• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why Did Steegmans Refuse to Sign the Anti-Doping Contract?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
would you sign it if you were required to " which called for, among others, the repayment of five times the annual salary if a rider were found to have doped. "

We all know how corrupt cycling is and can be, why sign such a document even if you were clean, especially for a Russian team?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Because some people actually do test positive without doping.

Who the hell would pay his salary for 5 years if you make a mistake?

not if he makes a mistake, if his team decides to 'spike' him....

Benotti69 said:
would you sign it if you were required to " which called for, among others, the repayment of five times the annual salary if a rider were found to have doped. "

+1. I think the principle is that, doping histories aside, you'd be looking at losing almost a career's worth of salary there. There's racing clean and there's being cleaned out!

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
The guy is returning to Quick Step, Patrick Lefevere, where, as we all know, doping was and is on the daily menu.
So, if you ask me, the reason that he didn't sign that ridiculous anti-dopong contract is not because he's clean and fears being spiked. No, it's simply because he's dirty and fears getting caught.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Challenged in court I would imagine such a contract would be declared unfair.

Sounds like Katusha are trying to say " look...were serious" more as a gimick than any reality.

Typical "seen to do" rather than actualy done..such is the history of much of pro sport.:rolleyes:

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
Challenged in court I would imagine such a contract would be declared unfair.

Sounds like Katusha are trying to say " look...were serious" more as a gimick than any reality.

Typical "seen to do" rather than actualy done..such is the history of much of pro sport.:rolleyes:

yep. but why sign it and give them the power of your agreement.

who wants to end up in court unnecessarily, because Katusha are hardly clean and why go along with a gimmick that they might use against you?

Steegmans probably not clean but a 'dope' either;)

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
ricara said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/is-steegmans-on-his-way-back-to-quick-step

According this article, Steegmans refused to sign Katusha's anti-doping contract. I think we all know the reason why, but what did he say publicly? Did anybody believe him?

Because Steegmans has a pair of huevos and knows how to conduct business in a professional manner. I'm as anti-doping as it gets, and there's no way I'd sign that kind of contract. I'm more shocked that the other pushovers WOULD sign it.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
Because Steegmans has a pair of huevos and knows how to conduct business in a professional manner. I'm as anti-doping as it gets, and there's no way I'd sign that kind of contract. I'm more shocked that the other pushovers WOULD sign it.

true. clean or dirty, no way one should sign that contract.
does anybody know: do teammanagers have similar clauses in their contracts?
E.g. "if one of your riders gets caught, then..."..?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Also remember, just because a team HAS such a contract with a rider, does not mean that the injured party must ENFORCE such a contract. The pro peloton is still run on a handshake in most instances. I'd imagine that there is the contract that is used to make the press think that they're serious, and then there is "what really happens" after a doping positive.

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I also had the same thoughts about the Radio Shack team. I wonder if they were under so much scrutiny that they had to cut back on their program, leaving Steegmans unable to "perform" to his usual level.

TRENDING THREADS