• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who's the unluckiest rider in pro cycling?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm going with Heinrich Haussler. Always (dunno why) had a soft spot for him, and I always felt like he could've accomplished many great things if not for that horrible crash at the Tour de Suisse 2010 caused by Cav.

000_par3300778_600.jpg

mark-cavendish-tour-de-suisse-crash.jpg

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
If you look at the most unlucky rider in the peloton, you have to look at injuries. Not to someone who is always up there, wins big races, but loses big too. That's just part of the job.

Kruiswijk is for example such u unlucky guy. Had so much talent, but after his Tour of Suisse 2011, it all went downhill due to injuries, crashed, sickness and other fysical problems.

I know he's already retired, but the most unlucky rider by far is Mauricio Soler. It already depresses me when i think about him and all his bad luck:(

Anderis said:
If finishing 2nd is considered unlucky, then Rohan Dennis should be considered unlucky, since he finished time trials on 2nd position 7 times since early 2013, but won none of them.
But I don't think finishing 2nd is unlucky enough to put you in contention to be the most unlucky rider in the peloton. I would certainly prefer to finish 2nd than to DNF if I was a professional cyclist.

Kwiatowski from Pais Vasco to throughout the Ardennes :):p

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Ruby United said:
Yeah, but, with respect to soler, that was one bad moment and he's not a current rider

Like i say, i know he not belong in this thread.

He crashed multiple times, had knee injuries, which cost him 2 Tours.

Pippo_San said:
I'm going with Heinrich Haussler. Always (dunno why) had a soft spot for him, and I always felt like he could've accomplished many great things if not for that horrible crash at the Tour de Suisse 2010 caused by Cav.

000_par3300778_600.jpg

mark-cavendish-tour-de-suisse-crash.jpg

Did something happened to him there? Like a serious injury or so?

He was one of my favs back in the day, but now he is completely gone. :confused:

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Walkman said:
Did something happened to him there? Like a serious injury or so?

He was one of my favs back in the day, but now he is completely gone. :confused:

Curious as well.
Also, the 2 photos seem to be contradictory.
The first shows Cav closer to the ground than the 2nd. Also, the polka dot jersey appears to be even with Cav in the 1st photo and behind him in the 2nd photo with no hand on the brakes in either. Nevertheless, Cav's wheel is bent in the 2nd one but not the first.

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Dan Martin is by far the most unlucky guy in the peleton. When he is in his best form he always crash. That crash in LBL was just hillarious... I hope he will have some more luck next year when he will be in my CQ team.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
ther00kie16 said:
Curious as well.
The first shows Cav closer to the ground than the 2nd. Also, the polka dot jersey appears to be even with Cav in the 1st photo and behind him in the 2nd photo with no hand on the brakes in either. Nevertheless, Cav's wheel is bent in the 2nd one but not the first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RNAYR3KPIg

Haussler's a good pick for unluckiest. In edition to crashes he's also lost a very good friend of his (another cyclist, can't remember the name) last year I think.

I've always liked him, would really like to see him get some good results and have better luck.

ther00kie16 said:
Curious as well.

Yeah they're not in order, the first comes "after" the second.
Anyway really, after that crash poor Haussler was never ever the same again.
Look at the video Afrank posted, he was giving 2010 Cav a run for his money.

I guess something clicked inside his head. A pity tho.

Afrank said:
Haussler's a good pick for unluckiest. In edition to crashes he's also lost a very good friend of his (another cyclist, can't remember the name) last year I think.

I've always liked him, would really like to see him get some good results and have better luck.

Think you're referring to Kristof Goddaert who died on Feb 18. this year.

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Pippo_San said:
Yeah they're not in order, the first comes "after" the second.
Anyway really, after that crash poor Haussler was never ever the same again.
Look at the video Afrank posted, he was giving 2010 Cav a run for his money.

I guess something clicked inside his head. A pity tho.

Yes, I realized the first comes after the second but seeing as how Cav's closer to the ground and Haussler is closer to him. However, what threw me was the wheel bending and then straightening out immediately. Also, I'm surprised cyclists don't break their hands more often seeing as how Cav's hand is smashing into the ground in that crash at probably 35mph.

And yea, Haussler's a sad story. Looks like he's put on weight ever since then. Hasn't helped his cause in the classics but he still gets my vote for bad-@$$ for doing many spring classics without gloves.
cn13039_670.jpg

Growing up in regional Australia tends to harden you up a bit, especially if you attempt to ride on the roads.

Haussler has never quite been the same after that TDS crash and Cav's reaction afterwards (and that of some teammates) was all class too :rolleyes: It was one of the main reasons I'll never really warm to him.

Pack Fodder

BANNED
May 14, 2014
Visit site
senatorrick said:
Geraint Thomas looked very strong and very capable of winning something this spring? Just can't stay on his bike! Luck or not??

I would say not. Too often, I think, for to be a coincidence.

Dan Martin would appear a rather unlucky racer.

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Pack Fodder said:
I would say not. Too often, I think, for to be a coincidence.

Dan Martin would appear a rather unlucky racer.

That's true, he's been crashing for years lol! And as for Purito he's far from unlucky I'd be very satisfied with his palmeres,

TRENDING THREADS