• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who's retiring this year?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

yaco said:
Matt Goss moved quickly from chocolates to boiled lollies - My understanding is he didn't have the dedication to his craft that is required today - I also understand that he was on around a million dollars a year when he rode for OGE.

Well, if you stop enjoying it and therefore lose the motivation/dedication it might be a good time to stop.
Right, I know that it doesn't say directly that he'd stopped enjoying it, just that he'd lost the dedication. But I'd say that losing the dedication might have something to do with stopping to enjoy it.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Ikbengodniet said:
Johnny Hoogerland

This is so sad. Poor guy got his life completely messed up after the horrific accident. He will be missed, especially when these days 90% of the peloton are just a pack fodders and power-meter robots.

Re:

robin440 said:
didn't someone say that goss was also partying quite often? lol

He would not have kept getting contracts if that was the problem as the word would have got around. Sometimes when sportsmen have early success it does not make for a long career or a continually successful one. He obviously had ability and he seemed to have the motivation even after his early successes according to him but that was a long time ago now.

Re: Re:

Jancouver said:
Ikbengodniet said:
Johnny Hoogerland

This is so sad. Poor guy got his life completely messed up after the horrific accident. He will be missed, especially when these days 90% of the peloton are just a pack fodders and power-meter robots.
Yeah. The 2009 - 2011 version of the locomotive looked supercool. Always attacking. Always animating and entertaining the race. He really might've kept the polka dot jersey in 2011. Afterwards he simply never reached those heights again. Too bad he calls it goodbye now already. Thougt he would stay at Roompot a little bit longer as a teacher for the rookies.

movingtarget said:
robin440 said:

He would not have kept getting contracts if that was the problem as the word would have got around. Sometimes when sportsmen have early success it does not make for a long career or a continually successful one. He obviously had ability and he seemed to have the motivation even after his early successes according to him but that was a long time ago now.

It's an open secret that partying was part of the problem with Goss, he had a contract with OBE which is why he lasted that 3rd year with them instead of being moved on, then he was signed by MTN because he was a monument winner who could help with getting wild cards and came cheap but was moved on pretty quickly, same goes for why One Pro Cycling signed him and again only lasted a year but the difference this time looks like he decided it was time to move on. That big contract he signed with OBE went to his head and he lived it up a little to much and his career went backwards and never really recovered from that. He is a talented rider who just didn't have what it took to be a long term successful pro which is perfectly okay, I highly doubt I'd have the dedication and discipline to last in a job like that.

Re:

yaco said:
Matt Goss moved quickly from chocolates to boiled lollies - My understanding is he didn't have the dedication to his craft that is required today - I also understand that he was on around a million dollars a year when he rode for OGE.

Guess its time for Matty to head to the Winchester!

B61tYhiIgAA6waI.jpg

StryderHells said:
movingtarget said:
robin440 said:

It's an open secret that partying was part of the problem with Goss, he had a contract with OBE which is why he lasted that 3rd year with them instead of being moved on, then he was signed by MTN because he was a monument winner who could help with getting wild cards and came cheap but was moved on pretty quickly, same goes for why One Pro Cycling signed him and again only lasted a year but the difference this time looks like he decided it was time to move on. That big contract he signed with OBE went to his head and he lived it up a little to much and his career went backwards and never really recovered from that. He is a talented rider who just didn't have what it took to be a long term successful pro which is perfectly okay, I highly doubt I'd have the dedication and discipline to last in a job like that.

I have you on strava and you ride a fair bit!

Re:

yaco said:
Stryder Hells is spot on with his post - Goss took too much of OBE's rider budget and lacked professionalism.
2012 he was good, taking a Giro stage win amongst some other good results. Was unlucky not to get a Tour stage a couple of times that year as well. 2013 and 2014 he was anonymous though.

Scarponi said:
StryderHells said:
movingtarget said:
robin440 said:

I have you on strava and you ride a fair bit!

Ha! Awesome matey :) Not riding as much as I'd like this year but that happens

42x16ss said:
yaco said:
Stryder Hells is spot on with his post - Goss took too much of OBE's rider budget and lacked professionalism.
2012 he was good, taking a Giro stage win amongst some other good results. Was unlucky not to get a Tour stage a couple of times that year as well. 2013 and 2014 he was anonymous though.

Guess I forgot about his first year with Orica but you are right that 2012 wasn't a bad year for him and if I remember correctly him and Orica were chasing the Green at the Tour but came up against the beast that is Sagan, maybe if they had just looked for a stage win instead of the Green he might have bagged one.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Alexandre B. said:
Last competition day for Péraud today.

Barring DNF, he will finish his career with a 13th place in La Vuelta.

Not half bad. Class act, I'll always remember his crazy ride to 2nd in TDF a couple of years ago.

TRENDING THREADS