• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who's retiring this year?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

yaco said:
Tuft is contracted for 2017 - Ridden well at the Vuelta and the TDF - Will be surprised if he retires.

And he's only been a pro since 05. There are guys in their 20s who have raced pro for the same time or longer than him. Ciolek for instance. In my theory of miles on the clock, rather than years, he still has something left to give. On the other hand, if my theory were true, maybe Péraud wouldn't be retiring.

Re: Re:

TMP402 said:
yaco said:
Tuft is contracted for 2017 - Ridden well at the Vuelta and the TDF - Will be surprised if he retires.

And he's only been a pro since 05. There are guys in their 20s who have raced pro for the same time or longer than him. Ciolek for instance. In my theory of miles on the clock, rather than years, he still has something left to give. On the other hand, if my theory were true, maybe Péraud wouldn't be retiring.

That's true, but age has also some influence. I agree with you regarding that "miles on the clock" theory. Depending on how much you have ridden, you could be over by your early 30s or keep on until your late 30s, but age does matter. You cannot begin racing at your 50s and ride until your late 60s :lol:

I would say a Pro carrer lasts for 7/8 years on average at your top level. Look at many eastern riders who are great at their early 20s but have to retire or have no level at all at their early 30s (Ignatiev, Popovych, Gusev, etc)

Roku said:
TMP402 said:
yaco said:

That's true, but age has also some influence. I agree with you regarding that "miles on the clock" theory. Depending on how much you have ridden, you could be over by your early 30s or keep on until your late 30s, but age does matter. You cannot begin racing at your 50s and ride until your late 60s :lol:

I would say a Pro carrer lasts for 7/8 years on average at your top level. Look at many eastern riders who are great at their early 20s but have to retire or have no level at all at their early 30s (Ignatiev, Popovych, Gusev, etc)

Yeah. Péraud shows if you enter late enough, you can be competitive up until about 38-40, but after that the body is just too far gone. If you enter later than most but not as late as JCP, you can be competitive into your mid 30s. Getting back to Tuft, his role has always been as a diesel and power is the last thing to go, as they say.

yaco said:
StryderHells said:
yaco said:
Chavanel announces his retirement - Will be missed from the peleton.

You were a big fan of Sébastien Chavanel? Or are you confusing him with Sylvain who is racing on next season :)

Ah - Confused Sebastian and Sylvain Chavanel ! Anyway Sylvain is contracted for 2017 so it willbe interesting to see if he continues in 2018.
He has a Tour participation record to break.

Alexandre B. said:
yaco said:
StryderHells said:
yaco said:
Chavanel announces his retirement - Will be missed from the peleton.

You were a big fan of Sébastien Chavanel? Or are you confusing him with Sylvain who is racing on next season :)

Ah - Confused Sebastian and Sylvain Chavanel ! Anyway Sylvain is contracted for 2017 so it willbe interesting to see if he continues in 2018.
He has a Tour participation record to break.

Wow, yeah, 2 to go!