• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why did Andy Schleck abandon

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Since they changed their format, I can't get Cycling News (other than the forum) on my cell phone. I won't have access to my desktop computer until Tuesday.
I could easily access the news before the change, but now it freezes my whole cellphone if I try to access it.

Mar 12, 2009
www.actvets.cc
Doug Laipple said:
Since they changed their format, I can't get Cycling News (other than the forum) on my cell phone. I won't have access to my desktop computer until Tuesday.
I could easily access the news before the change, but now it freezes my whole cellphone if I try to access it.

Try http://www.pezcyclingnews.com, works well on my Palm Pro. Plus the site is a lot easier to use then the new version CN and has really good quality writing.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
cromagnon said:
Bad fish I heard.

Andy Schleck did not finish bad coming in mountain stage, just about the same in TDF - here he's 1:58 behind major contenders like Evans, while 1:20 something behind leader. However I didnt think Saxo Bank sent a winning team here in the Vuelta, and all has been true that Andy was just using vuelta for WC prep. Andy didnt do any prep coming in this race.

A

Anonymous

Doug Laipple said:

same problem here, i rely on the forum now for all my news and dont bother with the main site..

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
andy

How unfortunate; not only did vuelta loose#1 contender but Andys' retirement would have bettered Chris Horners potential.
I put Schleck A.,second only to Alberto in mountainous stage race.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Payo2000 said:
is it true that he is going to Liquigas?
:p

I don't think Liquigas is strong enough to satisfy his TDF ambition. plus, to purchase Andy, one has to bring Frank on board as well. A. Schleck is in a good position - no one really in a position to challenge his leadership within the team (Fuglsang has to earn it, as he f'ed up Vuelta, probably due to that running into truck), so he gets full support. Plus, he could still learn a lot from Fabian Cancellara, or if there would be another TTT, he would mimimize time loss...

I think the riders that stand a legitimate chance to win TDF are Contador, Schleck and Valverde.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dblueroom said:
I don't think Liquigas is strong enough to satisfy his TDF ambition. plus, to purchase Andy, one has to bring Frank on board as well. A. Schleck is in a good position - no one really in a position to challenge his leadership within the team (Fuglsang has to earn it, as he f'ed up Vuelta, probably due to that running into truck), so he gets full support. Plus, he could still learn a lot from Fabian Cancellara, or if there would be another TTT, he would mimimize time loss...

I think the riders that stand a legitimate chance to win TDF are Contador, Schleck and Valverde.

VALVERDE:eek:! i would rate quite a few riders before him!

Mar 12, 2009
www.actvets.cc
dblueroom said:

If I was a director of a team the last thing I would want is Frank on my team if I had Andy. You know that he is going to throw away a his chances to help his brother up the ladder. You only have to see the stupidity he pull last year on Ventoux and the year before on Alp de Huez

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
James Jordan said:
If I was a director of a team the last thing I would want is Frank on my team if I had Andy. You know that he is going to throw away a his chances to help his brother up the ladder. You only have to see the stupidity he pull last year on Ventoux and the year before on Alp de Huez

I think Frank was instrumental to Andy's 2nd this year at TDF (17th stage). The reason Andy was there to help Frank on Ventoux was because the chance of contesting for 1st place was gone - he couldn't dethrown Contador (he couldn't dislodge AC despite many attempts, and the time gap was too much to make up). Then naturally his responsibility was to help his teammate, regardless it was Frank or someone else. Though Frank will never win a race, face it, it's almost impossible to separate the bros.

The year before was different - Andy was a domestique for either sastre or frank. He never had a chance to seriously contest the podium. He made a mistake of hunger knock in the pyreness (got dropped) before made a lot of contribution to the team in Alpe D'huez...

James Jordan said:
What was he supposed to do? Drop the leader of the race (Frank) or chase Carlos Sastre down (team mate)? What kind of tactics is that?

Mar 12, 2009
www.actvets.cc
I still think Andy had the chance and the opportunity to get time on Alberto on Ventoux this year. Why he sacrificed this to get a domestic, even if he is his brother, on the podium is still a mystery to me.

James Jordan said:
I still think Andy had the chance and the opportunity to get time on Alberto on Ventoux this year. Why he sacrificed this to get a domestic, even if he is his brother, on the podium is still a mystery to me.

Where and when? While Contador appeared to be wincing a bit I don't recall any point where he appeared to be in any real trouble that would've made the ultimate Ventoux result any different than the other mountain stages.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Where and when? While Contador appeared to be wincing a bit I don't recall any point where he appeared to be any real trouble that would've ultimate Ventoux result any different than the other mountain stages.

Also of cause it's not like Schleck needed 30 seconds on Contador, everything short of 4 minutes 11 seconds is cosmetic and that's an awful lot of time. trying for the much more realistic objective of loosing Armstrong makes perfect sense to me.

TRENDING THREADS