• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who's going to gain the most on the cobbles?

Who's going to gain the most?

• Treks

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Split between Mollema and Van gardren and voted for the latter.

He looks well up for a stab at GC and this will be a perfect opportunity to put some time into Froome.

I honestly think Van Garderen could be the suprise of this years TDF :eek:

Fight.The.Power said:
Split between Mollema and Van gardren and voted for the latter.

Genuine question: What's the thinking behind TJ? I'm not aware of him doing any cobbled, or even many one day, races and whilst I don't think his bike handling is bad he's not Nibali...

Aware he was Junior National Cross Champ. but that was when he was 14 his focus has changed a lot since then.

Anyway, in an obvious fan vote I went for Nibs. :cool:

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
BeagRigh said:
Genuine question: What's the thinking behind TJ? I'm not aware of him doing any cobbled, or even many one day, races and whilst I don't think his bike handling is bad he's not Nibali...

Aware he was Junior National Cross Champ. but that was when he was 14 his focus has changed a lot since then.

Anyway, in an obvious fan vote I went for Nibs. :cool:

Nothing more than a gut feeling.

He has no track record or cobbles at all, but the amount of cobbles is fairly limited anyway. He did have a top 20 L-B-L but that was his best of the classics (I think).

He is in great shape and is an opportunist. He is largely off the radar of the big GC riders and this will be a rare opportunity to take risks where others don't want to.

Fight.The.Power said:

He has no track record or cobbles at all, but the amount of cobbles is fairly limited anyway. He did have a top 20 L-B-L but that was his best of the classics (I think).

He is in great shape and is an opportunist. He is largely off the radar of the big GC riders and this will be a rare opportunity to take risks where others don't want to.

He has a decent group to help him: Burghardt and GvA.
This will be needed for sure.

Fight.The.Power said:

Thanks, wasn't sure if I'd missed or overlooked something.

Unless he gets loads of time tomorrow I see him top 10 overall as I don't see him following the more explosive guys in the mountains.

I think it's going to be pure luck. All you can do is to try maintain your position at the front of the peloton and hope any crash that's going to happen, happens behind you and that you can avoid mechanical in critical moments.

I don't think one GC contender will be able to drop another by simply attacking on cobbles, unless that another rider is not in a form to be in the top5 of GC anyway.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Kwiato. the only guy with real firepower to climb up in GC. this is also a targeted stage

i dont know whether TJ can follow the wheels of GVA.

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
maxmartin said:
rain actually may spoil things make GC contenders less prone to ride full force

They made the point on the GCN preview (here) that what counts here is power (as opposed to p/w ratio), meaning the bantamweight Froome is vulnerable. Add in the fact that anyone with outside GC hopes needs every second he can get and the only conclusion is that someone's going to have a right go tomorrow.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Not a fan of cobbles myself, if it rains, and it may well do the entire race could be thrown into chaos. I like pain and suffering on the high mountains not on day five. Hearts and dreams will be broken tomorrow i just hope bones aren`t.