suits him like this year.

go to the clinic with your bull**** :rolleyes:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Duartista said:
He's not as small as Rujano - 59 kg according to the Movistar website (although I'm aware that such info is notoriously unreliable). As for Perez Cuapio...

One important difference between Quintana and the two you mention is that he has his head screwed on straight.

59 kg is wrong. he is 167 and 52 kg. 51 kg in topshape. 53 kg in beginning of year.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Pantani_lives said:
Quintana is exciting to watch, but winning a GT is difficult for those ultra-leightweights. Think of Perez Cuapio and Rujano.

perez cupio wasn't exactly a super lightweight. as heavy as contador for instance.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Van Garderen, Froome are pretty obvious. less so is Rodriguez but possible next year at the Vuelta if Contador doesn't ride and with the time bonuses thing.

TRENDING THREADS